Coronavirus

Henry

3 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

The primary responsibility for looking after our children is parents - but society has a responsibility here too. That’s why the taxes of childless people like yourself go towards educating my kids.

Kids don’t just got to school to get “looked after” - they go do learn, to grow and develop into functioning adults. 

I accept that when schools aren’t open, then I have to make other arrangements to look after my children - this happens for a large part of the year where there are school holidays, weekends and any other time that isn’t a weekday between 9 and 3.20pm.

The last time schools were closed things were difficult but we managed. My wife was on maternity leave and I was working from home - so we juggled work, schooling a 5 year old and looking after a newborn.

This time, my wife is back at work...the 5 year old will be fine, she can read beyond her years but I’m sure I’d rather have a full time teacher for her than us! It’s only a couple of weeks - so we’ll cope, fortunate to be in the position where we’re both earning.

Looking after a 1 year old while trying to work though....fuck that.

I agree, it is partly societies responsibility. I'm totally ok with that. 

I like kids, they are non corrupted humans who can provide joy and just simply enjoy things without hesitation. My point is that during a pandemic, to moan that your kid isn't at school and you're having to make arrangements to take care of them, rubs me the wrong way, because that's your primary responsibility, as you said. 

It's a temporary situation, everyone has to adapt, parents included. I totally agree it's better that kids are at school, but in this instance, sacrifices have to be made. That's part of being a parent, surely? 

1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

"should, should, should" 

"I'm a firm believer..." 

You'd rather have the kids at school, spreading infection, because you can't adapt to the needs of your children? 

Surely, it makes more sense to have as many kids as possible at home, slowing the spread, instead of allowing it to continue, increasing the likelihood of them returning home in the future for another elongated period of time? 

"during a pandemic" 

If you have a kid who clearly won't be affected by covid it's perfectly natural that you don't want them to miss a year of their education whether it's "during a pandemic" or not

Can I respectfully request that if you don't have a dog in the fight(kid in school in Scotland) that you fucking shut up telling people that do what is best for them. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

You'd rather have the kids at school, spreading infection, because you can't adapt to the needs of your children? 

Surely, it makes more sense to have as many kids as possible at home, slowing the spread, instead of allowing it to continue, increasing the likelihood of them returning home in the future for another elongated period of time? 

Consi I don't live far from you, fancy coming over and tutoring my boy on phonics, maths and wellbeing? 

Just now, manboobs109 said:

"during a pandemic" 

If you have a kid who clearly won't be affected by covid it's perfectly natural that you don't want them to miss a year of their education whether it's "during a pandemic" or not

Can I respectfully request that if you don't have a dog in the fight(kid in school in Scotland) that you fucking shut up telling people that do what is best for them. 

Schools= virus spreading. 

Keep kids at home for now, or they'll be home for longer in the future. 

That's real world, surely?

3 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:I agree, it is partly societies responsibility. I'm totally ok with that. 

I like kids, they are non corrupted humans who can provide joy and just simply enjoy things without hesitation. My point is that during a pandemic, to moan that your kid isn't at school and you're having to make arrangements to take care of them, rubs me the wrong way, because that's your primary responsibility, as you said. 

It's a temporary situation, everyone has to adapt, parents included. I totally agree it's better that kids are at school, but in this instance, sacrifices have to be made. That's part of being a parent, surely? 

I agree that sacrifices have to be made if the evidence suggests that schools are part of the problem. If they need to be closed to reduce transmission then so be it.

But remember that the FM outlined that hospitality should not be prioritised ahead of education. If it’s a choice between  - I’d rather have schools open and see all pubs and restaurants closed. Sacrifices have to be made, you see.

8 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Last post. 

For the record 

I'm not complaining about looking after my children, educating them or any inconvenience to me. I'm not even bothered about impact on academic performance that much. 

I'm concerned about the impact on the social and development needs of young children, particularly those who need the social interaction with their peers the most. 

So kindly fuck off with the patronising comments about parents being unable to 'adapt to the needs of their children'  because you're barking up the wrong tree. 

