Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Thanks for the update. Surely the weekend game has to be off? 

 

The Sporting players & staff that have not tested positive have travelled down to 'isolate' in a training camp in the Algarve. At the moment the match with Gil Vicente is still planned to go ahead (even though GV are apparently down to just 15 players that are currently uninfected). If Sporting get any more positives tests while they are in their isolated training camp, I guess that will change everything...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dons79 said:

We would have to beat Viking first, but if we then beat sporting by some fluke!, we would then be seeded for the play off round avoiding these teams you speak of

Yeah, I knew what we have in front of us and how our potential match with Sporting carries forward the seeding, cos the draw for the play off is tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Don Shula said:

We can't draw any of those teams as the Champions League failures have their own little route to the Europa Group stages

I had actually forgotten that they have their own path. But that just reinforces my point about the stitch up that uefa is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Vermelhos said:

The Sporting players & staff that have not tested positive have travelled down to 'isolate' in a training camp in the Algarve. At the moment the match with Gil Vicente is still planned to go ahead (even though GV are apparently down to just 15 players that are currently uninfected). If Sporting get any more positives tests while they are in their isolated training camp, I guess that will change everything...  

So they'd have to be pretty mental to own up to having another +ve result then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

You sure you don’t mean “crine”?

Are you denying UEFA favour the bigger teams?

Then you are deluded. Or just fucking stupid. 

And your command of English is embarrassingly bad. 
 

He says whilst starting a sentence with "or"

That should have been a semi colon 

Re them favouring the bigger teams, you don't seem to have a problem  when we are seeded though, do you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Macski said:

As of tonight that's Red Star Belgrade, Dinamo Zagreb, Qarabag, Dinamo Brest, Young Boys, AZ Alkmaar, Benfica and Rapid Vienna given their parachute into the Europa League play off round after getting knocked out of Champions League qualifying. 

It truly is a stitch up. Although I probably wouldn't be complaining too much if our ranking was higher and we would therefore avoid clubs like these. I think it should have been though, as has been mentioned numerous times before we probably should have advanced at least a little further a couple of times over recent years. 

Its not a stitch up, is it?

The teams that do better, get the rewards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

He says whilst starting a sentence with "or"

That should have been a semi colon 

Re them favouring the bigger teams, you don't seem to have a problem  when we are seeded though, do you?

European football is loaded towards the bigger countries. 
Parachuted into other competitions etc.
If you can’t see that you really are a bit daft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Its not a stitch up, is it?

The teams that do better, get the rewards 

OK, finish higher in your league and you get rewards. That's an indisputable fact. 

 

European club competition though, is designed to keep those clubs that were high in their leagues at the time the present format was initiated, at the top. This is achieved through the financial rewards and the points and seedings system that almost ensures they stay there. 

It's down to the individual clubs to mess it up and if they manage to lose a qualifying tie then they have their "safety nets"! See Celtic in our own back yard managing to get knocked out of europe 3 times in a season recently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we'll be benefiting from the parachuting next season. 

If we could have an outstanding season and finish 2nd then we'd be on for getting knocked out of europe 3 times next season. What a time to be alive. I imagine it would be like being a Scotland fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coefficients are literally weighted towards the 'Big Leagues'. The Champions-plus-also-rans-League is top heavy catering to the likes of the EPL, La Liga, Serie A etc that they manufactured a way for those clubs to get a 2nd chance at generating Uefa the big money-spinning ties for Europes elite clubs.

A 3rd European competition is long overdue to accomodate the number of clubs qualifying these days but it should be one and done for whichever one you qualify for. No mulligans.

 

Edited by thedandydon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thedandydon said:

The coefficients are literally weighted towards the 'Big Leagues'. The Champions-plus-also-rans-League is top heavy catering to the likes of the EPL, La Liga, Serie A etc that they manufactured a way for those clubs to get a 2nd chance at generating Uefa the big money-spinning ties for Europes elite clubs.

A 3rd European competition is long overdue to accomodate the number of clubs qualifying these days but it should be one and done for whichever one you qualify for. No mulligans.

 

We are where we are. 

I think it's a great thing for AFC in the near term.

We need to break our back to finish in the top 3 euro entrants as opposed to meekly accepting 4th the last two seasons.

It makes things more exciting in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At risk of inciting yet another poster war, but I genuinely believe the Kilmarnock 3rd was a one off and I’m certain we’d have overtaken Well in the run in.  But regardless, yes, point stands.  System exists to abuse as well as be abused by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck seeding pish in the arse. Champions league placings via highest league placing & main domestic cup winners.

europa to lesser league placings 

 

then all sides are equal & in relevant comp pot. 
 

seedings was only brought in to suit the financially doped leagues & countries so UEFA get their glamour ties. 
 

romance of cup means fuck all to UEFA & as such so do the fans other than getting the coin produced by them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

European football is loaded towards the bigger countries. 
Parachuted into other competitions etc.
If you can’t see that you really are a bit daft. 

