Coronavirus

Henry

2 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

ICD-10 list of diseases

That second quote ballsed up...  

I have very little idea about medical issues, but it does seem simplistic to say that the figure is attributable solely to flu deaths.  Are all of these caused by infection?  Doesn't look like it to me...

Flu leads to quite a few of these. Sure some might just be others but the seasonality of the numbers shows flu is a substantial change percentage, given dying of something like lung disease is a year round thing.

23 minutes ago, BrianFaePerth said:

Flu leads to quite a few of these. Sure some might just be others but the seasonality of the numbers shows flu is a substantial change percentage, given dying of something like lung disease is a year round thing.

Agreed the high numbers in the winter months reducing to now show that flu is a significant proportion of the cases in the winter months.  What it doesn't show is what proportion of cases they are now. 

What if the range we have seen since May of roughly 700-1,000 respiratory deaths are almost entirely the non-infectious versions respiratory diseases caused by other issues (like lung disease)?  That is what the data looks like to me.

• Upvote 1

Apparently flu deaths are really hard to count as its not a notifiable disease and it's generally recorded as pneumonia when people die. I'd imagine the majority of covid deaths have actually been pneumonia that finished them off but covid is recorded because its notifiable. 

We'll never know how many people truly died from it. 

If they die, they die. 

6 hours ago, Parklife said:

You stick to drinking cans on a Tuesday night & blaming immigrants for your issues. 

Wank 

You've used that line on me before and it still doesn't make sense.  I've never blamed immigrants for my 'issues',  whatever they are. Think you're confusing me with someone else?  You're right about 1 thing though,  I was on the cans.  ?

• Admin
5 hours ago, Foster14 said:

I'm perhaps being an idiot, but where are the flu deaths in the spreadsheet?  Couldn't see it, nor find it when I searched the whole workbook for flu.

You'll be wanting to look at excess deaths anyway. The difference in deaths compared to the last few years on average for the same period.

A lot of countries have been hiding their covid deaths as other things, but you can't hide behind excess deaths.

2 minutes ago, Bebo said:

You'll be wanting to look at excess deaths anyway. The difference in deaths compared to the last few years on average for the same period.

A lot of countries have been hiding their covid deaths as other things, but you can't hide behind excess deaths.

Also lower than the five year average for the past 5 or 6 weeks 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Millertime said:

You can't, no

But you can easily argue the excess deaths being down to general health care taking a back seat 

But you could also argue excess deaths could decrease because there would be less accidents due to lockdown. Less cars on the road, etc.

Ex Chancellor Lawson utterly nailed it on Sky today, he said Lockdown had been an utter failure that had destroyed the economy and had very little effect on death rates, pointed to Sweden (who are not in recession) as an example. You can't help but think it was such a pointless exercise, nothing was going to stop the at risk groups dying but now on top of that we have a decimated economy, the deaths from that are going to be huge. Furlough not even ended and we're in deep recession, it's going to get fucking grim.

Meanwhile in utopia we're still in lockdown.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Weird that he'd pick the country in Scandinavia that's performed the poorest in terms of both economics and public health as an example of good practice. 

Its almost like the realities aren't important and he's just grabbed on to anything that fits his predetermined standpoint. 

C'mon Parky. The lockdown has been a pointless disaster. If they'd protected the vulnerable and let the rest of us carry on we'd be in a much better place at the minute. 

A few wise old owls were saying it right from the start. 

One thing I will concede is that an economy built on people travelling into offices unnecessarily and buying shit like over priced coffee and sandwiches was always a bit precarious anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
6 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

C'mon Parky. The lockdown has been a pointless disaster. If they'd protected the vulnerable and let the rest of us carry on we'd be in a much better place at the minute. 

It's got the virus to controllable levels. If it'd happened Earlier and more aggressively, it'd have been suppressing from much lower levels in the first place and would've been much shorter. 

A few wise old owls were saying it right from the start. 

Yeah, I mind all the posts banging on about Sweden. The Scandinavian country with the worst health and economic impact. The country where it's health professionals are writing open letters condemning the policy decisions made previously.  

One thing I will concede is that an economy built on people travelling into offices unnecessarily and buying shit like over priced coffee and sandwiches was always a bit precarious anyway. 

Well, you can blame Thatcher and her disciples for that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
36 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Weird that he'd pick the country in Scandinavia that's performed the poorest in terms of both economics and public health as an example of good practice. 

Its almost like the realities aren't important and he's just grabbed on to anything that fits his predetermined standpoint. 

It’s a marathon not a sprint. Years from now we’ll know what was right.

It’s not even possible to compare cases. Sweden counts them more liberally than for example Norway. You can’t even get tested for the covids in Norway without a doctors referral and then it takes 7-10 days to get tested.

3 minutes ago, BrianFaePerth said:

It’s a marathon not a sprint. Years from now we’ll know what was right.

I don't disagree but unless we're going to just all agree that and stop discussing it now, we can only use the information available. 

3 minutes ago, BrianFaePerth said:

It’s not even possible to compare cases. Sweden counts them more liberally than for example Norway. You can’t even get tested for the covids in Norway without a doctors referral and then it takes 7-10 days to get tested.

Again, I agree. It's actually pretty difficult to even find out how each country is recording cases and deaths. 

1 hour ago, jamiesd said:

The test is just not up to the task , wouldn't trust it.  Just my opinion mind.  People not left house in months one guy gets tested not left house since April no contact with anyone, no symptoms and is positive.  Either its flying aids or the test is pish

Do you know him ?

Might have caught the germs off something delivered to him.

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Let me think about this one, will I take the wise words of Nigel Lawson, one of the most successful chancellors in British history and a former member of the government cabinet for 8 years or will I put my faith in parklife off fitba forum Afc chat, it's a fucking tough one that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
3 hours ago, jamiesd said:

The test is just not up to the task , wouldn't trust it.  Just my opinion mind.  People not left house in months one guy gets tested not left house since April no contact with anyone, no symptoms and is positive.  Either its flying aids or the test is pish

It'd be interesting to know the test accuracy rate. Anyone know?