Aberdeen 1 - 0 Kilmarnock

5 hours ago, Shinniesta said:

Cosgrove has certainly got a fight on his hands to get back into the starting 11 once he is fit.

5 hours ago, afc1903mad said:

He probably won’t find it too tough.

Aberdeen will want him back in the shop window and hopefully regenerate interest in him

My concern is that if he is reintroduced into the the first team McInnes will revert back to last seasons 4-5-1 tactics (Hoofball). Cosgrove's injury has actually been a blessing in disguise.

It would be interesting to see how a striking partnership of Cosgrove and Watkins would do.

Edmundson also looks to be set for an early return.

At some point we'll potentially have Cosgrove, Edmundson, Watkins, Anderson and Main all vying to play up top.

27 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

My concern is that if he is reintroduced into the the first team McInnes will revert back to last seasons 4-5-1 tactics (Hoofball). Cosgrove's injury has actually been a blessing in disguise.

It would be interesting to see how a striking partnership of Cosgrove and Watkins would do.

Edmundson also looks to be set for an early return.

At some point we'll potentially have Cosgrove, Edmundson, Watkins, Anderson and Main all vying to play up top.

Presumably, Watkins would the drop into one of the two positions behind the main striker I.e. either Wright’s or Hedges position.

It could work. His through ball for Wright was perfectly weighted.

33 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

Cosgrove - shop window (silly money from England)

Edmundson - potentially extend loan if he continues to show like he did v Sevco

Watkins - try to sign (on a pre-contract, or wherever that stands)

Anderson - backup or loan again, I'm afraid

Main - sell (if possible) or let contract run down

20 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Presumably, Watkins would the drop into one of the two positions behind the main striker I.e. either Wright’s or Hedges position.

It could work. His through ball for Wright was perfectly weighted.

Aye, Watkins has done well. The one negative is that he doesn’t look like a natural goal scorer who’ll get tap ins etc? 

But he’s been good & led the line well. 

49 minutes ago, starryfish said:

Anyone else struggle to follow the flight of the ball at times yesterday against the white tarpaulin over the seats in the lower RDS? Noticed it a few times when corner kicks were taken.

I was blaming my eye sight but I guess that was the problem. it was only really the corners taken from south stand side at rds end

I'm fairly confident with the players we are playing in midfield this season, who want the ball to feet and have an attitude where they'd let players know they weren't happy, that even if Cosgrove was back we wouldn't revert to punting it and I think in Cosgrove defence he has a good touch, bit of pace, he will be fine and probably prefer our change in style.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Yep, really excited to see what Cosgrove will do in this new style we have 

Scott Wright just through his style alone is a massive factor in our upturn,  delighted for and by him

Yeah, bit disappointed he didn't score that chance on Saturday but otherwise he's adding a lot to our game at the moment. I'll be honest I wasn't sure he had it in him due to lack of strength but looks good at moment.

23 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Yep, really excited to see what Cosgrove will do in this new style we have 

Scott Wright just through his style alone is a massive factor in our upturn,  delighted for and by him

Plus one from me.

I honestly didn't think Wright had it in him and prior to the season starting had pretty much written him off. However the loon is producing his best...and more importantly, consistently good...form he has ever shown with us. I wonder how much his year out has actually helped by concentrating his mind that, with him now being in the final year of his contract, he really had to take this last chance of making a career in football at a relatively high level. And also maybe a bit of maturity thrown into  the bargain...in no way can he be considered " a young loon" any more,

Whatever it is...long may it continue. It's still too early to consider giving him a contract extension but he's certainly going the right way about earning it.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Plus one from me.

I honestly didn't think Wright had it in him and prior to the season starting had pretty much written him off. However the loon is producing his best...and more importantly, consistently good...form he has ever shown with us. I wonder how much his year out has actually helped by concentrating his mind that, with him now being in the final year of his contract, he really had to take this last chance of making a career in football at a relatively high level. And also maybe a bit of maturity thrown into  the bargain...in no way can he be considered " a young loon" any more,

Whatever it is...long may it continue. It's still too early to consider giving him a contract extension but he's certainly going the right way about earning it.

