The 'Race for 3rd'

31 minutes ago, BonnieDon said:

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson is on a list of potential candidates to take over the vacant Bournemouth post. (Daily Record)

If Robinson were to leave Motherwell that would certainly boost our chances.

boost our chances? Jesus christ, is that how far we've fallen? Hoping Motherwell lose their boss so we can finish 3rd?! 

We should have just called it a day after lockdown. We're treading water at Pittodrie, and have done for decades now. 

Re the depressing nature of the thread.  To go all Jeremy Irons In Margin Call for a minute, this is it.  THIS IS IT.  This is the product the clubs have chosen to sell to us. This is their model.  Sell 4 Bigotfests to Sky and basically wing it for the rest. The closed door environment, admittedly hardly by choice, now Leaves them horribly exposed as to what the product on offer actually is.

That said, within our own little bubble I don’t think there’s any doubt most feel we could be doing better.  Better attitude, better tactics, even players etc etc.  Cormack‘s dilemma is age old.  We can be a just better than Motherwell 3rd or spend a fortune and be a just off the cheeks 3rd.  But we’d still be 3rd.  It’s a straightforward cost benefit sum as to whether entertainment (but still 3rd) puts bums on seats, or £££ in the account.  Shift the positions (from 3rd to 1st) and Fergie said exactly the same thing about us in 84.  Of course I guess it’s much easier to be critical when youre also champions of Europe right enough.

To be clear I still think there’s a chink of light that we could still nick Rangers for 2nd with better application, simply because they are less well placed to respond to a challenge.  A correctly managed a Celtic remain depressingly distant unless they themselves fuck it up (sell Edouard, persist with Brown and Bain).

20 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I can live with us finishing 3rd or even lower if we have tried our best to win every game. 

What I can't handle is the lack of ambition to have a go at teams and doing the minimum to get by. 

I think we would all predict a 3rd place finish but with the squad we have we should be doing it with entertaining football, we are losing fans with the Mcinnes brand of rubbish. Cormack talks about getting a better product at Pittodrie and attracting a new generation of fans there is no chance of this with Mcinnes in charge even he must realise this 

• Upvote 2

I want us to attack teams.

Be aggressive from the start.

Play good football.

We have a decent squad who should be able to do that.

McInnes has us playing with a foot on the brake.

We would comfortably finish 3rd & give the Glasgow mobs a better game if we were aggressive & had a go.

Thats why I wouldn’t be averse to a change of manager, as the above won’t happen with McInnes in charge, although I realise it won’t be happening soon due to ££££’s. 

• Upvote 1

Who actually cares if we were 3rd or 4th. Last season doesn't count so there is no point getting too worked up about.

The only important thing about last season is our Hampden trip on 1st November. 11 men behind the ball, keep it tight and try to fluke a win. Then the world will be our oyster.

1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Re the depressing nature of the thread.  To go all Jeremy Irons In Margin Call for a minute, this is it.  THIS IS IT.  This is the product the clubs have chosen to sell to us. This is their model.  Sell 4 Bigotfests to Sky and basically wing it for the rest. The closed door environment, admittedly hardly by choice, now Leaves them horribly exposed as to what the product on offer actually is.

That said, within our own little bubble I don’t think there’s any doubt most feel we could be doing better.  Better attitude, better tactics, even players etc etc.  Cormack‘s dilemma is age old.  We can be a just better than Motherwell 3rd or spend a fortune and be a just off the cheeks 3rd.  But we’d still be 3rd.  It’s a straightforward cost benefit sum as to whether entertainment (but still 3rd) puts bums on seats, or £££ in the account.  Shift the positions (from 3rd to 1st) and Fergie said exactly the same thing about us in 84.  Of course I guess it’s much easier to be critical when youre also champions of Europe right enough.

To be clear I still think there’s a chink of light that we could still nick Rangers for 2nd with better application, simply because they are less well placed to respond to a challenge.  A correctly managed a Celtic remain depressingly distant unless they themselves fuck it up (sell Edouard, persist with Brown and Bain).

Bit of hope in regards to spending big money (for us) on Hernandez. Early days but hopefully he becomes a real asset, we have to sell the club as a stepping stone and try and sell at least 1 player a season to reinvest into squad. Surely only a matter of time till we bank some decent money? Covid put a bit of a spanner in works in regards to recruitment but hopefully we can get back to normal by January or next summer. 

4 hours ago, BonnieDon said:

Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson is on a list of potential candidates to take over the vacant Bournemouth post. (Daily Record)

If Robinson were to leave Motherwell that would certainly boost our chances.

It would boost your chances if the other 11 teams were all playing with one leg each , but Mcinnes would still be terrified to put out an attacking team. He wouldn’t know what to do he’d be totally confused with 11 players skipping around on one leg.  

13 minutes ago, NEM said:

Nah McLean should have checked his run ?

10 minutes ago, terenceandphilip said:

How can anyone complain about the bbc speaking about the race for 3rd when afc publicly declare that's their dream?

The dream of 3rd. What a dream. Imagine having the ability to dream and dreaming of that? Like dreaming of marrying Hilda Ogden.

Where have the club said this?

No Dons fan see the summit of our ambition as a 3rd place finish.

I think most Aberdeen fans are realistic.  Its the way we go about things on the park that folks are most fed up about.  Making heavy weather of punching our weight all the time.  Everything on the park is laboured. 

We know we've got the third biggest budget and that there's a big gap finance wise to the other two.  So w eknow it's hard over a full season to compete consistently. 

Doesn't mean we shouldn't have ambitions to challenge though. And although the playing budget is a big stumbling block there are other ways you can help bridge the gap.   It's Celtic and the Huns, not Real Madrid and Barcelona.  At the end of the day they are still pretty shite.