Coronavirus

Henry

4 hours ago, Parklife said:

Indeed. If we'd had the "protect the NHS" mantra 2 months earlier, we could've avoided all these issues. 

How would locking down 2 months earlier,   diverting time and resources away from things like cancer treatment 2 months earlier,  have helped with these issues.  Id think it would make things worse.  Isn't it just replacing one cause of death with another? 

8 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Listen mate, I've never heard of you, I'd never come across you in my life until half a week ago when you decided to throw out gratuitous insults, which is totally fine. But changing overnight and trying to engage now is totally weird and creepy as fuck. Go talk to someone else. I don't want to deal with your schizophrenia or your confusion or your double standards of whatever the fuck is mixing you up.

Ok, ignored.

15 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

How would locking down 2 months earlier,   diverting time and resources away from things like cancer treatment 2 months earlier,  have helped with these issues.  Id think it would make things worse.  Isn't it just replacing one cause of death with another? 

Who said anything about "lockdown"  2 months earlier?

If we'd encouraged social distancing, working from home, face masks, reduced numbers in hospitality, etc. and closed our borders (unless people done a 2 week enforced quarantine) in early February (when we could see what was happening in China) then we'd have limited the spread in the first place and no "lockdown" would ever have been required. 

Given we done none of these things, a "lockdown" was always going to be required. If we'd done that a couple of weeks earlier, we'd have had to do it for less time. Which I think everyone now acknowledges. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

A so-called "circuit-breaker" lockdown is being seriously considered for Scotland, national clinical director Jason Leitch has confirmed.

The Scottish government adviser has told the BBC the idea is being actively considered, but "not yet".

Prof Leitch said the introduction of severe restrictions would be short-term pain for long-term gain.

On Wednesday, Scotland recorded 640 cases and seven deaths - its highest number of fatalities since mid-June.

The Scottish government has stressed that no decisions have been made.

Speaking on BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme, Prof Leitch suggested the upcoming school holidays could be a factor in preparations.

He said: "The theory is, if you had a stricter order - a stay-at-home order - it wouldn't have to include everything so including schools would be optional, then this would buy you time going into the winter.

"School holidays would be one of the things we would consider because that is an easier way to include schools."

Asked if the circuit breaker was imminent, he said: "Not yet. Our advice is we are certainly considering it. This is an idea that's come from around the world via Sage, the big scientific group that advises the whole of the UK and now our Scottish government advisory group is looking at it."

He added that the challenge with a circuit breaker was that it would include a strict travel restriction and the closure of some businesses.

No way they're considering this and not bringing it in. 

5 hours ago, Parklife said:

Who said anything about "lockdown"  2 months earlier?

If we'd encouraged social distancing, working from home, face masks, reduced numbers in hospitality, etc. and closed our borders (unless people done a 2 week enforced quarantine) in early February (when we could see what was happening in China) then we'd have limited the spread in the first place and no "lockdown" would ever have been required. 

Given we done none of these things, a "lockdown" was always going to be required. If we'd done that a couple of weeks earlier, we'd have had to do it for less time. Which I think everyone now acknowledges. 

We almost eliminated cases in Scotland at one point in July did we not yet here we are on the verge of full lockdown again.....

Just now, NEM said:

We almost eliminated cases in Scotland at one point in July did we not yet here we are on the verge of full lockdown again.....

I know. It's almost as if after that lockdown, we still didn't follow the lead of countries in the east (S. Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand, etc.) and introduce closed borders and quarantines (we of course can't without the UK Government doing it, as Scotland isn't a real country). 

Instead the thickos in this country were fixated on "air-bridges" and having parties with all their infected mates. 

Hence why we have widespread community transmission and there's talk of the "circuit-breaker". 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I know. It's almost as if after that lockdown, we still didn't follow the lead of countries in the east (S. Korea, Taiwan, New Zealand, etc.) and introduce closed borders and quarantines (we of course can't without the UK Government doing it, as Scotland isn't a real country). 

Instead the thickos in this country were fixated on "air-bridges" and having parties with all their infected mates. 

Hence why we have widespread community transmission and there's talk of the "circuit-breaker". 

