Coronavirus

Henry

13 hours ago, Parklife said:

Japan is a country we should maybe look to for how to handle it. They've got a very old population & had less warning of the virus, yet have a very low death count. They also had no enforced closing of businesses. Although people were told to work from home where they could. Not sure how they achieved it so far tbh. Maybe fatman could stop whinging for 5 minutes and go find out. I doubt he'll bother his arse though. 

They also put fat bastards on a diet when they get above a certain waist size  ?

Probably a big factor in their low death rate

Of course, one of the hidden aspects (or at least not publicised) of lockdown is mental health. People losing their jobs, end of furlough coming up, stuck indoors (I know that is more self isolation than lockdown) is causing a huge amount of mental stress on some people. 

A very reliable source told me that only last week, there were three suicides in Tory. Told me that was open information, but not allowed to mention the causes.

Of course, many things prompt people to go down that horrible route, and COVID restrictions may have nothing to do with these three events at all. But, by fuck, if your mind is vulnerable, these are awful times. 

No buggers in ICU, but a few in the morgue. 

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, Foster14 said:

I don't disagree with much of what you are saying. 

I particularly don't understand the lack of consistency in how things are being done.  I can understand the pubs etc to a degree, but the five mile limit seems ridiculous, when you have no such limitation being applied on Coupar Angus as an example.  900 people asked to self isolate, but nothing is suggested to the wider community.  That doesn't make sense compared to the Aberdeen situation.

I don't understand why if I, living in the Shire, could have someone I live with go to work in Marks and Spencer in Aberdeen, but I'm not allowed to go shop there.  

I don't understand why someone living in Kingswells who never went near any of the cluster pubs and doesn't know anyone that did is not allowed to go inside someone else's house, but someone in Westhill who could have been in a host of the cluster pubs can still go inside someone's house.  The same also applies to that person from Kingswells, can't go more than 5 miles away from their house, but the person in Westhill can go off on their holidays.

On Melt though, I feel it was never the most sustainable business.  The owner seemed to be consistently out with the begging bowl in the papers, crowdfunding attempt after crowdfunding attempt and complaining when they didn't get as much as she needed. 

For months, and still currently, you can provide takeaway.  It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to adapt to become a decent takeaway business if you had a loyal customer base keen on your product.

EDIT: I think my main point is there will be some businesses surviving purely because of the support being offered just now that otherwise would have fallen by the wayside.

Great post, the fact that Sturgeon seems to think this virus stops at the city limits is baffling. The City and Shire are so intertwined it's impossible to control it by locking down the City itself. Ellon, Stonehaven, Inverurie etc are virtually suburbs of Aberdeen.

On the subject of Melt, I can't help but think mismanagement and failure to grow into the bigger premises to be the issue. I think the toastie model worked well at the Holbourn Street shop, small shop,low rent and a low cost product at inflated prices. However, didn't think much of the menu and the theme she went for at the new place as a restaurant. 

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

the pound's value has been subdued for years, even before Brexit was a thing, it's not much worse now than when she started Melt

Against the Euro, it ranged between 1.3 and 1.4 through 2015 until mid 2016.  Since it has been between 1.1 and 1.2.  

No idea when it opened, but it may have had some impact, tis all. 

More likely she has just gone the way of many many other sandwich based places in Aberdeen over the years, they come and go all the time.  Just not many seem to have a direct route in to the Evening Express for publicity masked as journalism. 

30 minutes ago, sheepcrooky said:

Of course, one of the hidden aspects (or at least not publicised) of lockdown is mental health. People losing their jobs, end of furlough coming up, stuck indoors (I know that is more self isolation than lockdown) is causing a huge amount of mental stress on some people. 

A very reliable source told me that only last week, there were three suicides in Tory. Told me that was open information, but not allowed to mention the causes.

Of course, many things prompt people to go down that horrible route, and COVID restrictions may have nothing to do with these three events at all. But, by fuck, if your mind is vulnerable, these are awful times. 

No buggers in ICU, but a few in the morgue. 

Think I saw one of them being mentioned on social media. Young family as well, bloody tragic. 

2 hours ago, Foster14 said:

I don't understand why someone living in Kingswells who never went near any of the cluster pubs and doesn't know anyone that did is not allowed to go inside someone else's house, but someone in Westhill who could have been in a host of the cluster pubs can still go inside someone's house.  The same also applies to that person from Kingswells, can't go more than 5 miles away from their house, but the person in Westhill can go off on their holidays.

This pretty much sums me up... Possibly why I'm so fucked off about it all from a selfish point of view.  It's a great point none the less. 

Didn't know the ins and outs of melt. Always sad to see a local small business shut however.

The whole tunnel vision on absolutely everything to Covid is massively frustrating. As mentioned mental health, cancer, dentists.... All being massively effected. 

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Foster14 said:

Against the Euro, it ranged between 1.3 and 1.4 through 2015 until mid 2016.  Since it has been between 1.1 and 1.2.  

No idea when it opened, but it may have had some impact, tis all. 

More likely she has just gone the way of many many other sandwich based places in Aberdeen over the years, they come and go all the time.  Just not many seem to have a direct route in to the Evening Express for publicity masked as journalism. 

£6-7 quid for a sandwich? it's no wonder half these sandwich shops fold. 

£4 for a side of fries?! Fuck that. 

50 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

It’s not even a ‘lockdown ‘ ffs? there are certain restrictions, that’s all . 

I’d hate to be in the trenches with some of you soft lads . 

well its all pubs, restaurants and cafes in Aberdeen, 1000s of jobs at risk. tarring them all with the same brush no matter how well they were managing the social distancing etc.  we need to be smarter than that.

2 minutes ago, Misers Hill said:

She just fucking loves quoting Aberdeen, 

#nazipolicestatescotland?

Because of that, restrictions in Aberdeen have been extended, but they will be reviewed again on Sunday with a view to setting out, if possible, a firm timetable for lifting the restrictions.

1 hour ago, zander said:

Great post, the fact that Sturgeon seems to think this virus stops at the city limits is baffling. The City and Shire are so intertwined it's impossible to control it by locking down the City itself. Ellon, Stonehaven, Inverurie etc are virtually suburbs of Aberdeen.

Agree with that. When figures announced by her are given as "Grampian" (some digging is required to find Aberdeen City) it makes you wonder if she knows the difference between Aberdeen, Grampian, Aberdeenshire, Moray, Banffshire, Kincardine shire etc. When pals from Stonehaven and Westhill are sharing pictures of them boozing in Aberdeen City Centre pubs, while you have someone in @Zeussituation it makes you wonder. Perhaps she thinks that if you cut off the "Centre" then you can control the virus in the outlying areas because people won't be gathering in the centre?

Someone has made this point before but Portlethen is closer to Aberdeen City Centre than Peterculter and is arguably better connected.

46 minutes ago, Zeus said: