Coronavirus

Henry

11 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

You could argue wee pockets like Larkhall/Bridgeton/Gallowgate are maybe 55/45 but its fucking garbage theres actual tim/hun areas. 

Not strictly true,  Royston / Royston Hill  ( the Garngad)  is still like little Ireland to this day.  Bunting and street party when the Victims win the league.  That's about the only place I can think of though. 

7 hours ago, Joe pike said:

Well I remember a few years ago having a few pints with a couple of mates before a Rangers game.

We got speaking to some Huns who sat beside us.

Civil enough conversation until they asked if we stayed in the Protestant or catholic area of Aberdeen.

They just could'nt get it that religion means nothing up here.

And the latest in the series of lies from our very own correspondent Joe Pike. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
10 minutes ago, Parklife said:

And the latest in the series of lies from our very own correspondent Joe Pike. 

Why is that so hard to fathom? I lived in Glasgow for 4 years and as much as I loved the place, the undercurrent of religious bigotry is palpable. Especially in boozers, where I worked throughout my time at uni. Used to get the catholic/Protestant chat regularly. They’re utterly obsessed with it. Admittedly more with older generations but it was plenty. 

25 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

So much for sticking to the words...

He's got me on block because I asked him why he named himself after Joe Pike, so his feelings won't be hurt by my vicious barbs. 

15 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Why is that so hard to fathom? I lived in Glasgow for 4 years and as much as I loved the place, the undercurrent of religious bigotry is palpable. Especially in boozers, where I worked throughout my time at uni. Used to get the catholic/Protestant chat regularly. They’re utterly obsessed with it. Admittedly more with older generations but it was plenty. 

"They asked if we stayed in the catholic or Protestant area of Aberdeen"

It sounds like the most made-up piece of nonsense I've ever heard. I could almost believe it if he'd said they'd just asked if he was catholic or Protestant. Even then, given the rarity of such an interaction, he'd have been extremely unlucky to have run in to the kind of walloper that would ask such a thing.

Seems to be a bit of a myth amongst Aberdonians that everyone in Glasgow gives a fuck about such things. They don't. Maybe 20-30 years ago was different but it's certainly not the case now. I've been in some shitehole bars, in all parts of the city many, many times and never encountered such a thing. The story that someone randomly came up and asked what religion you are is not the common experience that Aberdonians like to portray it as. It's just another facet to the Glasgow obsession that many Aberdonians have. 

Just now, Parklife said:

He's got me on block because I asked him why he named himself after Joe Pike, so his feelings won't be hurt by my biscuits barbs. 

It sounds like the most made-up piece of nonsense I've ever heard. I could almost believe it if he'd said they'd just asked if he was catholic or Protestant. Even then, given the rarity of such an interaction, he'd have been extremely unlucky to have run in to the kind of walloper that would ask such a thing.

Seems to be a bit of a myth amongst Aberdonians that everyone in Glasgow gives a fuck about such things. They don't. Maybe 20-30 years ago was different but it's certainly not the case now. I've been in some shitehole bars, in all parts of the city many, many times and never encountered such a thing. The story that someone randomly came up and asked what religion you are is not the common experience that Aberdonians like to portray it as. It's just another facet to the Glasgow obsession that many Aberdonians have. 

Why do you think it’s portrayed by so many if there isn’t some truth in it? It’s far more common than you are admitting. But hey I’m just talking from my own experience of living there. I couldn’t comment on JP’s story as I wasn’t there, and neither were you. It definitely wasn’t as prevalent with folk my own age as it was with the older punters in the bars I’ll accept that. I witnessed two locals have a fight over it because one called the other a fenian. I was grilled one shift about what it was like in Aberdeen. I explained it wasn’t an issue and they genuinely couldn’t comprehend that it’s a place not steeped in religious hatred. Completely alien concept. 

3 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Why do you think it’s portrayed by so many if there isn’t some truth in it?

There's a lot of things portrayed on here, particularly in relation to Glasgow, that are nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

It’s far more common than you are admitting. 

Nothing to do with "admitting". Just reporting on my lived experience. 

Glasgow has plenty issues with sectarianism but randomly getting approached in pubs by strangers and asked your religion doesn't happen frequently. 

I could understand a conversation between colleagues and discussion on where you were from and how it was different to where you lived now featuring that. That's a world apart from strangers asking "are you from the catholic or Protestant part of Aberdeen" (it sounds even more made up with every read ?) though. 

55 minutes ago, Parklife said:

He's got me on block because I asked him why he named himself after Joe Pike, so his feelings won't be hurt by my vicious barbs. 

I once went into a bar across from Celtic park and got set upon by the locals, think they thought I was a proddie.

10 hours ago, Fridge said:

Well religion.was maybe the wrong word to use but they always try to work out if you support the opposite team from them - again in my experience.

And I have nothing against Glasgow but that’s what’s happened to me. Why would I make that up.

Given the shite you spout, only you could answer why you'd make it up...

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

As a poster heading for a major accolade - fucking disgrace that a fat Dundonian is even in the running - your sitting on the fence has been noted and should ensure that final selection will exclude you. This is Aberdeen. Have the fucking balls to say something man. 

Dinna start getting all grumpy wi me Rocket son, the people will decide. 

4 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Whoever they support, and if they even care about fitba, their control on certain parts and businesses of the city are as strong today as they've ever been. The lonely weeg resident will deny it of course.

Very true min. The only way we don't hear much about them is due to the News of the World no longer being in circulation. Ever Sunday Messrs. Thompson, Ferris, Campbell and McGraw would get a mention. 

13 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Not at all. Defending an innocent self to unjust attacks are always encouraged.

You are possibly younger than me so let me pass on the wisdom of my forum experience; be nice to others, tolerate the dozens of screaming faggots and the (very ?) occasional stupid bastard who post on here and then we all get along like little Fonzies. This strategy has served me well for 20+ years and that's why the moderators come to my aid when I need them most. I only got banned by telling them to go fuck themselves when I was bored. Not my wisest move. 

11 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

No 10 is shit. Run by horrible cunts for disgusting wannabe cretins. 

Ah no.

16 hours ago, Fridge said:

To be fair to RS if you walked into some ofthe roughest  bars im Aberdeen with a Glaswegian accent unless you were being a dick you would be umlikely to get any hassle.

I’m not sure I reckon I would be safe in a rough Rangers or Celtic bar in Glasgow with an Aberdeen accent. They do always try suss out your religion and where you are from in my experience whereas nobody gives a shit up here.

More pish and wind from you.