Coronavirus

Henry

8 minutes ago, daytripping said:

Never read it but yeah blaming poor cheese sandwich sales on Brexit is a wild one, guess she doesn't support Brexit.

Extract

It’s been a mad five years here in Aberdeen - we opened in the midst of the oil downturn, battled through Brexit and latterly fought to stay afloat during the continuing COVID19 pandemic.
We have changed our business a hundred times during the 1st lockdown, only being available on delivery platforms, working as a take out only, providing hundreds of cheeseboards and brownie boxes, brownie box kits and investment in the website for mail order brownies as well as investing in a new outdoor area gazebo and seating. Then the 2nd lockdown happened.

13 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

The  whole  point is to stop hospital admissions , not reintroduce lockdown when they’re dramatically on the rise . 

That’s what happened before . By then it’s too late . 

Imo

Should just do away with hospitals then. Keep us all in the house, straight to the undertakers when you die. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
12 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

The  whole  point is to stop hospital admissions , not reintroduce lockdown when they’re dramatically on the rise . 

Imo

well it's a balance, we need to continue with life, we cannot be constantly locking down cities, this will just cause long term pain for everyone. The track and trace needs to improve to nip any small cluster in the bud.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
35 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Imo

what happened before was the government abandoned contact tracing (in March) as it was too difficult. a combination of the vast number of infections and the fact we were not prepared.

we are in a very different place now with low infection rates and (supposedly) we have the resources in place so contact tracing should be simpler. lockdown is an admission of failure.

1 hour ago, daytripping said:

Melt moved to Belmont street as they'd outgrown their old place, was always busy. Offices and pubs are empty due to the lockdown, who is buying the takeaway food?  Melt was just an example regardless, choking the economy a second time when it was already on its knee's just doesn't make sense, got a problem with pubs then shut them, let track and trace work for those who have the bug.

Crowd funded a lot of her stuff though.  Generally a good marketing tool, but does raise questions about the growth of the business and willingness for owners or lenders to put money in to it.  

Shops are open.  People still live in the area.  If you have a strong customer base, you'll still be able to get through this when you can do takeaway.

For this one, I just believe it was a matter of time, tis all.

1 hour ago, manboobs109 said:

Totally agree. I thought the whole point of track and trace was to let us get back to normal but she's using it to justify bullying, lecturing and punishing us. 

Were you not complaining only yesterday (or maybe this morning) it was unreasonable to be held prisoner for 14 days if you were tracked and traced?  If many share your view on that and don't follow the guidance when they are traced, then it won't work.

1 hour ago, tutankamun said:

Melt partly blamed Brexit in her valedictory speech which i thought was a bit odd.

I saw that.  I thought it bizarre at first, but as they probably imported a a lot of their stock, and Brexit has had an impact on devaluing on the pound.  So maybe not the most daft thing ever...

12 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

I saw that.  I thought it bizarre at first, but as they probably imported a a lot of their stock, and Brexit has had an impact on devaluing on the pound.  So maybe not the most daft thing ever...

the pound's value has been subdued for years, even before Brexit was a thing, it's not much worse now than when she started Melt

The problem I have is that a lot of people, like hanz is pretending to do, assume that everyone is raging about local lockdown just because they canna have a pint. As important as that is to some, it’s part of a bigger picture of a government absolutely strangling a local economy to death and alienating a population of hundreds of thousands. That £1million grant is an absolute insult, I’d have told them to shove it up their arse. I really feel for people who own a small business right now, getting utterly fucked over by an inept government and for what? As people have said you could probably understand if folk were out the door at hospital but in reality there has been one patient admitted to ARI since this recent lockdown started. I really don’t know how anyone can support what is happening and the complete mismanagement of it. 

13 hours ago, Parklife said:

Japan is a country we should maybe look to for how to handle it. They've got a very old population & had less warning of the virus, yet have a very low death count. They also had no enforced closing of businesses. Although people were told to work from home where they could. Not sure how they achieved it so far tbh. Maybe fatman could stop whinging for 5 minutes and go find out. I doubt he'll bother his arse though. 

They also put fat bastards on a diet when they get above a certain waist size  ?

Probably a big factor in their low death rate

Of course, one of the hidden aspects (or at least not publicised) of lockdown is mental health. People losing their jobs, end of furlough coming up, stuck indoors (I know that is more self isolation than lockdown) is causing a huge amount of mental stress on some people. 

A very reliable source told me that only last week, there were three suicides in Tory. Told me that was open information, but not allowed to mention the causes.

Of course, many things prompt people to go down that horrible route, and COVID restrictions may have nothing to do with these three events at all. But, by fuck, if your mind is vulnerable, these are awful times. 

No buggers in ICU, but a few in the morgue. 

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Foster14 said:

I don't disagree with much of what you are saying. 

