Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Coronavirus

Henry

2 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Was enjoying this thread until the Parklife and Rocket show came on the go yet again. 

@Bebo can we stop this pish? Happens on almost every thread, embarrassing for both of them. 

Or yous could just have a day off with arguing with a random person about fuck all on the internet. Cmon to fuck.

Rocket v Parklife with Bad Mobby refereeing while dressed as a Storm Trooper. Classic Hat.

And correct Moobs, I was behind the push to make you POTY. All that chicaneeeee as frazzled Mobs brain. 

500 cases of Covid in Thailand yesterday after having nothing for months on end. Here we go. 

6 hours ago, Singapore Steve said:

Have not read all the previous comments, but have just woken to see that the UK is going back into full on lockdown.  What impact does this have on the football,  will games now be cancelled ?

No chance games will be cancelled.

Bread and circuses.

Whether the bread keeps coming could be another thing altogether tho'.

• Admin
5 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Was enjoying this thread until the Parklife and Rocket show came on the go yet again. 

@Bebo can we stop this pish? Happens on almost every thread, embarrassing for both of them. 

Or yous could just have a day off with arguing with a random person about fuck all on the internet. Cmon to fuck.

Noted.

8 minutes ago, Henry said:

@ConsiCanBoogie1903

is there evidence of schools being super spreader environments? 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/politics/fear-covid-spreading-faster-claimed-schools-teachers-mark-down-self-isolation-3040168%3famp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-keeping-schools-open-could-lead-to-longer-lockdown-scientist-warns-12120428

Gew different articles I read there, that I had to go back and find. 

There is no statistical evidence being provided that schools being open causes a faster spread. What I would argue, is it's a virus with a variant of symptoms (or sometimes none at all) so how can "evidence" show anything like that?  

Children also show different symptoms of the virus, and to my knowledge there aren't mass testing regimes going on at any school? So how can they say with certainty that kids aren't going to school, not exhibiting symptoms, and passing them to other kids and then the wider community? 

Like I say they aren't handing out tests, it's teachers finding out they have symptoms, then having to isolate. The top article suggests that due to the desperation for schools to stay open, they are telling teachers to not name all the kids they've been in close contact with. If everything else is shut to slow the spread, why wouldn't schools be? 

18 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/politics/fear-covid-spreading-faster-claimed-schools-teachers-mark-down-self-isolation-3040168%3famp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/coronavirus-keeping-schools-open-could-lead-to-longer-lockdown-scientist-warns-12120428

Gew different articles I read there, that I had to go back and find. 

There is no statistical evidence being provided that schools being open causes a faster spread. What I would argue, is it's a virus with a variant of symptoms (or sometimes none at all) so how can "evidence" show anything like that?  

Children also show different symptoms of the virus, and to my knowledge there aren't mass testing regimes going on at any school? So how can they say with certainty that kids aren't going to school, not exhibiting symptoms, and passing them to other kids and then the wider community? 

Like I say they aren't handing out tests, it's teachers finding out they have symptoms, then having to isolate. The top article suggests that due to the desperation for schools to stay open, they are telling teachers to not name all the kids they've been in close contact with. If everything else is shut to slow the spread, why wouldn't schools be? 

An article from a couple of days ago stating the school virus rates is in line with the wider community rate:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-55340597

32 minutes ago, Henry said:

An article from a couple of days ago stating the school virus rates is in line with the wider community rate:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-55340597

So, if everything else is shut down, shouldn't schools be too? 

If you're trying to suppress the virus wouldn't it make sense to have schools shut at the same time as everything else? 

10,000 pupils tested...I presume that was from a wide range of areas where the virus is spreading at different rates? 

Even then, is that enough of a sample size to say it's OK for schools to stay open. 

IMO they'll do anything to keep the schools open due to the undoubted clusterfuck it provides parents with work/working from home etc etc. Kids are surely safer being at home like everyone else is going to have to be, than continuing to go to school and potentially spread the risk? 

For me, and I've said it all along. If the goal is to suppress the virus, a full and unwavering lockdown is what would be required for a period of time. Doing some sectors but not others, changing times and places people can meet blah blah isn't going to change much. 

Shut everything down for a bit, properly. Then see where we're at. 

2 minutes ago, Millertime said:

So, of the 490k people expected to die in the 10/11 months since this Bullshit all started, 60k people have died, who tested positive within 28 days of dying (from a test not recommended to be mass-used like it has been as it is far too unreliable) and who,  on average, were 82.

And we are STILL invoking nationwide lockdowns?

Its beyond a farce and an absolute red neck that people aren't rioting 

This "new strain" shit, there have been countless new strains already but they are only homing in on this being the stick to beat us back down with because they have ran out of excuses with the original one

"Excess deaths" now zero and very much in line with previous years

Shouldn't matter that they were 82. 

The attitude of "they were old anyway" isn't one a competent government can adopt. It's not been a secret, we've been protecting elderly people, people with disabilities that make them more likely to die from COVID and those suffering from respiratory illnesses since the start. 

My Grandma is 72, she has COPD, Asthma, Diabetes etc etc. If the Scotgov adopted an attitude akin to yours, I'd be fuming. 

4 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Shouldn't matter that they were 82. 

The attitude of "they were old anyway" isn't one a competent government can adopt. It's not been a secret, we've been protecting elderly people, people with disabilities that make them more likely to die from COVID and those suffering from respiratory illnesses since the start. 

