Sign in to follow this  
thedandydon

The 'Race for 3rd'

On 8/13/2020 at 6:18 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The Old Firm died in 2012 

Never let them forget.

Posted (edited)

FIGHTING TALK 

Celtic and Aberdeen will fight SPFL charges of failing to prevent their stars breaking coronavirus rules

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5931473/celtic-aberdeen-spfl-charges-coronavirus-rules/\

"There is no limit to the SPFL's punishment powers, although points deductions or forfeited games are highly unlikely.

Last night both clubs received private support from fellow Scottish teams who are baffled by this SPFL charge."

Edited by CalgaryDon

The clubs yes.  That will correctly be defended to the hilt (that is the afc and Celtic cases, the hun case is clearly a “Club” breach in my eyes.)

but I still expect to see individual player charges of (apparently) 2-8 games.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

The clubs yes.  That will correctly be defended to the hilt (that is the afc and Celtic cases, the hun case is clearly a “Club” breach in my eyes.)

but I still expect to see individual player charges of (apparently) 2-8 games.

The more I think about it the more I think there will be no retrospective bans for our players. Firstly, because there were no guidelines or rules that specifically laid out what punishment(s) were applicable in the event of a club or individual players breaching whatever constitutes the temporary rules that are allowing training and matches to go ahead right now. Secondly...the players were out on their own free time. The club has no authority to stop players doing as they wish in their own free time (within reasonable limits/expectations). Had they all been out and got stopped for drink driving (and successfully prosecuted) then the club could reasonably dish out fines internally. They are claiming what they did was a genuine misunderstanding of rules and it would be very difficult for the authorities to dish out punishments on that basis (albeit the club has fined them in the interim essentially for being stupid and the players have accepted this). Our club lawyer I'm sure could invoke the human rights act (it's a piece of shite but useful in this instance) to say that any further punishment by the football authorities, where no punishment guidelines for a theoretical new offence were in place, would constitute double jeopardy. 

Edited by Ten Caat

17 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

The more I think about it the more I think there will be no retrospective bans for our players. Firstly, because there were no guidelines or rules that specifically laid out what punishment(s) were applicable in the event of a club or individual players breaching whatever constitutes the temporary rules that are allowing training and matches to go ahead right now. Secondly...the players were out on their own free time. The club has no authority to stop players doing as they wish in their own free time (within reasonable limits/expectations). Had they all been out and got stopped for drink driving (and successfully prosecuted) then the club could reasonably dish out fines internally. They are claiming what they did was a genuine misunderstanding of rules and it would be very difficult for the authorities to dish out punishments on that basis (albeit the club has fined them in the interim essentially for being stupid and the players have accepted this). Our club lawyer I'm sure could invoke the human rights act (it's a piece of shite but useful in this instance) to say that any further punishment by the football authorities, where no punishment guidelines for a theoretical new offence were in place, would constitute double jeopardy. 

You’ve been watching too many courtroom dramas min. This is Scottish football - nae Judge Rinder!

Plus the players have been cited with bringing the game into disrepute - not specifically breaking any COVID rules.

Getting hauled up and slaughtered by they FM in her daily briefing means it’s hard to argue against it.

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

I’m sorry, but I think it’s inevitable the SPFL will punish the players.

The charges brought against them are a generic “catch all”.

We’ll be without the 8 (notwithstanding injuries) for a few games after the Livingston game.

Anything between 2-8 apparently.

As we were allegedly close to getting Scottish football temporarily paused, I think it’s safe to say it won’t be lenient.

We’re not SEVCO, so don’t expect preferential treatment. 

1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Said above.  Hoping for 2, one of which is suspended, with any retrospectIve action on the “Club” told to do one.

Yea I think 1 game bans would be unchallenged by the players and clubs

Yeah I agree a one match ban and move on.

Technically they haven’t done fuck all wrong (albeit we know they did) if you got a good lawyer involved absolutely fuck all anyone let alone the SFA can do about it. Best just move on, they’ve apologised tomorrow is another day.

A lesson learned to watch what you are doing if you are in the public eye.

9 hours ago, Tord31 said:

Yea I think 1 game bans would be unchallenged by the players and clubs

1 hour ago, Fridge said:

Yeah I agree a one match ban and move on.

1 game ban for all 8 v one of the bigots would be a laugh.

weegie meltdoon!

Hopefully that is the outcome as we've little chance of getting anything out of the games v them these days with the fraud at the helm.