Europa League 2020/21

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think it's hilarious that he's so stubborn that he won't start any strikers when Eduoard is out.  They are absolutely there for the taking at the moment. 

He's one more bad result away from losing it completely I reckon. Going to be Hibs all over again. 

They're playing so inconsistently that they may well fuck up both the Champions and the Europa League qualifiers. 

Clutching I think. I seem to think similar things were said last season.

by all accounts, they were unlucky to go out of the CL. They were all over them but lost out to a couple of breakaways.

In the league, they're on track to go back on top. Just beat Motherwell 3-0 so hardly an indication that they're about to implode in my opinion.

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I think it's hilarious that he's so stubborn that he won't start any strikers when Eduoard is out.  They are absolutely there for the taking at the moment. 

He's one more bad result away from losing it completely I reckon. Going to be Hibs all over again. 

They're playing so inconsistently that they may well fuck up both the Champions and the Europa League qualifiers. 

Hopefully the Scottish Cup Semi also..........

This euro stuff is a bit of a vicious circle. Success equals increased chance of getting easier draw. We haven't had any hence difficult draws. Sevco had good run therefore less challenging draws.

Further you go, more cash you get. Which means you can dip into a superior transfer market. And so it goes. Around and around.

I think we can beat Viking and if we can knock out sporting it will be right up there with the biggest upset we have ever caused, if not the biggest. It does worry me that if McInnes reverts to type and parks the bus we will get a helluva hiding. So hopefully we go for it. Gotta be in it to win it

22 minutes ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

Do we take Sporting's co-efficent into the play-off?

As far as I can tell, the draw for the play off happens the week before we actually play Sporting (if we take care of Viking of course).

Play-off draw - 18 September 2020

Third qualifying round - 24 September 2020 - Sporting v Viking/Aberdeen

So we don't really take their co-efficient as such. We just play the unseeded team they were supposed to be playing. So in a way we do. ?

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, alscotoz said:

This euro stuff is a bit of a vicious circle. Success equals increased chance of getting easier draw. We haven't had any hence difficult draws. Sevco had good run therefore less challenging draws.

Further you go, more cash you get. Which means you can dip into a superior transfer market. And so it goes. Around and around.

I think we can beat Viking and if we can knock out sporting it will be right up there with the biggest upset we have ever caused, if not the biggest. It does worry me that if McInnes reverts to type and parks the bus we will get a helluva hiding. So hopefully we go for it. Gotta be in it to win it

We have had success in Europe, albeit regular, sustained building of our co-efficient, albeit not overachieving.

SevCo had some spectacular fails in Europe and are sitting pretty because they had two seasons of overachievement. They will be unseeded in the PO round, so could easily get knocked out before the groups, although should only have the 1 tough tie before then

6 hours ago, muttonhumper said:

As far as I can tell, the draw for the play off happens the week before we actually play Sporting (if we take care of Viking of course).

Play-off draw - 18 September 2020

Third qualifying round - 24 September 2020 - Sporting v Viking/Aberdeen

So we don't really take their co-efficient as such. We just play the unseeded team they were supposed to be playing. So in a way we do. ?

Cheers, Min.

4 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I probably want us to win that cup more than the other two cups this season because it will be such a memorable one.

I fancy our chances now having watched us, celtic and hibs a few times this season.

I want to say fuck that but of course any cup win for us is huge. But if we could pick and choose...then winning this season's Cup is far bigger in terms of where it would put us in next years Europa L:eague

23 hours ago, thurso said:

I don’t think Viking will be hard to play against and as good as people are making them out to be.  I think we should be able to take care of them and if we want to progress in Europe it’s teams like them we should be taking care of without thinking negatively 

Do you know Tup from Wick?

Whilst we are unlikely to get beyond Q3 this year (not impossible of course but Sporting Lisbon will be like the Real Sociedad tie in terms of standard), next year winning the scottish cup gets you directly into the play off round for the Europa League. If the Scottish Cup final is Celtic/Sevco, and they are also 1st and 2nd in the league, ,that EL play off round entry goes to the 3rd placed team in the league..

31 minutes ago, RedRichard said:

Whilst we are unlikely to get beyond Q3 this year (not impossible of course but Sporting Lisbon will be like the Real Sociedad tie in terms of standard), next year winning the scottish cup gets you directly into the play off round for the Europa League. If the Scottish Cup final is Celtic/Sevco, and they are also 1st and 2nd in the league, ,that EL play off round entry goes to the 3rd placed team in the league..

And if the cup winner gets knocked out at the playoff round in the Europa League then they will go straight into group stage football via the UEFA Conference League. Big chance for us.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, starryfish said:

And if the cup winner gets knocked out at the playoff round in the Europa League then they will go straight into group stage football via the UEFA Conference League. Big chance for us.

Perhaps one of the reasons why we're currently running with such a big first team squad (apart from the threat of mass suspension that we had)? The club may be ensuring that we finish 3rd minimum with an eye on this. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, starryfish said:

We get two chances to one at least one round to get group stage football.

Be aware though, that were likely to be unseeded in both ties