Europa League 2020/21

2 hours ago, CityCentre said:

Yes, it is imperative that we finish third this year.

30 minutes ago, Macski said:

Perhaps one of the reasons why we're currently running with such a big first team squad (apart from the threat of mass suspension that we had)? The club may be ensuring that we finish 3rd minimum with an eye on this. 

?

48 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

We get two chances to one at least one round to get group stage football.

Be aware though, that were likely to be unseeded in both ties

The two chances are as things stand.

It's likely scotland third entrant will be bumped up to po round.

It's likely this will be confirmed in the next 3-6 months

32 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

The two chances are as things stand.

It's likely scotland third entrant will be bumped up to po round.

It's likely this will be confirmed in the next 3-6 months

Yeah, still not seen a justification for this.

To go straight into the PO round, were two ranking spots away, from that qualification.

1 place for the non-previous conference league winner from this seasons ventures in Europe, but where does the second place come from and why would it be confirmed in 3-6 months

P.S. If we were to get qualification straight to the Europa League PO round, then we'd be guaranteed group stage football

9 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Yeah, still not seen a justification for this.

To go straight into the PO round, were two ranking spots away, from that qualification.

1 place for the non-previous conference league winner from this seasons ventures in Europe, but where does the second place come from and why would it be confirmed in 3-6 months

P.S. If we were to get qualification straight to the Europa League PO round, then we'd be guaranteed group stage football

It's because in the new regime there is a place for the conference winner (there are obviously also places for the champs winner and europa winner).

Dependent on what happens with those spots and particularly the conference winner (there is not one this season) then some teams need bumped.

The precedent for what happens in this scenario apparently would mean that scotland will be moved from QR3 to PO round.

All tbc but should be long before we are thinking about scottish cup time.

Just now, afc1903mad said:

Here's the path for next year

European football pathways

technically that's for all future years after next year. there is no conference winner next season so one spot in europa group stages is free and bert kassies assumes that will be taken by a country (no 7?) and then two countries would move to PO round (13? and 14?)

It's not worth discussing too much as it'll all be sorted before long

Just now, Tord31 said:

It's because in the new regime there is a place for the conference winner (there are obviously also places for the champs winner and europa winner).

Dependent on what happens with those spots and particularly the conference winner (there is not one this season) then some teams need bumped.

The precedent for what happens in this scenario apparently would mean that scotland will be moved from QR3 to PO round.

All tbc but should be long before we are thinking about scottish cup time.

Nah, still not getting it.

The Europa League Winner would get a spot in the Champions League

Having no conference league winner means that we could be bumped up from 14th to 13th spot, but that entry is still in QR3 and not the PO round.

That's only bumping one team up, but were two spots away

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

technically that's for all future years after next year. there is no conference winner next season so one spot in europa group stages is free and bert kassies assumes that will be taken by a country (no 7?) and then two countries would move to PO round (13? and 14?)

It's not worth discussing too much as it'll all be sorted before long

but you still don;t reason why two teams get bumped for 1 place

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

You've got my thinking now. Anyways, Bert Kassies, is convinced it benefits Scotland and that's good enough for me.

Bert Kassies is not saying that though. Not that I can see.

He's not yet showing the Conference League Title Holder. If that goes to the 7th ranked team, then presumably, the country ranked in 13th gets bumped from QR3 to the Play-Off round

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/files/2021-24-uefa-access-list.pdf

There was at one stage the opportunity for Scotland to finish higher in ranking, but that ended with Celtic going out to Copenhagen  and SevCo going out to Leverkusen.

So as I read it, were ranked 14th, may get bumped to 13th this year due to the UECL TH not bieng in place, but 13th still enters QR3

I think the answer is that whilst we finished in 14th place last year, the 2015/16 points have now dropped out of the calculation for this season so as Denmark (13th last season) had more points than us in season 2015/16 we are now actually up to 13th at the start of this season marginally ahead of Denmark. Whether we retain that position (or move further up or down) will of course be determined this season by how the respective countries teams perform and most likely over next 3-6 months at which point most of the teams from countries around us are usually knocked out.

1 hour ago, Don Shula said:

I think the answer is that whilst we finished in 14th place last year, the 2015/16 points have now dropped out of the calculation for this season so as Denmark (13th last season) had more points than us in season 2015/16 we are now actually up to 13th at the start of this season marginally ahead of Denmark. Whether we retain that position (or move further up or down) will of course be determined this season by how the respective countries teams perform and most likely over next 3-6 months at which point most of the teams from countries around us are usually knocked out.

Good answer and certainly plausible.

I thought the rankings were already fixed for the 2021/22 competition, so not to be affected by this seasons results

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

We are not quite playing them yet but if it was the case surely the covid outbreak before the weekend would be clear by next Thursday? Presuming our 10-14 days rules that we have over here

If they were tested any time after Thursday then surely they can’t play? 

8 hours ago, The Cockney Don said:

Their opponents in the league next weekend Gil Vicente are covided up big style, so that may be cancelled.

15 players I read.  So hopefully at a minimum Sporting are missing a few players and have barely played a game since last season, none competitively.

A bye would be unreal as we'd take their seeding for the play off ?

9 hours ago, NEM said:

If they were tested any time after Thursday then surely they can’t play? 

I'm not sure there is a universal thing being applied In Europe to the rules.

To be honest we've got a hard game on Thursday to get through, if we win that then I'll be in a position of hoping for a mass outbreak in Lisbon and bye to the next round for us.

• Upvote 2