Aberdeen 1 - 0 Kilmarnock

14 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Very good post afc1903mad and I look forward to agreeing with you. Would you define that as a "sitter" though!

Stude, your definition of a sitter is more than 50%. That's harsh in my book.

RUL, why do you think it was a sitter? You were the one who introduced it. 

Well, as you put it, its down to the definition of a sitter.

If you consider their opportunity late in the game when the boy Rory McKenzie had an opportunity that McKenna balloned / sclaffed over the bar, that probably was more of a sitter as the keeper had been drawn out wide, as with the defence, meaning he probably just had to hit the target to score. Hitting it back towards where the defenders were gave McKenna the chance to clear. That said McKennzie was being challenged

In one hand, Wrights opportunity is not a sitter, as he still had to beat the keeper from about 18 yards, but were not going to get much easier opportunities to score

When I think of a sitter, it would normally be a situation when the ball is pulled back or played across the goal, and the player is close range

Say within 10 yards of the goal, with no imminent pressure from a defender, and the keeper not in a strong position.

Cambridge dictionary:

sitter noun [C] (MISSED GOAL)

in football, an easy opportunity to score a goal that a player misses

I don't think Wright's was an easy opportunity. I think it was a very good opportunity, and one that should really be taken more times than not.
  • Upvote 1

Own personal opinion...he should have scored. The Killie keeper (correctly) guessed that he was going to shoot early and was committed to the dive to his left hand side. Wright could (should) have taken the ball around the keeper's right hand side and would have been left with an empty net.

But in view of the clearance that he made almost from right under our own crossbar in the first half, which certainly prevented a goal being scored....he's getting a free pass from me on his miss. I don't think the Wright of 2 seasons ago would have been anywhere near the position he was in in order to make the headed clearance.

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

I agree with afc1903 and would not call it a sitter even though we agree that it was a poor miss and that we would have reasonably expected him to score. In other words, some of you consider anything over 50/50 a sitter and some of us use that term for a more glaring miss situation.

A sitter would be missing an open goal with ball on a plate.(not literally)

Wright still had the keeper to beat.  You'd have expected him to do a bit better though. 

If this was at the other end of the park, i'd have put money on Joe Lewis in a one v one situation. He's excellent at those.

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

Very good post afc1903mad and I look forward to agreeing with you. Would you define that as a "sitter" though!

Stude, your definition of a sitter is more than 50%. That's harsh in my book.

RUL, why do you think it was a sitter? You were the one who introduced it. 

I may have already covered it previously but  one on one with the keeper, plenty of the goal to aim at, doesn't even hit the target. That is my definition of a sitter.

As to why he missed it? He opened up his foot to much I thought, may even have been a case that he should have curled it in. For all the keeper did well to close the angle, and generally I thought Rogers was decent, he didn't make the save, Wright missed because he failed to hit the target completely.

2 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Own personal opinion...he should have scored. The Killie keeper (correctly) guessed that he was going to shoot early and was committed to the dive to his left hand side. Wright could (should) have taken the ball around the keeper's right hand side and would have been left with an empty net.

But in view of the clearance that he made almost from right under our own crossbar in the first half, which certainly prevented a goal being scored....he's getting a free pass from me on his miss. I don't think the Wright of 2 seasons ago would have been anywhere near the position he was in in order to make the headed clearance.

I also thought he could have dinked it over Rogers as he fully committed to the dive . What i would have done 

1 minute ago, sheepcrooky said:

TBF, Wright getting involved in assists, chances and defensive clearances is certainly a step up. Just let’s hope he keeps it up. 

He seems to have a good relationship on and off the pitch with Hedges which is bringing the best out of both of them. 

Article in "Pink News" incoming shortly??

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

I'm a tad concerned that some of you cunts even know about the pink news. I don't. Never heard of it. I'm nae a poof, I'm nae a poof.

Nor doth I protest too much.

Caught the end of a documentary of a famous faggot last night, George Michael. He was a genius and as gay as a goose. He gave away millions to good causes in his latter years and was very warmly regraded by those who knew him, including those who he didn't bugger. A good cunt by all accounts.

I think the habit of hanging around public toilets put some folk off him. 

16 minutes ago, Millertime said:

Yep, still got a wee boys body,  but something is just clicking right now

He always had it in him, you don't score a hat trick in one of your first games without having something 

A lot of it is down to hedges too, as he seems to have struck up a particular accord with him

A lot of it may also be down to playing more adventurous football which guys like him and Hedges have more freedom to express themselves.

Whether thats Dels choice, or what Dels been instructed is another matter,but you can see were getting more out of the players.Its what Del does after a defeat,.....revert to type?,or hud g'an and ride it out...

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Had forgotten about that. Think it was just called The Pink.

Aye was just called "the Pink"

Always fascinated me how in mid 1980s Glenrothes, I'd get back from a game maybe at Muirton or East End Park....so maybe 5.45pm, 6 at the latest.....and I'd drop into the chipper for my post-match fish supper and they'd have it on sale already. The match reports tended to be incomplete, maybe finishing about the 75 minute mark but the full-time results were always there. Fucking good going to get it printed and distributed from Edinburgh as far as that in the time frame. In those days there was no A92 dual carriageway from Dunfermline all the way to Glenrothes...they'd have to go through Crossgates, Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly etc. 

4 hours ago, Redmist1903 said:

It wasn't a sitter but he should have scored.

I agree with this , especially as his first touch couldn’t really have been much better.*  

*unless he scores with his first touch being a blistering shot a la Duncan Shearer against the Jute bastards in The Great Escape

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
3 hours ago, sheepcrooky said:

Surely the definition of “a sitter” is the situation, not the execution. 

Decent point.

The situation was that it wasn’t a sitter though. The loon still had some work to do and chose the wrong option then was inaccurate in his shot as in he didn’t curl it enough.

Decent game though, let’s not lambast his for missing it and hope he gets another opportunity in the coming games to score and put it behind him.

4 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

If he had hit it in the direction of just inside the post - and therefore is counted as a shot on target instead of off - but the keeper's left leg/foot blocked it to prevent the goal, would that still have been a sitter?

If he'd done that he would have scored and we wouldn't be discussing it.

1 hour ago, Ten Caat said:

Aye was just called "the Pink"

Always fascinated me how in mid 1980s Glenrothes, I'd get back from a game maybe at Muirton or East End Park....so maybe 5.45pm, 6 at the latest.....and I'd drop into the chipper for my post-match fish supper and they'd have it on sale already. The match reports tended to be incomplete, maybe finishing about the 75 minute mark but the full-time results were always there. Fucking good going to get it printed and distributed from Edinburgh as far as that in the time frame. In those days there was no A92 dual carriageway from Dunfermline all the way to Glenrothes...they'd have to go through Crossgates, Cowdenbeath, Lochgelly etc. 

Yup, impressive logistics. I must have been pretty young when it ceased to be, but I did enjoy reading scored (and reports?) from wee teams and leagues of barely heard of.