Was well within the Scottish governments remit to impose travel restrictions on Glasgow instead of letting plague carrying weegie students descend on campuses all over the country

Bit hypocritical given how many times you've boasted about going to the pub with your pals is it not?

5 minutes ago, NEM said:

Was well within the Scottish governments remit to impose travel restrictions on Glasgow instead of letting plague carrying weegie students descend on campuses all over the country

Students shouldn't have been travelling to campuses. Agree totally. 

5 minutes ago, NEM said:

Bit hypocritical given how many times you've boasted about going to the pub with your pals is it not?

What's hypocritical? I'm not following. I've obeyed by the guidelines on group sizes, etc. Was at the pub on Saturday past with the mrs for some lunch and a few drinks. 

I can't recall "boasting" about going to the pub with my mates. Who'd "boast" about that??

42 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Students shouldn't have been travelling to campuses. Agree totally. 

What's hypocritical? I'm not following. I've obeyed by the guidelines on group sizes, etc. Was at the pub on Saturday past with the mrs for some lunch and a few drinks. 

I can't recall "boasting" about going to the pub with my mates. Who'd "boast" about that??

Aah so it's all the 'thickos' fault, not the government's? That's a bit of a change of tack from you. Not unusual for you to come over sneering and superior though. 

You were boasting about it, and mocking me falsely for being 'scared' to go the pub. 

• Upvote 3
9 minutes ago, Bad_Mobby said:

Bloody amateurs 

if you had stricter lockdowns in the first place and behaved yourselves while “exercising” you’d be going for a pint in a boozer with music (like I’m going to do later) 

Defies belief that the same folk who have been having hissy fits every day since it started are the same ‘maverick thinkers’ who have decided which restriction, if any, to follow. Unsurprisingly resulting in prolonging the whole shit show.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Just now, Simply Red said:

Defies belief that the same folk who have been having hissy fits every day since it started are the same ‘maverick thinkers’ who have decided which restriction, if any, to follow. Unsurprisingly resulting in prolonging the whole shit show.  

It also defies belief that people are so desperate to blame others for this total farce and are happy to play the politician's game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
11 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

surely would have to be done in tandem with England because, you know, 'people travel'? :rolleyes:

Aye, yet throw a 5 mile limit on Aberdeen. 

Its becoming more apparent to me she should've put a limit on Glasgow and the surrounding areas and it may have not spread.  I don't know the ins and outs of the students but it sounds a complete fuck up to me also. 

Wee hissy fit 

We've been told before that 3 weeks is not enough to see if changes are working but now we're being told a 2 week lockdown might make a difference? Get everyone at home together spreading the virus instead of being outside in the fresh air, superb. Sounds a bit like herd immunity, force everyone indoors and see who catches it.

32 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Aah so it's all the 'thickos' fault, not the government's? That's a bit of a change of tack from you. Not unusual for you to come over sneering and superior though. 

You were boasting about it, and mocking me falsely for being 'scared' to go the pub. 

I never said the thickos weren't in government, they of course are. 

If you thought getting to the pub or on a foreign holiday was really important in all this, then you're a thicko. Regardless of whether your PM or Dave from Kettering. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
31 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

It also defies belief that people are so desperate to blame others for this total farce and are happy to play the politician's game. 

The government and their lack of direction are to blame for the laissez faire attitude many people have to Covid  

Folk who're doing whatever they want and ignoring the restrictions and guidelines are also to blame for their own actions. 

You still refusing to put a face covering on to go in a shop? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
15 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I never said the thickos weren't in government, they of course are. 

If you thought getting to the pub or on a foreign holiday was really important in all this, then you're a thicko. Regardless of whether your PM or Dave from Kettering. 

Fair enough. You know my thoughts on foreign travel anyway so we may be in agreement once again. 

14 minutes ago, Parklife said:

The government and their lack of direction are to blame for the laissez faire attitude many people have to Covid  

Folk who're doing whatever they want and ignoring the restrictions and guidelines are also to blame for their own actions. 

You still refusing to put a face covering on to go in a shop? 

I'm just not going to the shops Parky so they are getting their way on that score. I'm wearing it in my local out of respect for the gaffer as it's them that gets the consequences not me.