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

It makes sense if you're nae in the position of people who are of the opposite opinion - that's what they're telling you min. You're right - fae your perspective. But nae from their's. Stop digging.

There's nae simple solution to this shitshow, that's the only truism.

Just now, manboobs109 said:

Consi I don't live far from you, fancy coming over and tutoring my boy on phonics, maths and wellbeing? 

I have moved back to Aberdeen, unfortunately no longer a Stobswell resident. I do miss it, though. Stobie.

I would of though, cause I'm a nice guy. 

You're making my point for me here though, you're finding it hard to teach your kid stuff, cause you're not a teacher, so you'd rather he went back to school because it's easier for you. Understandable. It's not about you though, or even your child, it's about society at large, and if it's beneficial to the slow of spread of infection for kids to be at home, that's what needs to happen. 

3 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We do the same Kelt.  We don't rely on the school for the education alone. 

You have an advantage over the Yanks if your kid is going to a UK school. Any Briton I've spoken to... and this is before I had a kid and massively influenced my decision-making when having a kid... but British expats who've come here with their kids have seen them tested at about two years ahead of the level that their American counterparts are at by the time they're in their teens. 

If my kid was going to a regular school he'd be learning, right now, at a level 11 year old British kids are at.  Because of the decisions we made, however, he's currently in advanced placement and has been offered testing to an International Baccalaureate... and if that sounds like I'm sliding a brag in then it's because I fucking am  ?  It took a lot of time and effort to produce a kid, in this fucking education system, who isn't a backwards muppet of the sort you're used to seeing this country produce. 

Anyway... point being... the more effort and fewer excuses a parent makes the better, because a parent's input can more than mitigate the lack of 'quality' education, or situations where their kids literally can't go to school in person... like right now. 

Just now, frankie_mac's_4 said:

It makes sense if you're nae in the position of people who are of the opposite opinion - that's what they're telling you min. You're right - fae your perspective. Stop digging.

There's nae simple solution to this shitshow, that's the only truism.

Totally agree with the last part. 

My opinion is based off infection rates, and that alone. Obviously everyone's situation is different, but it makes objective sense, without accounting for everyone's individual circumstance (which no governmental decision does) to have the kids at home for now, until it's safer for them to go back, and then they can hopefully go back for longer, in a world with no pandemic. 

I have moved back to Aberdeen, unfortunately no longer a Stobswell resident. I do miss it, though. Stobie.

I would of though, cause I'm a nice guy. 

You're making my point for me here though, you're finding it hard to teach your kid stuff, cause you're not a teacher, so you'd rather he went back to school because it's easier for you. Understandable. It's not about you though, or even your child, it's about society at large, and if it's beneficial to the slow of spread of infection for kids to be at home, that's what needs to happen. 

I'm not making your point. A well educated population benefits everyone. 

I can't teach my boy as well as a teacher because I'm not a teacher. 

3 minutes ago, Ke1t said:

You have an advantage over the Yanks if your kid is going to a UK school. Any Briton I've spoken to... and this is before I had a kid and massively influenced my decision-making when having a kid... but British expats who've come here with their kids have seen them tested at about two years ahead of the level that their American counterparts are at by the time they're in their teens. 

If my kid was going to a regular school he'd be learning, right now, at a level 11 year old British kids are at.  Because of the decisions we made, however, he's currently in advanced placement and has been offered testing to an International Baccalaureate... and if that sounds like I'm sliding a brag in then it's because I fucking am  ?  It took a lot of time and effort to produce a kid, in this fucking education system, who isn't a backwards muppet of the sort you're used to seeing this country produce. 

Anyway... point being... the more effort and fewer excuses a parent makes the better, because a parent's input can more than mitigate the lack of 'quality' education, or situations where their kids literally can't go to school in person... like right now. 

I lived in America for a few years as a kid, and can attest to this. 