The "bigger" countries are only so because their teams are better 

"Rangers " had 2 great europa runs,  which gave our country an extra champions league place 

If YOU can't see THAT then YOU really are a bit daft

:spanner:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Macski said:

OK, finish higher in your league and you get rewards. That's an indisputable fact. 

 

European club competition though, is designed to keep those clubs that were high in their leagues at the time the present format was initiated, at the top. This is achieved through the financial rewards and the points and seedings system that almost ensures they stay there. 

It's down to the individual clubs to mess it up and if they manage to lose a qualifying tie then they have their "safety nets"! See Celtic in our own back yard managing to get knocked out of europe 3 times in a season recently. 

So how should they have designed it?

Rewarded the leagues that were shite at the time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why should any clubs/countries be rewarded in first place? 
Makes zero sense other than financial doping basically.

 

its cup competitions & as such should be 100% random out of hat draws.

shouldn’t even be regional shite either or keeping clubs from same countries apart in earlier rounds.

be fucking great playing huns in Europa for instance in early rounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Millertime said:

The "bigger" countries are only so because their teams are better 

"Better" or monumentally well insulated, protected, subsidised and, partly as a result, successful and hence supported?

And yes I'm giving you a head start in so far as the institutional support only partly leads to the success - the individual club then has to go out, grab it and maintain it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the rangers have played a mixed team. would love it if they end up regretting that. 

Greg Stewart pulling the strings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Millertime said:

So how should they have designed it?

Rewarded the leagues that were shite at the time?

Straight draw.

No seeding.

Take who you get and if Bayern draw Liverpool in round 1, get the fuck on with it. 
The Champions League is basically a cartel....& it’s only going to get worse.

It’ll be by invite only before too long. 
Modern day football bollocks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm totally against country coefficient points being used for individual ties. 

I can just about cope with club points and any seedings that provides because at least they are based on individual rather than collective merit.  Some clubs such as Burnley benefitted hugely from country points and they hadn't been in Europe for decades. That can't be right. 

Edited by aberdeen1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Straight draw.

No seeding.

Take who you get and if Bayern draw Liverpool in round 1, get the fuck on with it. 
The Champions League is basically a cartel....& it’s only going to get worse.

It’ll be by invite only before too long. 
Modern day football bollocks. 

A breakaway league of the top 20 would be good to let the rest of us get on with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

"Better" or monumentally well insulated, protected, subsidised and, partly as a result, successful and hence supported?

And yes I'm giving you a head start in so far as the institutional support only partly leads to the success - the individual club then has to go out, grab it and maintain it.  

We only had one champions league place

"Rangers" did really well 2 years in a row, increased the coefficient and low and behold, we get 2 champions league places now

Its not a closed shop

Do better and you will get better rewards 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, thedandydon said:

The coefficients are literally weighted towards the 'Big Leagues'. The Champions-plus-also-rans-League is top heavy catering to the likes of the EPL, La Liga, Serie A etc that they manufactured a way for those clubs to get a 2nd chance at generating Uefa the big money-spinning ties for Europes elite clubs.

A 3rd European competition is long overdue to accomodate the number of clubs qualifying these days but it should be one and done for whichever one you qualify for. No mulligans.

 

Football is a business, thats obvious,  surely?

Uefa want the best teams in it, to generate the most money,  which the teams benefit from via payments for qualifying or winning ties

Its not a closed shop though, as us now getting 2 champions league places proves 

How did we get the extra place?

By doing better 

The moral is, you get rewards when you deserve it

Thats the problem with the world just now,  moaning that nothings fair and expecting something for nothing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Straight draw.

No seeding.

Take who you get and if Bayern draw Liverpool in round 1, get the fuck on with it. 
The Champions League is basically a cartel....& it’s only going to get worse.

It’ll be by invite only before too long. 
Modern day football bollocks. 

That wouldn't make as much money and therefore the prize money wouldn't be as good

Maybe a better idea is self improvement rather than dragging those better than you down to your level 

Work for it,  nothing is given

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I'm totally against country coefficient points being used for individual ties. 

I can just about cope with club points and any seedings that provides because at least they are based on individual rather than collective merit.  Some clubs such as Burnley benefitted hugely from country points and they hadn't been in Europe for decades. That can't be right. 

With that point, I think I agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

A breakaway league of the top 20 would be good to let the rest of us get on with it.

And what happens if hibs solidified and established themselves as the dominant force then

In 20 years would your offspring be bitching about it being unfair and wanting hibs to fuck off and let the rest get on with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

Football is for the fans not for the CEO’s

there will only be 30 teams left in Europe if UEFA keep going the way they are.

There wouldn't be football if it wasn't for the CEOs 

Thats the same ridiculous argument you get with manual labourers moaning about top brass being paid more

If it wasn't for the top brass, the labourers wouldn't have a job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you also agree with Bankers bonuses I’m sure.

even when they lose money & take the cash from their punters

Edited by fine-n-dandy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...