Ryan Edmondson

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Best out and out goalscorer I'd agree. But best striker....no can't buy that. Had McDougall been in the CWC Final in the position Magoo found himself in extra time....I'm not sure he would have skipped past the Real defender never mind Hewitt receiving the cross he did.

(I'm not saying Magoo is the best striker we have had either btw)

To be fair Mcghee was a totally different striker or forward maybe. He liked to peel off wide and he had a great cross on him whereas Frankie was an out and out goalscorer who scored some amazing goals and also as many scrappy goals, obviously injury blighted his career. Spent a bit of time in Barcelona in the early 90's and Archibald was still spoken about then amongst the Catalans who loved him when he was there, his career stats were good also with a goal every 3 games.It is tough to call we have had so many great strikers. I loved Shearer who was similar to Mcdougall and Gilhaus was very talented.Eric Black was a quality striker who doesn't often get mentioned.I actually believe Rooney would have been even better under a more attack minded manager , I think he would have scored even more if he was allowed to play the role Shearer and Mcdougall did. Any of the mentioned strikers would massively improve us Today though

On 8/13/2020 at 8:43 AM, Sonoftherock said:

Devlins injury was leaked on the various Aberdeen messageboards almost immediately... was at least a week or so before it was confirmed by McInnes.

A number of recent signings and transfer activity has been leaked too... last 12 months or so, a lot more information making its way into the public domain before being formally announced by club.  McInnes never used to let anything get out...

Yip, it's a very leaky place now adays but of course for some there's always been info that gets out just depends how ITK you are, like me, top level ITK I knew we were signing Gallagher a few months before.

Guest the shepherd
14 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

I remember back in the early 90s Fergie saying McClair was his best signing. 

Alex Ferguson started losing it in November 1986, so I take what he said about Choccy McClair with a large pinch of salt?.

20 hours ago, Sheepo said:

To be fair Mcghee was a totally different striker or forward maybe. He liked to peel off wide and he had a great cross on him whereas Frankie was an out and out goalscorer who scored some amazing goals and also as many scrappy goals, obviously injury blighted his career. Spent a bit of time in Barcelona in the early 90's and Archibald was still spoken about then amongst the Catalans who loved him when he was there, his career stats were good also with a goal every 3 games.It is tough to call we have had so many great strikers. I loved Shearer who was similar to Mcdougall and Gilhaus was very talented.Eric Black was a quality striker who doesn't often get mentioned.I actually believe Rooney would have been even better under a more attack minded manager , I think he would have scored even more if he was allowed to play the role Shearer and Mcdougall did. Any of the mentioned strikers would massively improve us Today though

Even though some are in their 60 and 70s?

16 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. Not only did Jarvie have the same haircut as Bobby Charlton he could hit a screamer from distance like him too. 

8th in the all time appearance list and 5th in the all time scorer list.  Not bad for a ten year spell. 

Always put in a shift did Drew. Underrated. Good player

Mcdougall for me the best finisher I ever saw at Pittodrie, 

Ferguson says in Frank's book that Mcdougall was the best finisher he had ever worked with. 

The Mcdougall and Black pairing was split up far too soon they worked in perfect tandem, I used to love watching the two of them smashing hat tricks  past the two tracksuit bottom clad, useless, flailing arms of McCloy and butter shortbread fingers Walker. 

Mcdougall for me the best finisher I have seen. 

On 8/16/2020 at 8:16 AM, ericblack4boss said:

Mcdougall for me the best finisher I ever saw at Pittodrie, 

Ferguson says in Frank's book that Mcdougall was the best finisher he had ever worked with. 

The Mcdougall and Black pairing was split up far too soon they worked in perfect tandem, I used to love watching the two of them smashing hat tricks  past the two tracksuit bottom clad, useless, flailing arms of McCloy and butter shortbread fingers Walker. 

Mcdougall for me the best finisher I have seen. 

A better natural finisher than John "Budgie" Stewart though? King Jimmy would find it hard to agree

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I've heard both October and November being mentioned in different reports. 

Sure I saw 8 weeks being the projected minimum time out which would be early October. But the injury was kept quiet by the club for about a week although it was being discussed on Leeds forums the day it happened