The 'Race for 3rd'

One Game in to the new season and already the BBC has pre-determined the OF, having both opened with wins, will race away and leave the rest of us battling for the coveted '3rd place'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53463363

Whilst the odds are this will be the case, it's ridiculous that we just accept this is the way of things in Scottish Football and that simply being the best of the rest is some kind of achievement.

I've not given up hope on 2nd and Champions League spot.

We can't finish 2nd (or 1st) if either of them implode in the first half of the season as they have the time and resources to sort it out.

If we can keep within 5 points at the turn of the year and hope for a hun implosion in the second half of the season that would be brilliant.

Then we wouldnt need to win any euro qualifiers (for cup winners cup groups) which sounds an easier plan than beating any european team.

6 points from the next two please.

8 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

One Game in to the new season and already the BBC has pre-determined the OF, having both opened with wins, will race away and leave the rest of us battling for the coveted '3rd place'

Whilst the odds are this will be the case, it's ridiculous that we just accept this is the way of things in Scottish Football and that simply being the best of the rest is some kind of achievement.

We've been "accepting" it for decades now. I doubt anything will change anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

Thomas Duncan is probably a pseudonym used by Derek McInnes. 

27 minutes ago, thedandydon said:

This is where Dave C needs to show what he's made of. I've been impressed with his ideas and energy, however is he going to stop this nonsense or is he just going to make process of bending over and taking it from the old firm shinier and sparklier?

Its this line of thinking that just filters down to the likes of McInnes though, made clear by his post-match comments banging on how rangers were the superior side and we should be pleased to have kept it to such a tight scoreline, or words to that effect. He should have been raging at such a tepid showing, not heaping praise on our opposition.

The fact the media are having this discussion before the first round of fixtures are complete is what irks me. We, along with others have been written off before we even had a chance to assess the form and qualities of each team.

27 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

McInnes has long been of the mindset that game managing his way to 3rd is a successful season.  

It's sad to see the change in him over the last 2 and a half years. 

Yeah, its funny what £17K a week does to your ambition

On topic however, I don't really give a fuck what SKY or the BBC are spouting about helicopters, or 10IAR. It doesn't impact on me one iota

What does impact on me is the horses arese that our manager is making of my club. As I said yesterday on another, more downmarket fans forum, DC won't want to make hasty decisions whilst in the middle of a pandemic, so its difficult to see DMc getting the bullet any other time but NEXT summer, unless we hit relegation bother, which, however shite we are, is unlikely.

The time to have sacked him was THIS summer, and I'm certain DMC would have been gone had last season completed as per usual, but the intervention of COVID has saved his bacon. For now.

1 minute ago, Andy_123 said:

Which I think he'll do when the opportunity comes to get rid of him without having to fork out a small fortune.

We can thank Milne for being stuck with him for another 2 years is it?

Yea June 2022.

If we can eek out European qualification from the league and another hampden trip in addition to the Nov 1st game then he's going absolutely no where this season. 

1 hour ago, thedandydon said:

It is seen that way at Pittodrie, from the very top, down.

I hate Scottish football.

Thank fuck we can’t go to the games.

Haven’t missed it one bit & Saturdays shitshow was more of the same as the last 2 years. 

Hopefully their helicopter crashes 

4 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It is seen that way at Pittodrie, from the very top, down.

I hate Scottish football.

Thank fuck we can’t go to the games.

Haven’t missed it one bit & Saturdays shitshow was more of the same as the last 2 years. 

Hopefully their helicopter crashes 

I was definitely in need of a break when Covid struck. 18 years of missing 0-2 home games per season. 

I'm probably fancying to go back soon.

9 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Nah, I didn’t miss it.

I wonder how many folk feel that way.

Saturday was a chance for them to get us all excited... they did the polar opposite. 

Its not as we even got a glimmer of better days ahead. Hayes and Kennedy were invisible but both looked confused as to what their role was. Ditto Bryson. Ojo was just shocking, at least he KNEW his role, but was incapable of accomplishing it. Ferguson was towing a Sprite Alpine caravan

The defending for the Sevco goal was something you'd see at schools football, but how frequently do we get caught out like that?

It was fucking embarrasing watching Sevco playing pretty pattens around us, Jack doing his piroettes etc

2 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

We've been "accepting" it for decades now. I doubt anything will change anytime soon. 

Did we not finish above the huns about 3 seasons ago?

Saturday was shite and Mcinnes is losing support from more fans most games against the old firm at home, but statements like the above are just odd to me. Enough justified negativity around without making it even worse.

9 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

Did we not finish above the huns about 3 seasons ago?

Saturday was shite and Mcinnes is losing support from more fans most games against the old firm at home, but statements like the above are just odd to me. Enough justified negativity around without making it even worse.

Well we did finish above the Huns, but afc would have been happy finishing third that season. 

The old firm have won 35 titles in a row and no serious effort has been made by the other clubs to address this. 

So we (and other clubs) most certainly have been accepting it for decades. 

If Dave (and indeed other chairmen) think this sort of statement is negative  and aren't happy about it, then they should do something about the current reality.