Coronavirus

Henry

Some good evidence coming out about anti-bodies being longer lasting than they first suspected. According to a study carried out in Iceland of roughly 30k people including positive test cases, 90% of recovered people had antibodies against the virus. Antibody levels rise during the first 2 months after diagnosis, plateaued and remained at the same level for the duration of the study (a further 2 months) 

8 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Some good evidence coming out about anti-bodies being longer lasting than they first suspected. According to a study carried out in Iceland of roughly 30k people including positive test cases, 90% of recovered people had antibodies against the virus. Antibody levels rise during the first 2 months after diagnosis, plateaued and remained at the same level for the duration of the study (a further 2 months) 

I hope this info wasn't taken from our favourite government shill... 

More and more of the opinion that this whole virus shit show is an exercise in futility. Sticking a plaster over a gaping wound wont work. As we’ve opened up more, the cases have increased. The severity (so far) has not. It’s inevitable. No amount of mask wearing, social distancing, local lockdowns or sanitising will eradicate it because let’s face it, folk just can’t or won’t adhere to the rules. We’re social by nature.  I’ve had a cold for the last week, another less severe type of coronavirus. They’re not terribly enjoyable, more inconvenient but the point is, despite sticking to all the measures, I have it. It broke my defences somehow. If we want to return to normality, we’ll have to accept it is a risk in much the same way as the common cold or flu are regularly circulating virus, which for the overwhelming majority of us will pass through with little drama. A vaccine will supress its potency towards the vulnerable but probably wont make them immune. It wont be some miraculous cure when it does arrive and it’ll still be responsible for thousands of deaths in much the same way seasonal flu is. Bottom line is we best get used to it being around.

• Upvote 7
8 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

More and more of the opinion that this whole virus shit show is an exercise in futility. Sticking a plaster over a gaping wound wont work. As we’ve opened up more, the cases have increased. The severity (so far) has not. It’s inevitable. No amount of mask wearing, social distancing, local lockdowns or sanitising will eradicate it because let’s face it, folk just can’t or won’t adhere to the rules. We’re social by nature.  I’ve had a cold for the last week, another less severe type of coronavirus. They’re not terribly enjoyable, more inconvenient but the point is, despite sticking to all the measures, I have it. It broke my defences somehow. If we want to return to normality, we’ll have to accept it is a risk in much the same way as the common cold or flu are regularly circulating virus, which for the overwhelming majority of us will pass through with little drama. A vaccine will supress its potency towards the vulnerable but probably wont make them immune. It wont be some miraculous cure when it does arrive and it’ll still be responsible for thousands of deaths in much the same way seasonal flu is. Bottom line is we best get used to it being around.

??

7 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Problem I guess for government is once winter is out way how do you keep people engaged until a vaccine is found? Most of us like you say are losing belief in what they are telling us. I can't see a second lockdown being tolerated by the public.

23 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Totally agree. It's what most people have been saying all along. 

26 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Yes I know Union Street has been going backwards for decades. It's just in recent weeks, the whole city centre is starting to appear dead beyond recovery. We were in the Bon Accord and St Nicholas centres and John Lewis etc. 2 or 3 weeks ago on a Saturday morning and we were shocked at how bad it has become. It's accelerating at an alarming pace. There are businesses even in the centres who have been there for years going under now.

Such as?