Homework was always a huge struggle, with a one size fits all attitude and minimal help from the teacher. I was feeling pressure and anxiety as a 6/7 year old every time we were given homework because of the hassle it would cause when I got home.

Its no wonder so many American kids join the army and police force. 

1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

I'm not making your point. A well educated population benefits everyone. 

I can't teach my boy as well as a teacher because I'm not a teacher. 

Yes, it does benefit everyone! 

But you're only teaching him for a few months, this is what the chips have dealt. No one is saying you're gonna have to help him with his Highers. It's a temporary hardship that's a necessary thing, to the benefit of everyone else right now. 

6 minutes ago, Ohjimmyjimmy said:

I agree that sacrifices have to be made if the evidence suggests that schools are part of the problem. If they need to be closed to reduce transmission then so be it.

But remember that the FM outlined that hospitality should not be prioritised ahead of education. If it’s a choice between  - I’d rather have schools open and see all pubs and restaurants closed. Sacrifices have to be made, you see.

I'd rather that too. Schools being open is the most important thing to me, to society. 

Schools being open is more important than ludicrous Christmas get togethers that our governments are now saying are A-okay too. 

We're all going without right now and sometimes it's easy to focus on what WE are losing, what WE are going without and not understand what others are. A bit more patience and a bit more understanding from everyone would be a good thing just now  

1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

I lived in America for a few years as a kid, and can attest to this. 

Homework was always a huge struggle, with a one size fits all attitude and minimal help from the teacher. I was feeling pressure and anxiety as a 6/7 year old every time we were given homework because of the hassle it would cause when I got home.

Its no wonder so many American kids join the army and police force. 

Anxiety? As a 6 year old? 

Fucking hell man

• Upvote 3
1 minute ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Yes, it does benefit everyone! 

But you're only teaching him for a few months, this is what the chips have dealt. No one is saying you're gonna have to help him with his Highers. It's a temporary hardship that's a necessary thing, to the benefit of everyone else right now. 

I would if he was away to sit his highers

1 minute ago, cheesepipes said:

Its out the window when he discovers cocaine and pussy. 

?

As long a he can make it over the line and get his degree then he can snort all the coke off all the herpes stripper's tits he wants... I'll have done my job. 

Little fucking cunt that he is. 

• Haha 1

Totally agree with the last part. 

My opinion is based off infection rates, and that alone. Obviously everyone's situation is different, but it makes objective sense, without accounting for everyone's individual circumstance (which no governmental decision does) to have the kids at home for now, until it's safer for them to go back, and then they can hopefully go back for longer, in a world with no pandemic. 

It doesn't make OBJECTIVE SENSE to parents of kids who have financial concerns, worries about their kid's schooling or who don't feel any health risks outweigh the above.

That's my point.

38 minutes ago, NEM said:

I think you need to go ask a grown up to explain how percentages work ?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-52968523

The more infections, the more deaths, what am I missing there? 

There's an article of people much more qualified than either of us, suggesting the outcome if we didn't have a lockdown. 

And another point, if we're all overreacting to this, then why? Is it a conspiracy? Are the government damaging the economy and costing millions of jobs for a lol? 

I hear this a lot from people, "it's an overreaction" blah blah. How, exactly?  

Just now, frankie_mac's_4 said:

It doesn't make OBJECTIVE SENSE to parents of kids who have financial concerns, worries about their kid's schooling or who don't feel any health risks outweigh the above.

That's my point.

And a fair point it is. 

Taken.

15 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

How long for? Covid will always exist, even after the vaccine is rolled out. Is 1 year enough education to miss? Do we close down next winter? 

Tough to say, but for now it's temporary. Anything over a year would concern me, a childless idiot. 

3 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

In practical terms a couple of weeks off school won't make as affect my boy as much as his family being plunged into poverty and the very real prospect of him losing his family home. 

But covid innit. 

Sorry if that's your situation, and I genuinely hope you can find a way through it. 

I know of a few self employed people who've been fucked over rotten by this. Sunaks net didn't catch everyone, when it should've.