Coronavirus

Henry

10 minutes ago, BrianFaePerth said:

Even Sky News reporting today that while case numbers are up, deaths are still near zero.

A casedemic just as Paddy reported.

The pandemic is over, but governments need to maintain their grip.

Mini will be along shortly to tell you 3 geriatrics croaked yesterday so we need to ramp up the lockdown 

3 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Now now. Some people might speculate that, or that she's just a hypochondriac, but mini reckons the long term effects are horrific. 

He's probably right, I once caught another strain of this flu, had a runny nose and cough for a good fortnight, really went through the mill. If it wasn't for Covonia I'm not sure I'd have pulled through.

• Downvote 1

Its noticable that the rhetoric is very much about rising cases, long term effects and short term immunity, as opposed to the consistantly low death rates and hospitalisations. The media seems to revel in these doom-mongering reports whilst casually overlooking the positives.
There's now mass hysteria about testing in some parts because anyone contracting so much as common cold feel obligated to get tested becuase schools and the likes are being massively over-cautious. Had to get our youngest tested after he picked up my cold and his school questioned why id sent him in with such a devestating illness. Was 99% convinced it was a sniffle but it was either keep him off for days or provide evidence that he wasn't a mini covid grenade set to take out half his class.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
22 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Its noticable that the rhetoric is very much about rising cases, long term effects and short term immunity, as opposed to the consistantly low death rates and hospitalisations. The media seems to revel in these doom-mongering reports whilst casually overlooking the positives.
There's now mass hysteria about testing in some parts because anyone contracting so much as common cold feel obligated to get tested becuase schools and the likes are being massively over-cautious. Had to get our youngest tested after he picked up my cold and his school questioned why id sent him in with such a devestating illness. Was 99% convinced it was a sniffle but it was either keep him off for days or provide evidence that he wasn't a mini covid grenade set to take out half his class.

Great Post. A plus 1 from me

57 minutes ago, daytripping said:

I thought hospitals were being closed as they were being overrun, mini said on here, must have been true.

Turns out we could fit all the patients into Insch hospital and have spare beds. :hysterical:

LOOOOOL, picking up on something I said in May and June and at the time hospitals were being shut but lets nae let facts get in the way of you making a cunt of yourself, AGAIN!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
33 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Testing centres have been shut down, capacity cut and labs backed up, it isn't because anyone with a slight cold is going off for a test, that's what they want you to believe.

Also if we aren't supposed to care about 3000+ new cases a day then what do we do?  just let them run free, stop reporting on it and hope it goes away?  

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

As "paddy", Ivor Cummins pointed out, the casedemic isn't everything it purports to be.

An increase in testing is obviously going to find more "cases" but is the testing good enough to differentiate between Covi 19 and other coronaviruses (and even rhinoviruses) of which the common cold and flu may test positive? We learned that even non-transmissable cases and antibodies of the remnants of a past infection are being detected.

Is all this worth the continuation of wrecking the economy? The measures need to be proportionate to the threat. Until we start seeing the population who are not old and vulnerable being hospitalised (let alone dying) from Covid 19 in particular, it should be business as usual. The eradication of basic human rights and killing communities and pubs etc. can not possibly be a reasonable outcome for the real danger faced.

That's not true, more tests does not mean more positives, it's also clear that the virus is way more prevalent in English communities now than what's being reported due to the the huge back log in tests.

As for wrecking the economy, it's a bubble they come and go, plenty were forecasting a big recession to hit the UK this year anyways, Covid has sped that up a bit, maybe we should just stop giving a fuck and let the virus run free, have stacks of deaths again then blame the people in charge for not getting it under control.

35 minutes ago, minijc said:

Testing centres have been shut down, capacity cut and labs backed up, it isn't because anyone with a slight cold is going off for a test, that's what they want you to believe.

Also if we aren't supposed to care about 3000+ new cases a day then what do we do?  just let them run free, stop reporting on it and hope it goes away?  

I'm sure theres many contributing factors but its literally what we did, and are aware of a few others in his class that have done similair. No positive tests recorded but probably a waste of resources. Can't imagine the situation isn't similar elsewhere. Some schools are sending home entire year groups if one kid tests positive. Are you telling me there aren't panicked parents out there battering at their keyboards to get a test for their otherwise healthy child 'just in case'?