I particularly don't understand the lack of consistency in how things are being done.  I can understand the pubs etc to a degree, but the five mile limit seems ridiculous, when you have no such limitation being applied on Coupar Angus as an example.  900 people asked to self isolate, but nothing is suggested to the wider community.  That doesn't make sense compared to the Aberdeen situation.

I don't understand why if I, living in the Shire, could have someone I live with go to work in Marks and Spencer in Aberdeen, but I'm not allowed to go shop there.  

I don't understand why someone living in Kingswells who never went near any of the cluster pubs and doesn't know anyone that did is not allowed to go inside someone else's house, but someone in Westhill who could have been in a host of the cluster pubs can still go inside someone's house.  The same also applies to that person from Kingswells, can't go more than 5 miles away from their house, but the person in Westhill can go off on their holidays.

On Melt though, I feel it was never the most sustainable business.  The owner seemed to be consistently out with the begging bowl in the papers, crowdfunding attempt after crowdfunding attempt and complaining when they didn't get as much as she needed. 

For months, and still currently, you can provide takeaway.  It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to adapt to become a decent takeaway business if you had a loyal customer base keen on your product.

EDIT: I think my main point is there will be some businesses surviving purely because of the support being offered just now that otherwise would have fallen by the wayside.

Great post, the fact that Sturgeon seems to think this virus stops at the city limits is baffling. The City and Shire are so intertwined it's impossible to control it by locking down the City itself. Ellon, Stonehaven, Inverurie etc are virtually suburbs of Aberdeen.

On the subject of Melt, I can't help but think mismanagement and failure to grow into the bigger premises to be the issue. I think the toastie model worked well at the Holbourn Street shop, small shop,low rent and a low cost product at inflated prices. However, didn't think much of the menu and the theme she went for at the new place as a restaurant. 

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

the pound's value has been subdued for years, even before Brexit was a thing, it's not much worse now than when she started Melt

Against the Euro, it ranged between 1.3 and 1.4 through 2015 until mid 2016.  Since it has been between 1.1 and 1.2.  

No idea when it opened, but it may have had some impact, tis all. 

More likely she has just gone the way of many many other sandwich based places in Aberdeen over the years, they come and go all the time.  Just not many seem to have a direct route in to the Evening Express for publicity masked as journalism. 

30 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Of course, one of the hidden aspects (or at least not publicised) of lockdown is mental health. People losing their jobs, end of furlough coming up, stuck indoors (I know that is more self isolation than lockdown) is causing a huge amount of mental stress on some people. 

A very reliable source told me that only last week, there were three suicides in Tory. Told me that was open information, but not allowed to mention the causes.

Of course, many things prompt people to go down that horrible route, and COVID restrictions may have nothing to do with these three events at all. But, by fuck, if your mind is vulnerable, these are awful times. 

No buggers in ICU, but a few in the morgue. 

Think I saw one of them being mentioned on social media. Young family as well, bloody tragic. 

2 hours ago, Foster14 said:

I don't understand why someone living in Kingswells who never went near any of the cluster pubs and doesn't know anyone that did is not allowed to go inside someone else's house, but someone in Westhill who could have been in a host of the cluster pubs can still go inside someone's house.  The same also applies to that person from Kingswells, can't go more than 5 miles away from their house, but the person in Westhill can go off on their holidays.

This pretty much sums me up... Possibly why I'm so fucked off about it all from a selfish point of view.  It's a great point none the less. 

Didn't know the ins and outs of melt. Always sad to see a local small business shut however.

The whole tunnel vision on absolutely everything to Covid is massively frustrating. As mentioned mental health, cancer, dentists.... All being massively effected. 

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Against the Euro, it ranged between 1.3 and 1.4 through 2015 until mid 2016.  Since it has been between 1.1 and 1.2.  

No idea when it opened, but it may have had some impact, tis all. 

More likely she has just gone the way of many many other sandwich based places in Aberdeen over the years, they come and go all the time.  Just not many seem to have a direct route in to the Evening Express for publicity masked as journalism. 

£6-7 quid for a sandwich? it's no wonder half these sandwich shops fold. 

£4 for a side of fries?! Fuck that. 

50 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

It’s not even a ‘lockdown ‘ ffs? there are certain restrictions, that’s all . 

I’d hate to be in the trenches with some of you soft lads . 

well its all pubs, restaurants and cafes in Aberdeen, 1000s of jobs at risk. tarring them all with the same brush no matter how well they were managing the social distancing etc.  we need to be smarter than that.

2 minutes ago, Misers Hill said:

She just fucking loves quoting Aberdeen, 

#nazipolicestatescotland?

Because of that, restrictions in Aberdeen have been extended, but they will be reviewed again on Sunday with a view to setting out, if possible, a firm timetable for lifting the restrictions.