My Grandma is 72, she has COPD, Asthma, Diabetes etc etc. If the Scotgov adopted an attitude akin to yours, I'd be fuming. 

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm presuming your Grandma will be "shielding" anyway so why does me not being able to visit my mum make any difference? 

19 minutes ago, Millertime said:

So, of the 490k people expected to die in the 10/11 months since this Bullshit all started, 60k people have died, who tested positive within 28 days of dying (from a test not recommended to be mass-used like it has been as it is far too unreliable) and who,  on average, were 82.

And we are STILL invoking nationwide lockdowns?

Its beyond a farce and an absolute red neck that people aren't rioting 

This "new strain" shit, there have been countless new strains already but they are only homing in on this being the stick to beat us back down with because they have ran out of excuses with the original one

"Excess deaths" now zero and very much in line with previous years

“It’s beyond a farce and an absolute red neck that people aren’t rioting”.

Go on then hard man, arrange a march to Holyrood 

The only “red neck” (aside from that ridiculous Glaswegian expression) is your posturing & whining, when the reality is that you & your freakishly large chin will do the square root of fuck all. 

6 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm presuming your Grandma will be "shielding" anyway so why does me not being able to visit my mum make any difference? 

Not taken the wrong way at all. She was shielding. No longer. Maybe in the new year she'll be told to do so again. 

If you visit your mum, you've got it without knowing, someone else visits her, then they've got it, so on and so forth. 

I admittedly haven't been to see my grandmother in a while because I work in a place full of folk untested, and I've been a bad boy occasionally on the weekends, going to a few house parties. 

My point was just you can't focus on the fact it's killing mostly elderly people, because their lives are still worth something. There is no age a person reaches where they just decide 'fuck it, just let me die.' 

They've never hidden who they are trying to protect. 

10 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Where do you get your notion that "the UK is the worst in the world for avoiding tax"?

Putting aside the terminological error between avoidance and evasion, are you saying that the Brits are worse than the Greeks?

Is this figure perhaps got to by the amount of big corporate non-payments rather than individual evasion (tax avoidance being legal)?

Yeah, the latter of what you said. 

Tax that could be paid but isn't by virtue of loophole. To me, that's still avoiding tax. If I pay more income tax than a huge corporation like Starbucks, on a salary of less that £25,000 a year, I'd say that's a problem. 

My criticism of the government is they should go after these corporations, and individuals, who find loopholes in the system. Close the loopholes, it's not like they'll take their business elsewhere, as long as there's money to be made on these shores. 

It's tax avoidance in discussing, not evasion. 

Both morally reprehensible. 

3 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Not taken the wrong way at all. She was shielding. No longer. Maybe in the new year she'll be told to do so again. 

If you visit your mum, you've got it without knowing, someone else visits her, then they've got it, so on and so forth. 

I admittedly haven't been to see my grandmother in a while because I work in a place full of folk untested, and I've been a bad boy occasionally on the weekends, going to a few house parties. 

My point was just you can't focus on the fact it's killing mostly elderly people, because their lives are still worth something. There is no age a person reaches where they just decide 'fuck it, just let me die.' 

They are going the wrong way about it though. They could concentrate resources on protecting the vulnerable. This ever tightening lockdown isn't working so surely it's not unreasonable to look for the authorities to change direction. They have known about this for a year after all. 

Guest milne_afc
8 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Why though? Is it guilt for the early killing of care home residents?

Why protect people who have lived their lives at the expense of young, healthy people who contribute to society. Political optics imho.

As an aside, POTY should be collecting early on his bets.

1 minute ago, manboobs109 said:

They are going the wrong way about it though. They could concentrate resources on protecting the vulnerable. This ever tightening lockdown isn't working so surely it's not unreasonable to look for the authorities to change direction. They have known about this for a year after all. 

I'm with you, totally. All these restrictions do is kick the can further down the line, we seem to be in an endless cycle of open, close, open, close, open, close. They have to strategise better, but they also can't just do nothing. 

I totally agree they could have things like community bubbles in place, you could connect vulnerable people and keep them in their own bubbles, meaning they won't get lonely when shielding etc etc. 

Another problem there is though, someone like me has the good sense to say, 'OK, I work in a busy untested environment, I've been stupid and went to a few after parties after being on the sauce, so I won't visit my grandma until any potential illness I've contracted leaves my system.' 

You'll get folk who don't have the foresight to do that, and just want to do it all. They want the nights out and to see their grandparents, when that just won't work. 

2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I don't agree with your terminology. Avoidance is not morally reprehensible. I'm not talking about EBT's. Evasion is illegal. Giving to charity or spending more than we need on capital equipment this year for stuff we could've waited for next year is good financial management.

You never provided your source?

It was my impression that the Greek exchequer receives way less per capita than the U.K. one does. Unless I misheard Yanis Varoufakis in an interview once and he should know, having worked there. 

I know most businesses employ someone almost specifically to find tax loopholes. I know how it works, I just don't agree with it. 

I ain't clued up on Greek politics, or their tax situation. 

UK is the greatest enabler of tax avoidance:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/28/uk-and-territories-are-greatest-enabler-of-tax-avoidance-study-says

£182billion in potential tax here: 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2020/nov/20/427bn-a-year-lost-to-tax-abuse-by-firms-and-rich-individuals-study-finds

It's the foreigners though, who refuse to pay their way in this country!