Rising cases is good news in my opinion, boosts herd immunity which combined with a vaccine is the only way out of this, but even that won't prevent the suseptible from dying, in the same way flu has done and will continue to do so. The sooner we accept the risk and return to normal the better as we're building up a tsunami of other health problems on the back of this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, minijc said:

That's exactly what we should have done all along!! if it wasn't for the press how many people would really know a flu virus was out there?

I've said it many times, pre social media days this wouldn't have been the big deal the government has made it out to be, we would never have shut down anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
9 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Maybe the great mind that is Donald Trump was wrong then?

I thought it might be obvious that if you test more, you're going to find more. The proportion of infected to tests is now what they're looking at, correctly, but none of this detracts from my central point, that the measures being imposed are stupid, unduly restrictive, counterproductive, unintelligent and hugely damaging to life, health, community and wealth. Not to mention that I don't think they're even able to test properly.

Here's one example on why more tests doesn't necessarily equal more positive results

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/1293173072602836992?s=20

5 minutes ago, daytripping said:

That's exactly what we should have done all along!! if it wasn't for the press how many people would really know a flu virus was out there?

I've said it many times, pre social media days this wouldn't have been the big deal the government has made it out to be, we would never have shut down anything.

So we should have just ignored this, pretended it didn't exist and we should've kept the country open and allow many more to die, righto, great idea, you'd have loved that though as you'd have been shouting for the SNP/Sturgeon to be jailed for allowing all the bodies to stack up.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

I'm sure theres many contributing factors but its literally what we did, and are aware of a few others in his class that have done similair. No positive tests recorded but probably a waste of resources. Can't imagine the situation isn't similar elsewhere. Some schools are sending home entire year groups if one kid tests positive. Are you telling me there aren't panicked parents out there battering at their keyboards to get a test for their otherwise healthy child 'just in case'?

Rising cases is good news in my opinion, boosts herd immunity which combined with a vaccine is the only way out of this, but even that won't prevent the suseptible from dying, in the same way flu has done and will continue to do so. The sooner we accept the risk and return to normal the better as we're building up a tsunami of other health problems on the back of this.

The UK government boats of having a world beating test track and trace system, by now it should be able to cope with this but here we are again seeing them exposed for being the charlatans they are.  Personally I think it makes more sense to get as many as possible tested, especially if they are showing symptoms because if you don't test them and those people continue their 'normal' day to day only to actually have the virus they have then helped spread it even more.  I completely get that some will have colds and bugs but surely it's best to be on the safe side especially when Kawasaki disease can destroy a child. 

4 minutes ago, minijc said:

So we should have just ignored this, pretended it didn't exist and we should've kept the country open and allow many more to die, righto, great idea, you'd have loved that though as you'd have been shouting for the SNP/Sturgeon to be jailed for allowing all the bodies to stack up.

Exactly, some years we get a lot of flu deaths in the elderly, it's natures way of thinning them out. This is just another one of them. Sweden did very little and are no worse off than us, they're actually pretty much past it with hardly any news deaths.

You can't hide from things like this, in the Spanish flu in 1918 a whole City sealed itself off, they escaped the flu. Soon as they opened up they got hit harder than anywhere else, it's nature, you can't run from it.

• Downvote 2
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

The UK government boats of having a world beating test track and trace system, by now it should be able to cope with this but here we are again seeing them exposed for being the charlatans they are.  Personally I think it makes more sense to get as many as possible tested, especially if they are showing symptoms because if you don't test them and those people continue their 'normal' day to day only to actually have the virus they have then helped spread it even more.  I completely get that some will have colds and bugs but surely it's best to be on the safe side especially when Kawasaki disease can destroy a child. 

Does it give them Motor neurone disease?? lol

Cancer can destroy a child min (and does in hugely larger numbers than Kawasaki, thousands to 1), doesn't mean we test every kid every week.

• Downvote 1
Just now, daytripping said:

Exactly, some years we get a lot of flu deaths in the elderly, it's natures way of thinning them out. This is just another one of them. Sweden did very little and are no worse off than us.