I'm sure I read a couple of positive interviews with him when he was out or just coming back, seems to really want to make an impact.

9 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Plus one from me.

I'd written him off too and been delighted by his return to the team and impact made.

Glad he's currently making me eat my words.

Hope he's been made to work on his finishing in training today though.

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

Harsh. The keeper did well, came out quick, filled his goal. Richarlison's miss yesterday was worse. Wright cleared on the goal line and set up the goal so should be appreciated for his contribution, not castigated for a miss that was never a stonewaller. 

It was a total sitter.

• Downvote 1
3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Harsh. The keeper did well, came out quick, filled his goal. Richarlison's miss yesterday was worse. Wright cleared on the goal line and set up the goal so should be appreciated for his contribution, not castigated for a miss that was never a stonewaller. 

Richarlison's miss was solely down to greed on his part. Should have squared it to DC-L.

My point about Wright finishing training was tongue in cheek,  but he should have scored in my opinion. Thankfully didn't affect the full time points outcome.

13 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Sorry min but it was a complete sitter and there’s no doubt he should be scoring that. Almost identical to his one on one against livi that he buried with aplomb. Maybe the fact that he had a couple more seconds to think about it this time impacted negatively. Regardless I think he has been excellent in recent weeks and echo the sentiment shown by the majority here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
7 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I agree that he should've scored, as in we should expect a professional footballer in that position to stick it in more than 50% of the time but I don't agree that it was a stick-on, or a sitter.

It's down to definitions again. Can anybody explain to me WHY they consider it a sitter? I will respond with my football interpretation of why it wasn't. 

Ok, here's my interpretation.

I believe that a professional football player, through one on one, with no defender challenging, should be hitting the target and at the very least force the keeper to make a save. Therefore it was a poor miss in my view. Had he put his shot on target and forced Rodgers to make a save, then you would accept that's simply put down as a great save.

I think decision making needs to be considered as well. Rodgers had come steaming out, leaving lots of space behind him, so I think with Wrights pace and the space, he could have easily rounded the keeper leaving a simple tap in  

14 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Very good post afc1903mad and I look forward to agreeing with you. Would you define that as a "sitter" though!

Stude, your definition of a sitter is more than 50%. That's harsh in my book.

RUL, why do you think it was a sitter? You were the one who introduced it. 

Well, as you put it, its down to the definition of a sitter.

If you consider their opportunity late in the game when the boy Rory McKenzie had an opportunity that McKenna balloned / sclaffed over the bar, that probably was more of a sitter as the keeper had been drawn out wide, as with the defence, meaning he probably just had to hit the target to score. Hitting it back towards where the defenders were gave McKenna the chance to clear. That said McKennzie was being challenged

In one hand, Wrights opportunity is not a sitter, as he still had to beat the keeper from about 18 yards, but were not going to get much easier opportunities to score

When I think of a sitter, it would normally be a situation when the ball is pulled back or played across the goal, and the player is close range

Say within 10 yards of the goal, with no imminent pressure from a defender, and the keeper not in a strong position.

Cambridge dictionary:

sitter noun [C] (MISSED GOAL)

in football, an easy opportunity to score a goal that a player misses

I don't think Wright's was an easy opportunity. I think it was a very good opportunity, and one that should really be taken more times than not.
  • Upvote 1

Own personal opinion...he should have scored. The Killie keeper (correctly) guessed that he was going to shoot early and was committed to the dive to his left hand side. Wright could (should) have taken the ball around the keeper's right hand side and would have been left with an empty net.

But in view of the clearance that he made almost from right under our own crossbar in the first half, which certainly prevented a goal being scored....he's getting a free pass from me on his miss. I don't think the Wright of 2 seasons ago would have been anywhere near the position he was in in order to make the headed clearance.

• Upvote 1