Europa League 2020/21

14 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

How can a Faroese team reach a play off before us?   They're not beating the calibre of sides we seem to draw every year.   Are we just really unlucky in the draw? 

Is it not something to do with the 'route' they have to take after being knocked out of Champions League qualifying?

Were Dundalk not on what is known as the 'Champions Path' or something like that??

15 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Is it not something to do with the 'route' they have to take after being knocked out of Champions League qualifying?

Were Dundalk not on what is known as the 'Champions Path' or something like that??

Yes both Dundalk and KI Klaksvik were in the Champions path as they are the Champions of Ireland and the Faroes respectively 

15 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

Yes both Dundalk and KI Klaksvik were in the Champions path as they are the Champions of Ireland and the Faroes respectively 

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Durrant Dived said:

Will it help us qualify though? Just benefits the Glasgow parasites IMO. 

3rd Scottish team (cup winner or third) looking at europa play off round the next two seasons. Lose and guaranteed group stage football in Europa2 although hopefully we would win of course.

We can hang on to coattails here.

A Europa league groups with fans would be worth somewhere between £5m and £10m for us.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

3rd Scottish team (cup winner or third) looking at europa play off round the next two seasons. Lose and guaranteed group stage football in Europa2 although hopefully we would win of course.

We can hang on to coattails here.

A Europa league groups with fans would be worth somewhere between £5m and £10m for us.

Didn't realise Europa2 was starting next season so something to potentially be optimistic about. Them 2 need to fuck off to England though and pronto. 

We just need to give everything to finish top 3 this season. Not ruling out finishing 1st or 2nd quite yet and we are capable of putting a few winning runs together.

There is a high probability of a complete implosion from one of the ugly sisters if they realise towards the end of the season that they are not going to win the title so we need to keep pace as long as possible.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:00 PM, Tord31 said:

There is a high probability of a complete implosion from one of the ugly sisters if they realise towards the end of the season that they are not going to win the title so we need to keep pace as long as possible.

Don't think so, I see them being neck and neck all the way. With a good to even chance they will strengthen even further in the January window. Last I heard they have each already earned a guaranteed £5 million from Europe even with no crowds.

30 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

Don't think so, I see them being neck and neck all the way. With a good to even chance they will strengthen even further in the January window. Last I heard they have each already earned a guaranteed £5 million from Europe even with no crowds.

£5million is fuck all to that pair of shites! Sees them thru a small time of paying wages. There are premier league teams that will beat either arse cheeks, where we struggle. FTH FTT.

2 hours ago, pocrawred said:

£5million is fuck all to that pair of shites! Sees them thru a small time of paying wages. There are premier league teams that will beat either arse cheeks, where we struggle. FTH FTT.

Agreed they can't compete with the EPL but I would disagree that £5 million is nothing to them. If Aberdeen were to qualify and earn £5 million you could consider doing some research and scouting to sign a good young million pound prospect on a 4 year contract and even pay him say 20K a week for two years.

That would be a total outlay of £3 million on the fee and the wages leaving a profit of 2 million. Then if you have researched properly after a couple of years sell that young player on for perhaps another £5 million. A total profit on him of 7 million. That's what they're doing and Europe is the only avenue to that kind of money to start the process.

5 hours ago, Lan_Lad said:

Agreed they can't compete with the EPL but I would disagree that £5 million is nothing to them. If Aberdeen were to qualify and earn £5 million you could consider doing some research and scouting to sign a good young million pound prospect on a 4 year contract and even pay him say 20K a week for two years.

That would be a total outlay of £3 million on the fee and the wages leaving a profit of 2 million. Then if you have researched properly after a couple of years sell that young player on for perhaps another £5 million. A total profit on him of 7 million. That's what they're doing and Europe is the only avenue to that kind of money to start the process.

That's not how a club like Aberdeen would reinvest the money though. 

Absolutely no way we would spend it all on one player who would earn 5-10 times more a week than the rest of the squad. 

30 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Absolutely no way we would spend it all on one player who would earn 5-10 times more a week than the rest of the squad. 

And £20k/week is way more than a £1million signing would get....that's wages for a £3million player

9 hours ago, Lan_Lad said:

That's a good bet but if there is any sniff of a gap developing there will be an utter meltdown. Unless it goes to match 37 or 38 then one manager gets sacked. 

13 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Well if you're right I see no way to ever move up a level. Signing such players is the path to further regular prize money in the millions. 

1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

None of the options are easy.  But for me group stages are the most readily achievable.  Quickest potential bang for their buck as it were.

Next two seasons could be the moment we can step it up and expand budgets with increased revenues. The qualifying route could get easier if we have a good season.

Is McInnes the man for the job? His record is strong over 60 games per season. His record in one off big games is patchy if you are being generous.

59 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Next two seasons could be the moment we can step it up and expand budgets with increased revenues. The qualifying route could get easier if we have a good season.

Is McInnes the man for the job? His record is strong over 60 games per season. His record in one off big games is patchy if you are being generous.

Matters not a jot what anyone thinks about McInnes being the man for the job or not.

Fact is he has a watertight contract on what in Scottish terms is considered "megabucks". We are in the midst of a worldwide covid crisis, our income streams have all but dried up for the rest of this season (even if we got all our season ticket holders into games, their money is already accounted for and any subsequent ancillary cash they spend on pies etc will at best be negligible and in any event wiped out by stewarding/policing costs).

McInnes is here until his contract runs out. Hopefully Cormack continues to support him budget wise as I fully agree with you that the Europa group stages will be easier to attain, thanks to the efforts of the arse cheeks in Europe over the past 2 seasons.