Coronavirus

Henry

1 hour ago, tutankamun said:

its about trends though, they keep talking about the virus working in 7 / 14 day blocks. I'm not sure why they cant look at 7 day trends every day though, I doubt the virus knows when it's Wednesday...

Glasgow, whilst higher, has remained fairly constant, Aberdeen has had its blip and the average is coming down every day, for me this should be reviewed daily. Perth / Angus are showing rises.

How long ago was that BLM protests? Still got all those deaths to go through. Must be coming up to well over 14 days since then. Seen a boy posting pics of awful social distancing while people were buying 99ers at the beach as well, who knows when that knock on effect will happen. Also, going to be a sad time in Kincorth when the golf outing rebels go back and infect all their old vulnerable granny’s and grandads with that. Morgues are going to be overrun. Can’t see Aberdeen opening up again anytime soon. 

Had a brief run in with Sturgeon about ten year back, outside a cash machine in Edinburgh

She was commencing her transaction and i was next in line so i put my back to the wall with my gaze looking over across the other side of the road, as you do

That didn't stop her shooting me a sharply disapproving glare as if I was possibly up to no good checking out her pin or whatever

Heard about a year later some guy had been charged for stalking her so i put the excess paranoia down to something she was maybe going through at the time

3 minutes ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

Had a brief run in with Sturgeon about ten year back, outside a cash machine in Edinburgh

She was commencing her transaction and i was next in line so i put my back to the wall with my gaze looking over across the other side of the road, as you do

That didn't stop her shooting me a sharply disapproving glare as if I was possibly up to no good checking out her pin or whatever

Heard about a year later some guy had been charged for stalking her so i put the excess paranoia down to something she was maybe going through at the time

Kate Forbes came to my hoose.

I was too busy for her. 

Unfortunate as I’d gie her a length.

54 minutes ago, Howard Marks said:

Alexander Dennis laying workers off in Falkirk. Union up in arms. Firm seemingly left with no option. It's essentially a zombie company without any business. (I see a pattern developing here). Once the furlough scheme ends they are fucked.

Yip. If you frighten people and tell them that if they get on buses there is a fair chance they'll catch a disease that will kill their granny there it's a good chance people who make buses will be paid off. 

Hopefully we'll all get jobs making the magic face masks that stop people spreading their filthy germs. 

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Yip. If you frighten people and tell them that if they get on buses there is a fair chance they'll catch a disease that will kill their granny there it's a good chance people who make buses will be paid off. 

Hopefully we'll all get jobs making the magic face masks that stop people spreading their filthy germs. 

Ridiculous point from me here but not without foundation; why are we trying to stop people getting the virus if there are no jobs for them to go to? Surely it would be better for the economy if a few folk were killed off?

3 minutes ago, Howard Marks said:

Ridiculous point from me here but not without foundation; why are we trying to stop people getting the virus if there are no jobs for them to go to? Surely it would be better for the economy if a few folk were killed off?

Even before C19 this was already a serious issue.  To the ruling elites, most of us are now expendable, we serve little purpose in a world of exponentially increasing automation.

The question you pose is perhaps more fundamental to our species.  What is humanity worth, in the face of the hegemony of the automated neoliberal corporate economy ?

i have no skin in the game myself, i don't see humanity as something that is necessarily worth preserving on a universal scale.

FTH

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, RedArmyFakshun said:

Even before C19 this was already a serious issue.  To the ruling elites, most of us are now expendable, we serve little purpose in a world of exponentially increasing automation.

The question you pose is perhaps more fundamental to our species.  What is humanity worth, in the face of the hegemony of the automated neoliberal corporate economy ?

i have no skin in the game myself, i don't see humanity as something that is necessarily worth preserving on a universal scale.

FTH

Sadly part of life is death. At some point we've got to bring survival of the fittest into this if a vaccine isn't found. Governments will run out of money and the long term health effects to our (otherwise) fit and healthy working age population will outweigh the benefits of lockdown. A non scientific look at social media in the last couple of days suggest sthe tide has turned on support for the Aberdeen "local lockdown."

37 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Over population is the root of all humanity's issues. Let's see what a reduction of 1% will achieve

But I thought Covid-19 was everywhere and killed everyone? 

I see Oldmachar Academy is closed tomorrow (well today now) due to one positive Covid test. School to be deep cleaned etc. It will be interesting to see what form of self isolation measures (if any) are placed upon those pupils and staff that were in close contact with the infected person. Conventional wisdom is that it doesn't affect children. Are we classing teenagers as children? I assume more cases will be found at Oldmachar and many other Scottish Schools. Will these be used as reasons to enforce stricter restrictions?

Bloody schools keeping our pubs closed! 

• Upvote 1

Best thing for Sturgeon right now is for a few folk to croak it and have a couple of seriously ill cases take front and centre on national news to re enforce her message. The severe lack of anyone to be the poster person of "Death's Door" is causing people to become complacent and sceptical.

Despite my disillusionment with the whole thing, I do believe proportionate measures are necessary to reduce the spread so I am not denying the existence by any means. Crashing the economy and ruining lives is not proportionate. As many have already said, the strategy of zero covid is light years away from the original stated aim of protecting the NHS. 

We've gone from pandemic to casedemic. Does a casedemic still count as a pandemic if the cases are asymptomatic?

• Downvote 1