Tord31

St. Johnstone 0 - 1 Aberdeen

3 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Campbell was shite but he's not usually careless with passing. More weird that folk are desperate for him to fail. 

In his defence, he had an 88% pass completion. The sliced clearance that went out for a corner, and getting caught once in possession was indeed shite. 

1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I dont have an issue with an experienced player like Hayes talking the young lads through a game.  You could see him  coaching Wright and Mclennan when to come for it etc   It is of course partly because you can now hear them all.  He was always a talker.

Neither Hoban nor Taylor are young loons though. And I'd imagine Hayes' knowledge about the art of central defending could be written 5 times over on the back of a postage stamp. They just took it! 

The problem was ojo who was by far the worst player on the park he should of been off at half time. 
What annoyed me was the lack of movement up front ferguson is not a striker so naturally kept dropping into midfield which left no one up front and the middle of the park even more congested so we couldn’t play through it which led to passing across the back then the normal punt forward to no one giving the ball away which changed slightly when ferguson dropped into midfield and McKenna stood up front as an out ball to the punt 

28 minutes ago, ollie1903 said:

In his defence, he had an 88% pass completion. The sliced clearance that went out for a corner, and getting caught once in possession was indeed shite. 

Quite a few behind players etc. Unlike him. 

Felt Hayes could have been employed more effectively in a more advanced role.

His direct running on the ball would have posed more questions than the old up and under that we seemed to be going with.

Happy with Hedges goal. Not so happy with his haircut that looks like he stole it from a 13 year old girl.  Like to see the club take action on that.

5 hours ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I dont have an issue with an experienced player like Hayes talking the young lads through a game.  You could see him  coaching Wright and Mclennan when to come for it etc   It is of course partly because you can now hear them all.  He was always a talker.

McCrorie as well was giving them pelters for poor movement. This is what we need.

41 minutes ago, Superdon!!!11oneoneuno said:

Felt Hayes could have been employed more effectively in a more advanced role.

His direct running on the ball would have posed more questions than the old up and under that we seemed to be going with.

Happy with Hedges goal. Not so happy with his haircut that looks like he stole it from a 13 year old girl.  Like to see the club take action on that.

Wouldn’t surprise me if McInnes puts McKenna in & Hoban to LB to get Hayes more forward on left & Kennedy on right & maybe latter two swapping sides on & off.

Hoban has played a bit at LB & if he does get injured then he’ll drop Hayes back 

6 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Whilst there’s lots for our players to take from Inter Seville tonight I’d particularly hope they take note of How to cross a ball.  Superb deliveries so far.

Fuck me mystic meg. Since then, two fantastic crosses and goals. 2-2. 

As long as they don't get any ideas about passing it about at the back with the keeper, even when there's a high press. Can't see that working for us.

Whilst the basic skills on show were unquestionable with these two teams the 2nd Half was always going to be who could score first and then be the biggest cheating cunts thereafter!

15 hours ago, Tord31 said:

No one is desperate for him to fail.

We needed to make changes at half time and it could have been half a dozen players being subbed off

So why take off the young guy who could be our future? As usual the management persevere with the pish journeymen they dump on us. 

12 hours ago, Bamber said:

Was slightly confused last night but may have been a good plan by Mcinnes

Covid rules allow for 5 subs in 3 batches I thought

BUT we made 4 batches of substitutions

Kennedy and Mclennan  @45

Bryson @69

Hedges @79

and then Logan @84 

So how come?

the 3 batches does NOT include any subs made at half time - so actually within the rules we made 4 opportunities for changes to me a really clever use of the 20/21 substitution rule, especailly given we had an enforced break of 3 matches  think we will see more half time substitutions as its really a "free" substitution

Correct. Teams are allowed to stop the game three times for substitutions.

12 hours ago, thurso said:

The problem was ojo who was by far the worst player on the park he should of been off at half time. 
What annoyed me was the lack of movement up front ferguson is not a striker so naturally kept dropping into midfield which left no one up front and the middle of the park even more congested so we couldn’t play through it which led to passing across the back then the normal punt forward to no one giving the ball away which changed slightly when ferguson dropped into midfield and McKenna stood up front as an out ball to the punt 

McLellan

19 hours ago, DelMonte said:

Apart from 1 in the first half, it wasn't his doing. No options at all.

