Marley Watkins

There goes the football we've been enjoying. So much of it is down to him. 

McInnes got it wrong starting Cosgrove on Sunday, he should've had him as an impact sub like in the previous league game v Celtic. 

His work ethic, link up and hold up play is what's making us watchable. Cosgrove is a 6'0+ penalty box striker, outside the box he doesn't have the ability to effectively link play. Plain for everyone to see, but McInnes. 

This is bad news. 

Watkins to replace McGinn in the summer is the shout from me. 

Try to sign him on a pre contract for the first half of January.

If he agrees we can see what Bristol say. Or wait till the summer.

If he does not agree then move on. He's been decent but we can give the opportunity to someone else if he refuses to commit.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

I think in the current financial climate we should  only be making priority signings,  CH and CF.  We're not short of wide men. 

Depends on the finances yes.  But if you can afford him do you take him now or risk someone else taking him? 

McGinn will be gone by summer, possibly Wright and McLennan too. No guarantees re Watkins either.   Then you have plenty of spaces for him. 

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Depends on the finances yes.  But if you can afford him do you take him now or risk someone else taking him? 

McGinn will be gone by summer, possibly Wright and McLennan too. No guarantees re Watkins either.   Then you have plenty of spaces for him. 

There's every chance there'll still be no fans at games at the start of next season the way things are going,  folly to be signing players that aren't desperately needed when we don't know where the income is coming from to pay their wages next season. I don't think some folk realise how fucked up things might become financially in 6 months time if we can't shift season tickets. 

6 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

There's every chance there'll still be no fans at games at the start of next season the way things are going,  folly to be signing players that aren't desperately needed when we don't know where the income is coming from to pay their wages next season. I don't think some folk realise how fucked up things might become financially in 6 months time if we can't shift season tickets. 

I totally get that. 

We have loads of players potentially leaving in the summer or before though. Well into double figures. 

Attacking players:

Cosgrove likely to be sold 

Main and Anderson out of contract 

Edmondson and Watkins loans end. 

McGinn, Wright and McLennan out of contract. 

Defensive players: 

Hoban, Taylor,  Logan, Leigh, Devlin out of contract. 

Goalies : Cerny out of contract. Woods loan ends.

That's 15 for a start. Just off the top of my head.  I've probably missed a few more. 

2 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I totally get that. 

We have loads of players potentially leaving in the summer or before though. Well into double figures. 

Attacking players:

Cosgrove likely to be sold 

Main and Anderson out of contract 

Edmondson and Watkins loans end. 

McGinn, Wright and McLennan out of contract. 

Defensive players: 

Hoban, Taylor,  Logan, Leigh, Devlin out of contract. 

Goalies : Cerny out of contract. Woods loan ends.

That's 15 for a start. Just off the top of my head.  I've probably missed a few more. 

plus Virtanen plus Ethan Ross and that sounds about right.

A lot of room for manoeuvre.

24 minutes ago, Redmist1903 said:

Whats your obsession with this Virtanen boy min? I don't know why you keep on mentioning him, he's a young loon that is quite clearly never going to make the grade.

He's a good player. He'll do ok after Aberdeen. He'll be one or two divisions higher than Bruce Anderson before too long.

I see Dean Holden has said Marley will be staying with them for the rest of the season according to the Bristol Post.

"Bristol City are in need of midfield reinforcements, with Jamie Paterson ruled out for the Boxing Day game against Wycombe and with Liam Walsh and Joe Williams still in the treatment room for the next weeks.

But City will have another attacking player for the back-end of the campaign, as Marley Watkins has returned from Aberdeen.

The 30-year-old versatile forward had impressed in a loan up at the Dons under former City boss Derek McInnes, netting twice in nine SPFL appearances, before a hamstring injury led to the former Barnsley and Norwich City man coming back to Ashton Gate.

Head coach Dean Holden confirmed that Watkins was back in BS3 on Wednesday afternoon. And also that Watkins will remain in the South West for the rest of the campaign, as he looks to recover from his knock.

"Yes, he has [returned]. He’ll be back rehabilitating with us," confirmed Holden.

"He got a hamstring injury up at Aberdeen and was performing really well, becoming an integral part of their team. Unfortunately he picked up this injury and he’s back with us to rehabilitate and we’l l go from there.

"His period of rehabilitation is going to take him beyond the loan window closing. So Marley will be back with us and will rehab with us and then we’ll assess when he’s back fit if he can rejoin the squad," he said.

Meanwhile the head coach has also explained that none of the club's long-term injured players are due back at the weekend."

37 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

I see Dean Holden has said Marley will be staying with them for the rest of the season according to the Bristol Post.

"Bristol City are in need of midfield reinforcements, with Jamie Paterson ruled out for the Boxing Day game against Wycombe and with Liam Walsh and Joe Williams still in the treatment room for the next weeks.

But City will have another attacking player for the back-end of the campaign, as Marley Watkins has returned from Aberdeen.

The 30-year-old versatile forward had impressed in a loan up at the Dons under former City boss Derek McInnes, netting twice in nine SPFL appearances, before a hamstring injury led to the former Barnsley and Norwich City man coming back to Ashton Gate.

Head coach Dean Holden confirmed that Watkins was back in BS3 on Wednesday afternoon. And also that Watkins will remain in the South West for the rest of the campaign, as he looks to recover from his knock.

"Yes, he has [returned]. He’ll be back rehabilitating with us," confirmed Holden.

"He got a hamstring injury up at Aberdeen and was performing really well, becoming an integral part of their team. Unfortunately he picked up this injury and he’s back with us to rehabilitate and we’l l go from there.

"His period of rehabilitation is going to take him beyond the loan window closing. So Marley will be back with us and will rehab with us and then we’ll assess when he’s back fit if he can rejoin the squad," he said.

Meanwhile the head coach has also explained that none of the club's long-term injured players are due back at the weekend."

:clangers2:

And most of our defence as well

considine-Most reliable but limited

logan-he’s a Plummer now

hernandez-hes a ghost and is likely sold 

Hoban-injury free best defender by miles,pity his legs are like paper mache and also might fuck off at the end of the season anyway

taylor-shite lump of wood

devlin-dead a think

leigh-meh

hayes-old, best days are behind him

to be fair Lewis is also getting on and this season has been prone to a few more mistakes than normal for him so will need a quality keeper in shortly

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
4 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We need to replace all our strikers. 

Two aren't ours. 

One wants out and can't be arsed. 

The other two aren't good enough. 

Aye, I don’t think any would be missed out of Cosgrove, Main or Edmondson.

And if Watkins isn’t coming back, three new strikers are required.

Even in the short term, a couple of loans until the summer when we can sign permanent players. 
But if it’s more bang average players like Ross Stewart coming in, (still to score a goal from open play this season) then we won’t get better.