You absolutely love Sweden but you fail to take in that some, actually quite a lot of residents there took action themselves by working from home, social distancing and wearing masks. What also helps is that their food is boosted with vitamin D, their people on average are healthier and live more active life styles than people in the Uk but still they've had almost 5 times the deaths of Norway, Denmark and Finland COMBINED, their economy is not much better than that of Denmarks and they are not any closer to 'herd immunity' than any other country, so what was the point?

3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Sweden and others kept open and suffered less deaths per population than the UK did.

It's a new one on me that social media and the press are to blame for the terrible governance that we have had to endure.

It's the snowflake generation, the something must be done brigade flapping at the 24/7 news coverage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
12 minutes ago, minijc said:

My 16 month daughter got tested around 4 weeks ago.  She had a cold, but nursery policy -  no admittance for 2 weeks unless a negative test.  At the test centre, you can imagine the fun of having to try and perform the test yourself on someone that age.

I got the cold off of her, a few days later that lead to a cough along with it.  So that myself and my whole household didn't have to self isolate for days on end, I went and got a test that I knew would come back negative.  

The cough that went with my daughter's cold (most of her cough coming from mucus at the back of her throat) never cleared fully, with her having good and bad days for the weeks since.  Then last week, she had a day where the cough was a bit worse at nursery and they were not keen on her coming back in the next day.  I explained the cough wasn't new but because they hadn't experienced it fully throughout the period, they wanted me to phone 111.  

So went through that process, got asked a whole heap of questions about responsiveness, whether she was conscious on the phone, breathing patterns etc etc, who then referred me to a GP who phone back around an hour later.  Said it sounded like a cold, that they can linger for up to 6 weeks in someone that age, and that the previous test was sufficient, no need to re-test or isolate.

Got her back to nursery a couple of hours late after the manager got authority from the directors.

My mother in law got sent home from her work in an Aberdeenshire Council academy, because she coughed a few times.  Wasn't allowed back without a negative test.  She had a cold that she had picked up from looking after her grandson.

My next door neighbour has had to get her 3 year old son tested once and 10 month old daughter tested twice.  Both colds leading to coughs.

I'm not sure on your first part whether testing capacity is reducing, but I do believe that if there are shortages, it is being caused by the governments saying you need to get tested or self isolate for 2 weeks if you have symptoms that are quite common with many illnesses.  The latter (self-isolation) isn't an option for many, certainly not regularly as different people in a household has these symptoms.  Workplaces, schools and suchlike are all so apprehensive about an outbreak at their premises that they are encouraging people to get tested (by saying don't turn up if you don't).

Something has to be worked out here, as it is only going to get worse over the next few months as these symptoms become more common, particularly in the younger generation.

Just now, minijc said:

You absolutely love Sweden but you fail to take in that some, actually quite a lot of residents there took action themselves by working from home, social distancing and wearing masks. What also helps is that their food is boosted with vitamin D, their people on average are healthier and live more active life styles than people in the Uk but still they've had almost 5 times the deaths of Norway, Denmark and Finland COMBINED, their economy is not much better than that of Denmarks and they are not any closer to 'herd immunity' than any other country, so what was the point?

They are over it with an economy intact, we've not even started the real pain, just wait till Furlough ends, peoples life's devastated to try and save some coffin dodgers at end of life anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, minijc said:

Completely forgot that MND and Cancer were airborne viruses, my mistake.

The point being the rare disease you quoted is insignificant to cancer in numbers, we don't even mass test for the latter because it wouldn't be feasible, you want kids tested for a disease they barely know they have when they get it.

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, minijc said:

Quite agree, a workable track and trace system should help but its only as good as the people who use it and unfortunately we in the UK aren’t the most co-operative when it comes to things that disrupt our way of life. Probably why its most successful in more subservient nations such as China and South Korea. The government have blundered their way through this from the beginning. I thought antibody testing would be well underway by now…Its dropped off the radar. Just more layers of ‘measures’, a creaking testing system and no clear route out of this mess.

2 minutes ago, daytripping said:

The point being the rare disease you quoted is insignificant to cancer in numbers, we don't even mass test for the latter because it wouldn't be feasible, you want kids tested for a disease they barely know they have when they get it.

The disease I mentioned was for a specific reason, there has been outbreaks of it in Italy and New York, it's directly linked in with covid, so if some kids aren't feeling well I'd say it's best to get them tested rather than have them suffer through what comes with it that may leave them with issues as they get older.