Coronavirus

Henry

4 minutes ago, Giblets said:

You seem a bit caught up in this, have you left your house recently?

Yeah man. Been working at my place of work since April 6th after circa 2 weeks working from home. My life's been pretty normal in comparison to most others throughout this, thankfully. 

How about yourself? 

15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Yeah man. Been working at my place of work since April 6th after circa 2 weeks working from home. My life's been pretty normal in comparison to most others throughout this, thankfully. 

How about yourself? 

Been working throughout and had no change apart from the kids missing out on school and me not getting to the fitba, also had to delay getting my extension built, 

Also had a positive test a few weeks ago, everyone else in the family and who I'd visiited were then tested which came back negative, I got tested the following day which came back negative.  But I got a week off my work.

You seem a bit overly concerned about the whole situation?

2 minutes ago, Giblets said:

Been working throughout and had no change apart from the kids missing out on school and me not getting to the fitba, also had to delay getting my extension built, 

Also had a positive test a few weeks ago, everyone else in the family and who I'd visiited were then tested which came back negative, I got tested the following day which came back negative.  But I got a week off my work.

You seem a bit overly concerned about the whole situation?

Good news. 

I don't think I am, no. What gives you the impression I'm "overly" concerned? 

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't think I am, no. What gives you the impression I'm "overly" concerned? 

I've not read the full 58 pages of this thread but I picked up over the past few pages that you are more concerned than the rest of the population, hence overly concerned.

20 minutes ago, Millertime said:

If you're concerned at all, then you're overly concerned

Still not got the mental fortitude to stick to the (likely made up) block? 

Weakling

9 minutes ago, Giblets said:

I've not read the full 58 pages of this thread but I picked up over the past few pages that you are more concerned than the rest of the population, hence overly concerned.

1. I don't think i am more concerned than "the rest of the population". 

2. Being "overly" concerned would relate to the threat/danger. What the rest of the population think would be irrelevant. 

I try to base my view on this on facts, on science, on research. That's what I'll always do. I'm pretty content with the progress Scotland is making at present. Winter is a concern though. 

Whats your solution, Giblets? 

• Downvote 1

I've seen the word "progress" mentioned a few times. Is progress reclaiming basic rights that shouldn't have been taken away in the first place?

In order to make myself useful during the first few weeks of furlough and house arrest I volunteered for five separate organisations. Not one had an opening for work. I was simply added to their "databases" and was promised a call when I was required. I'm still waiting. A "global pandemic" and a fit, healthy under 45 hasn't been called upon once to help his community.

I'm back to work on Monday. Others won't be so lucky. The economy is fucked. That's not progress. We've regressed many many years. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Howard Marks said:

I've seen the word "progress" mentioned a few times. Is progress reclaiming basic rights that shouldn't have been taken away in the first place?

Nah. It's because virus prevalence has decreased and hundreds of people a day have stopped dying of an illness we know almost nothing about. 

In order to make myself useful during the first few weeks of furlough and house arrest I volunteered for five separate organisations. Not one had an opening for work. I was simply added to their "databases" and was promised a call when I was required. I'm still waiting. A "global pandemic" and a fit, healthy under 45 hasn't been called upon once to help his community.

That right? As I do unpaid work for an organisation who could've done with help as a quite a few of our usual people had to shield. Dunno what organisations you spoke to though. 

I'm back to work on Monday. Others won't be so lucky. The economy is fucked. That's not progress. We've regressed many many years. 

Yeah but there was no choice about economic regression. Dead and sick people don't produce economic activity. 

Best of luck on your start back on Monday. Stay safe. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
18 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Nah. It's because virus prevalence has decreased and hundreds of people a day have stopped dying of an illness we know almost nothing about. 

That right? As I do unpaid work for an organisation who could've done with help as a quite a few of our usual people had to shield. Dunno what organisations you spoke to though. 

Yeah but there was no choice about economic regression. Dead and sick people don't produce economic activity. 

Best of luck on your start back on Monday. Stay safe. 

Does the end game justify the economic and associated health costs that have/will inevitably come? I'm not doubting that lives have been saved but the whole country didn't need to be locked down in order to achieve this. We are in dangerous times and it has been piss easy for governments to lock everyone away. How long is too long? Can this go on forever, in theory?

Dead and sick people don't produce economic activity, granted. But neither do the unemployed and I would suggest paying millions of people to sit at home on furlough has limited positive economic effect either. The virus barely causes as much as a sniffle amongst the overwhelming majority of the working age population. This was apparent very early on. 

Gave up after the fifth organisation as I thought I was spreading myself too thin in case they all needed help at once. The offer of help is there from my end should I get benched again. Happy to chat over P.M if you are needing help. The best wishes are appreciated. It's been an absolute shitter of a time and I would suggest the millions in my position aren't allowed to speak out. When I got the call on Thursday I genuinely thought I was away to get the dunt. The furlough money has helped. I'll give the government that. There's a lot worse off than me so I'll count my blessings. I can see mental health services being overwhelmed by the end of the year once the darker nights roll in.

• Downvote 1

We never thought that – when it came to it – our painfully acquired freedoms would be strangled by a jolly, obese, blond Etonian. 

Or that a people once famed for their fierceness and independence would be tamed into muzzled, mumbling submissives by a little well-orchestrated fear propaganda.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8677727/PETER-HITCHENS-rant-BBC-Proms-make-slaves.html

Hitchens on the money as usual