Coronavirus

Henry

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

A very ill-conceived strategy. By far the worst move made by the Scottish government. 

Given it was also the Tory plan down south, I await your condemnation of them

Unless you're just using dead folk as a political chip to have a pop...

I can tell you from personal experience that putting patients into inappropriate care settings just to free up beds has been Scottish NHS policy for years. This isn't a covid thing. It's been swept under the carpet and this nonsense has shone a light on it. 

People have died as a result of this before but because it wasn't a covid death no one gave a shit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
15 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

I can tell you from personal experience that putting patients into inappropriate care settings just to free up beds has been Scottish NHS policy for years. This isn't a covid thing. It's been swept under the carpet and this nonsense has shone a light on it. 

People have died as a result of this before but because it wasn't a covid death no one gave a shit. 

Church. My experience too.

6 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

The vast majority of Aberdonians are happy with the extended lockdown .

They see the bigger picture and the long term benefit.  

Don't think it is the lockdown that is the problem.

Not everybody goes out drinking.

It is the way Aberdeen is being used as a warning to other cities and towns in Scotland.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

It's really nae. 

The curtain twitching mentality which I've already said is not healthy for anyone. 

Grandparents feart to see grandkids due to said curtain twicthers. 

Businesses on their knee's. Not talking just about pubs. Cafe's etc. Melt is an example. Will be the first of many to go. I'd imagine. 

The main reason for this lockdown was transmission of Covid in pubs. This she said is now under control but is now higher in the community. If so why is Aberdeen the only place (I've said previously I don't want anywhere locked down). Equally high numbers elsewhere the last few days. 

No reason imo why she couldn't drop thr 5 mile limit and open cafes etc. 

We'll never all agree on this anyway!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
42 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

It’s only cunts who ‘miss a cold pint’  that are moaning about it . 

Nope. I have a grandparent in ARI and another In a care home with dementia in the city and neither have been able to have a visitor since lockdown started. I'm sure there's many others in a similar position too. The fact they're persisting with the lockdown when, as far as i'm aware, no-one has been seriously ill enough to need admitted to hospital is non-sensical. It seems utterly barmy to continue to drive the countries economy into the ground over a handful of folk with apparently mild symptoms.

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It's really nae. 

The curtain twitching mentality which I've already said is not healthy for anyone. 

Businesses on their knee's. Not talking just about pubs. Cafe's etc. Melt is an example. Will be the first of many to go. I'd imagine. 

The main reason for this lockdown was transmission of Covid in pubs. This she said is now under control but is now higher in the community. If so why is Aberdeen the only place (I've said previously I don't want anywhere locked down). Equally high numbers elsewhere the last few days. 

I don't disagree with much of what you are saying. 

I particularly don't understand the lack of consistency in how things are being done.  I can understand the pubs etc to a degree, but the five mile limit seems ridiculous, when you have no such limitation being applied on Coupar Angus as an example.  900 people asked to self isolate, but nothing is suggested to the wider community.  That doesn't make sense compared to the Aberdeen situation.

I don't understand why if I, living in the Shire, could have someone I live with go to work in Marks and Spencer in Aberdeen, but I'm not allowed to go shop there.  

I don't understand why someone living in Kingswells who never went near any of the cluster pubs and doesn't know anyone that did is not allowed to go inside someone else's house, but someone in Westhill who could have been in a host of the cluster pubs can still go inside someone's house.  The same also applies to that person from Kingswells, can't go more than 5 miles away from their house, but the person in Westhill can go off on their holidays.

On Melt though, I feel it was never the most sustainable business.  The owner seemed to be consistently out with the begging bowl in the papers, crowdfunding attempt after crowdfunding attempt and complaining when they didn't get as much as she needed. 

For months, and still currently, you can provide takeaway.  It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to adapt to become a decent takeaway business if you had a loyal customer base keen on your product.

EDIT: I think my main point is there will be some businesses surviving purely because of the support being offered just now that otherwise would have fallen by the wayside.

1 hour ago, Sooper-hanz said:

It’s only cunts who ‘miss a cold pint’  that are moaning about it . 

Tell that to the businesses that won't open again, tell that to the staff who longer have jobs. If it was just about pubs she could have just closed them, she's given zero thought about the local economy as she knows it won't be her that has to pick up the pieces.

57 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It's really nae. 

I just posted much the same before reading this.

19 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

I particularly don't understand the lack of consistency in how things are being done.  I can understand the pubs etc to a degree, but the five mile limit seems ridiculous, when you have no such limitation being applied on Coupar Angus as an example.  900 people asked to self isolate, but nothing is suggested to the wider community.  That doesn't make sense compared to the Aberdeen situation.

I don't understand why if I, living in the Shire, could have someone I live with go to work in Marks and Spencer in Aberdeen, but I'm not allowed to go shop there.  

I don't understand why someone living in Kingswells who never went near any of the cluster pubs and doesn't know anyone that did is not allowed to go inside someone else's house, but someone in Westhill who could have been in a host of the cluster pubs can still go inside someone's house.  The same also applies to that person from Kingswells, can't go more than 5 miles away from their house, but the person in Westhill can go off on their holidays.

On Melt though, I feel it was never the most sustainable business.  The owner seemed to be consistently out with the begging bowl in the papers, crowdfunding attempt after crowdfunding attempt and complaining when they didn't get as much as she needed. 

For months, and still currently, you can provide takeaway.  It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to adapt to become a decent takeaway business if you had a loyal customer base keen on your product.

EDIT: I think my main point is there will be some businesses surviving purely because of the support being offered just now that otherwise would have fallen by the wayside.

Agree with pretty much all of this. 

53 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

At the end of the day the decision is for the greater good though . 

Short term pain , long term gain imo

there's no long term gain really though. it could quite easily happen again as soon as the lockdown is lifted. 

lockdown is a blunt tool which represents either a failure in the track and trace system or a lack of faith in the track and trace system by the government.  if hospital admissions were dramatically and suddenly on the rise I could understand a lockdown but why don't they just let the track and trace do it's job?

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Melt moved to Belmont street as they'd outgrown their old place, was always busy. Offices and pubs are empty due to the lockdown, who is buying the takeaway food?  Melt was just an example regardless, choking the economy a second time when it was already on its knee's just doesn't make sense, got a problem with pubs then shut them, let track and trace work for those who have the bug.

1 minute ago, tutankamun said:

there's no long term gain really though. it could quite easily happen again as soon as the lockdown is lifted. 

lockdown is a blunt tool which represents either a failure in the track and trace system or a lack of faith in the track and trace system by the government.  if hospital admissions were dramatically and suddenly on the rise I could understand a lockdown but why don't they just let the track and trace do it's job?

Totally agree. I thought the whole point of track and trace was to let us get back to normal but she's using it to justify bullying, lecturing and punishing us. 

6 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Melt moved to Belmont street as they'd outgrown their old place, was always busy. Offices and pubs are empty due to the lockdown, who is buying the takeaway food?  Melt was just an example regardless, choking the economy a second time when it was already on its knee's just doesn't make sense, got a problem with pubs then shut them, let track and trace work for those who have the bug.

Melt partly blamed Brexit in her valedictory speech which i thought was a bit odd.