The 'Race for 3rd'

6 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

To be fair Hibs have done well but if we had the first 3 fixtures they had I would expect 9 points also, lets see how they get on against the Cheeks before getting carried away

I wouldn't be at all confident of us picking up full points from matches at Livi and the DABS

9 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

So long as you score more than you let in who cares ? 

Aye, they’ve started well, but I’ll hang fire before jumping on the Hibs bandwagon though.

I’d have been reasonably confident we’d have finished above them (don’t we always?!) in a normal season.

Now that we’re playing catch up & will be rusty as fuck when we do restart, then will be cramming games in later on, I’m not so sure now. 

25 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Is it maybe because he isn't good enough?

Mcinnes has given plenty of opportunities to youth last season

The 2 rosses,  wright, mclennan, Anderson 

None of them really grabbed the chance 

I am still convinced Wright is a player but there is just something that needs fixed

You dont score the hat trick he did against thistle unless you have something 

A civilised & non sarcastic reply.

You make a good point, I’m sure I read other than Accies we fielded more home grown players last season than any other, & as you say, how many have nailed a place down?

I’m just fed up of us having to go back to Considine.
We got a glimpse of what it would be like having a good left back with Lowe, & to a lesser extent, Leigh.

I’d like the lad MacKenzie to get a chance and if he’s not up to it then fine. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, eddiec said:

Winning the cup would be better than being 3rd or 4th as it would get us into the Europa League not the new competition so theoretically we could finish anywhere below 2nd (although obviously that would be better)

If say hibs finished second and won a cup that europa place would go to the third place position surely and the rest trickle down with potentially the top 6 all qualifying for Europe I think if the cup comps are won by the top 4 teams. 

Chance of being in Europe for a little longer but in all honesty we are normally knocked out by teams that would be in conference format anyway... 

6 minutes ago, eddiec said:

My understanding of it is that its the Scottish Cup winner only the league placings only move up if the cup winner has already qualified for CL, UEFA decreed it a while back to promote national cup winners.

I remember it used to be cup runners up but they stopped that and rightly so. Isn’t a euro spot for league cup so my understanding is that potentially top 5 could be Europe all be it 4th and 5th would be conference and 5th would depend on 1 of the top 4 that have already qualified winning the Scottish cup. At end of day gate receipts and potentially a lot more games  could add a decent amount to bank even if it is in conference format! 

11 minutes ago, slippers said:

If say hibs finished second and won a cup that europa place would go to the third place position surely and the rest trickle down with potentially the top 6 all qualifying for Europe I think if the cup comps are won by the top 4 teams. 

My understanding of it is that its the Scottish Cup winner only the league placings only move up if the cup winner has already qualified for CL, UEFA decreed it a while back to promote national cup winners.

Just now, Sheepo said:

Doig did look good last night and only 18 they nicked him from Hearts. DABs also took on a 17 Year old centre half last night who did ok

I thought he looked like a huge talent.  Raw and a bit greedy but all the raw materials are there. 

Hibs, Hearts and Kilmarnock(now at Celtic) all brought through young left backs in recent years. 

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I wouldn't be at all confident of us picking up full points from matches at Livi and the DABS

I was at Livi last September and we were awful but still won 2-0 and I think they will be weaker this Year, United looked pretty blunt up top last night and with there defence I am sure we would be beating them. Although after the Sevco performance I should maybe hold judgement, but the point being if we had them 3 fixtures our support would expect 9 points and with our squad we should be beating these teams consistently but the Mcinnes factor would come into this