Taylor gets it a bit harsh from the fans, he is a fairly decent defender at this level. 

I think Ash is quite the decent defender (at least this time around) but I can’t help feel that he caused a lot of our problems. When oppositions press our defence, they seem to leave Taylor alone. That leaves plenty of bodies to keep everyone else tight. So playing against us becomes quite straightforward - press everyone and leave Taylor in space until someone passes to him. You can then be fairly sure that him or joe is going to punt it and that is all too easy to deal with.

from where I sit (admittedly a long way away) it feels like we spend so much effort figuring out how to stifle opposition instead of how we can use the ball correctly. Ash isn’t the first footballer to be limited in certain areas - you just need need to acknowledge that and work as a team to overcome them. Seems to me that we are quite happy to take the easy option - knock it to the open man who can only give away possession by punting up the park, defend, win  back possession, repeat. Yawn.

2 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

FFS. Imagine pulling someone up and not even getting it right yourself. 

😆

3 hours ago, alscotoz said:

So why take off the young guy who could be our future? As usual the management persevere with the pish journeymen they dump on us. 

Aye. That is fucking shocking.
Ojo was clearly the most useless cunt on the pitch. By 9.46 trillion kilometres.

Horrifically incompetent management to scapegoat the young loon. Bearded tit.

The biggest mistake was thinking that taking our best midfielder out of the midfield and putting him up front was a good idea in the first place. 

Hopefully that wee experiment is put to bed now. 

Edited by aberdeen1970

I’ve a degree of sympathy there.  We didn’t have a number 9 (although there’s an arguement why not of course).  And we had, unusually for us an abundance of capable defensive midfielders.  Needs musted 

12 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

FFS. Imagine pulling someone up and not even getting it right yourself. 

It was silly of me to say McKenna not sure where I got that from,rookie mistake but couldn’t of put it better myself 

Cant moan about 3 points in the circumstances.

I see no-one has mentioned the hair band to Hedges yet.

Anyone know owt about the Welsh guy we have rushed in to face Livi?

14 minutes ago, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Cant moan about 3 points in the circumstances.

I see no-one has mentioned the hair band to Hedges yet.

Anyone know owt about the Welsh guy we have rushed in to face Livi?

I've just copied what I posted in the 'Marley Watkins' thread -

Bristol City fan here who also watches lots of the SPFL on the box. I think Marley will be a good signing. He is quick, can play anywhere across the forward line, decent in the air, physical and plays for the jersey. He has been unlucky at City that he has been competing with 5m + strikers like Nakhi Wells, Bobby Reid and Famara Diedhou over past 3 years. Given that most defences in the SPFL will be below Championship standard I think he can be a decent performer. Hope so as I've always had a soft spot for AFC.

Just now, SGlosReds said:

Bristol City fan here who also watches lots of the SPFL on the box. I think Marley will be a good signing. He is quick, can play anywhere across the forward line, decent in the air, physical and plays for the jersey. He has been unlucky at City that he has been competing with 5m + strikers like Nakhi Wells, Bobby Reid and Famara Diedhou over past 3 years. Given that most defences in the SPFL will be below Championship standard I think he can be a decent performer. Hope so as I've always had a soft spot for AFC.

Hanz' , what, 6th account?

1 hour ago, SGlosReds said:

If true we have to supply him with the ball for the opportunity to score. Which we are at the moment not very good at 

1 hour ago, pocrawred said:

If true we have to supply him with the ball for the opportunity to score. Which we are at the moment not very good at 

He's a strong runner, so crosses or balls into channels he will thrive on. He is not a 'fox in the box' type poacher though, that is for certain.

2 hours ago, SGlosReds said:

He's a strong runner, so crosses or balls into channels he will thrive on. He is not a 'fox in the box' type poacher though, that is for certain.

A bit of pace in team might help. 

11 hours ago, SGlosReds said:

Might be worth playing Watkins and Anderson at some point.

(I do like an attack. Especially at home.) 

It's never worth playing Anderson under any circumstances. 
It might not be worth playing Watkins either but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for 2 or 3 games

(I do like a Taylor hat trick. Especially when it doesn't include an o.g.)

Edited by Ten Caat