Ross Mccrorie

7 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I think McCrorie has been brought in for the long term to play centre mid. I expect he will play the Shinnie role of chasing, harrying and getting in about people, However over the next few months with quarantining, bans, and injuries he may be used in some other roles. Bryson was brought in to do that harrying role but unfortunately his time at the club just hasn't worked out due to the run of injuries and will leave next summer or possibly before.

One thing Ross will need to be careful with though is playing for us he will get far more bookings than he got in the past as refs wont be so lenient. Shinnie used to get a lot of bookings but most of the time knew when to hold back from the rest of the game but im not sure McCrorie has learnt that so might be liable to red cards unless he learns fast that refs wont be lenient when he plays for us. He got sent off with 2 yellows in his first league game for Portsmouth in midfield and was moved to right back following that as they were worried about him getting too many cards in the centre of the park.

Will be interested to see if him playing in there will improve the performances of Ojo or McGeouch as both played their best football in a season when they were beside someone full of energy who liked to get in about people (Ryan Yates beside Ojo, McGinn beside Mcgeouch) or if we decide to go with Campbell beside him as our midfield for the long term.

If we are not going to play Dean in there right now I want to see him go out on loan to another SPL club to play week in, week out. From towards the end of last year until lockdown, I felt there was a change in Dean's play and you could see that he was really progressing. I felt like he looked like he felt at home at first team level and believed he belonged there. Before that he did ok whenever he played without really showing what he was about, He was just a little safe in his play but he started to look like he truly believed he belonged in the first team and wanted to show everyone how good he really is. Therefore if he is not going to start regularly this season I want to see him do so for someone else to keep him progressing.

I fully believe that McCrorie and Campbell will be the midfield base the team will be built around in the future but it will be interesting to see when they first play in there together regularly for our 1st team, and will it be sooner rather than later.  

We've definitely missed some physical presence since Shinnie left.  Ferguson can handle himself, but McCrorie is a bona fide hatchet man.  Unfortunately you probably do need a player like that in Scottish football.  Agree that he will need to be more careful, but as you say hopefully his spell at Portsmouth has reined him in a bit and made him realise that he wont get the protection he was afforded as a Rangers player. 

Sounds like he might play defense initially, to cover the current shit storm, but from what the boy was saying in his interview, he's here as a CM.  

12 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Agree re Deano - hes ready for first team level now so if its not going to be with us i'd like to see him go to a mid table club on loan to get that run. Long term he will be fine but needs a run now. Hopefully that is with us. 

At his age I don't know if he can afford to have another season like last year, where he was sitting on the bench most weeks.  Will be 20 years old by the end of this season, and hasn't played much since making his debut in 2017.

Hopefully he gets the nod next to McRorie this year.  From what I saw of Ojo, McGeouch and Campbell last season, I'd much prefer Deano gets the shout.  If not, get him out somewhere and get a full season into him...

21 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

What’s the fascination with Dean Campbell? Looks completely average.

Other than Ferguson in centre mid, who has showed they are consistently better than him? Mcgeough has been crap, Ojo has looked good in flashes but majorly honking in others. Bryson is never fit. 

Other than the red card (which I thought was harsh) i dont think Campbell has ever let us down. 

Might be that because he is a more technical midfielder, and not an in your face, run like a headless chicken type like Shinnie, he doesnt get the plaudits his play merits. Keeps things ticking over and room for that type of player in any team. Granted a midfield 3 of the same type of player doesnt work (take note Mcinnes) but at this moment in time I think he's preferable to Ojo and McGeough. 

2 hours ago, dazzy_deff said:

Other than Ferguson in centre mid, who has showed they are consistently better than him? Mcgeough has been crap, Ojo has looked good in flashes but majorly honking in others. Bryson is never fit. 

Other than the red card (which I thought was harsh) i dont think Campbell has ever let us down. 

Might be that because he is a more technical midfielder, and not an in your face, run like a headless chicken type like Shinnie, he doesnt get the plaudits his play merits. Keeps things ticking over and room for that type of player in any team. Granted a midfield 3 of the same type of player doesnt work (take note Mcinnes) but at this moment in time I think he's preferable to Ojo and McGeough. 

Yep. Campbell looks the most technical midfielder we have. Good range of passing and rarely gives it away.

I think he’d compliment Ferguson and McCrorie well in there... McGeouch has shown nothing at Aberdeen, while Ojo flatters to deceive.

just my opinion like

Ferguson and Campbell looked a good pairing in the games they played together. 

Campbell was doing fine at both centre midfield and even at left wing back until his two quick yellow cards which got him sent off.  That seems to have clouded some people's opinions but I'd bet he won't be falling for that again. 

I'd rather we went with McGrorie, Campbell and Ferguson in midfield than the other three that's for sure. 

6 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Yes in a triangle.  No in a line with zero attacking threat from any of them or worse trying to fit into the space where only two (and lets be honest against StJ ideally 1) should be. 

Pretty sure he tried this last year but Ferguson in particular didn't seem to understand where he was supposed to be, and ended up neither forward or back.

Aye I was thinking one holding with the other two more advanced. 

McInnes is more likely to invert that triangle though. 

24 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Campbell was doing fine at both centre midfield and even at left wing back until his two quick yellow cards which got him sent off.  That seems to have clouded some people's opinions but I'd bet he won't be falling for that again. 

I'd rather we went with McGrorie, Campbell and Ferguson in midfield than the other three that's for sure. 

Who the fuck is McGrorie? Every fuckin time.

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Potential to turn into a famous midfield 

8 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

You were relentlessly proven wrong. 

That’s just it though. I really wasn’t 

also the attempt at proving me wrong was factually incorrect as far as games/starts & minutes went.

Maynard was played far far more than his play merited & he was given game time ahead of others more deserving.

mcinnes was desperate not to be embarrassed by signing him so gave him every chance he could, same as he does with Main but at least Main finally had a couple of ok games

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

19 year old local lad who has came through the youth system.  

Good technique and in the first team squad at 17. A genuine prospect. 

Why would people not be willing him on? 

That's what a club like Aberdeen should be all about. 

Whereas McRorie comes into the club and folk will be right on his back as soon as he makes a mistake because of the club he previously played for. Folk writing off Ojo and McGeouch but shooting their load over “Deano”. It’s embarrassing.

• Downvote 1
10 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

Whereas McRorie comes into the club and folk will be right on his back as soon as he makes a mistake because of the club he previously played for. Folk writing off Ojo and McGeouch but shooting their load over “Deano”. It’s embarrassing.

I want all our players to do well.

But it's entirely natural that local folk will want a local lad to get into the team.  It's not surprising, surely? 

When i was a lad I wanted Cooper, Simpson, Black and Hewitt to do well as they came into the team as youngsters. 

It was the same before that and its the same now. 

• Upvote 3
Guest the shepherd
7 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

Thought he did well Tonight already looks a better midfielder than Ojo and that is with him playing right back

Good debut from the lad, apart from one horrible pass in the first half that nearly put us in danger. Very accomplished second half performance.