Sign in to follow this  
rocket_scientist

Holidays 2020

12 hours ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Anyone here been to Copenhagen that can offer advice on cost/ things to do etc. 

Aye.  It's ace but dear as fuck

Kobenhaven. fucking closed after October and bastard freezing as well.  Lot of immigrants as well.

It's a bit like Aberdeen in all those aspects to be fair. 

8 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Some people go on holiday to NOT do things. Some people just go for a walk in a new city and the day just happens. Sure you could plan to see the astronomical clock or visit this gallery or go past a particular shop or see the 9/11 memorial etc. but soaking in the vibe, the architecture, the culture, coming across stuff you never knew about and never heard of, hitting the pubs, restaurants and cafes and meeting new people, that's a more enjoyable way to get introduced to a new place (not possible in Orlando, obviously) for many.

Road trips can similarly be the best holidays without a rigid plan. Just drive and see what you come across, whether from the centre of Italy to the coast, going around Sicily at random, exploring the perimeter of Lake Geneva, it doesn't have to be about DOING things and rides and me me me.

One of the reasons many give for choice of holiday locations is that they speak English. For others (including me), going to places where they do not speak English can be great but within reasonably anticpate-able parameters of course. The middle of the Dordogne or the Loire valley or Lecce and southern Italy is fabulous but I wouldn't rush to Teheran or South Sudan where they might be equally likely to not speak English. Different strokes for different horses.

Never stopped in Toulouse, probably should have though, if I had seen your recommendation before fleeing through I would have. Ended up shooting back up to Normandy to go to Mont Sans Michel. I love Normandy. Fantastic pace of life, quality food in Bayeux/ Caen. 

Agreed on the road trip though, was a great two weeks, nearly 5000 miles. Camped in some fantastic places, off the beaten track. Got creative with cooking on a gas stove/ using the cool box (still gets hait). Eurotunnel was a piece of piss aswell, no track and trace stuff was asked for or presented. So technically exempt from quarantine (whatever that is anyway).

San Sebastian and Zaragoza were charming, had a great villa in Alicante that got robbed on the only night we weren't all there, the drive into Andorra from the south was incredible and they've got a great pace of life. French tolls are a wind up but their women are remarkable. 

Camped beside Loch Lomond last night and shagged into the wee hours on a beach. Woke up naked and Baltic.

Most tanned man in Rosemount 2020

Edited by Poodler

Haha, some excellent exploits sir 👍🏻

Don't know Normandy, just somewhere I've passed through. I know Brittany really well though and love it, you're right, it's the pace of life which is so chillled and the food in France is the best.

San Sebastian is class and we stopped off at Saint Jean de Luz on route, just a fantastic spot. That coast, up to Biarritz is great and further north, Bordeaux was magic in 98. Good work Poodler. 

14 hours ago, manboobs109 said:

Anybody know any hotels in Orlando that are near pubs? 

Palm Parkway has a number of hotel options and is within short walking distance of a Millers Ale House* and a Hooters, probably more.  Certainly, a load of local touristy nightlife options, mainly restaurants.

(*it was called Orlando Ale House when we were there.)

Also its within walking distance or a short drive from many of the park attractions, good shops and a Catholic Basilica.

We stayed in "Quality Suites lake Buena Vista" which was decent and ideal for a young couple.  Satisfactory, though the room air con sounded like a million decibel jet engine.  Small pool and breakfast area, but still pretty decent.  Great location and transport links. 4/5 on Trip Advisor (just checked).  Id happily stay there again.

But I would agree with other posters that a villa is probably best for Orlando, though prob expensive.  We would hopefully look at that if we went again, with the kids now, but a hotel is very feasible.

Only been once, but I thought Orlando / Florida was brilliant.

4 minutes ago, Henry said:

@Captain Caveman

Your @ didn't work.

I didn't say anywhere was shite. I'm sure your villa in Florida is lovely.

I was saying you and @BrianFaePerth are a pair of absolute fucking arseholes. 

Hope this clears up any confusion. 

Just returned to give this a +1.

Fantastic.

2 minutes ago, The Boofon said:

Just returned to give this a +1.

Fantastic.

+2 👍🏻

More excellence from the cheap hoover. Sorry, cheap vacuum. He's producing some good shit. The strewth, bloke in a dress post was golden. 

Go for the Hardrock hotel for at least one night as it gives you free unlimited access to all Universal stuff.

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

Go for the Hardrock hotel for at least one night as it gives you free unlimited access to all Universal stuff.

Hardrock hotel.

The global, more expensive version of Weatherspoons.

Yes buy what I am saying is stay there for one night as if you do it saves gives you free fast passes to all Universal. Villa the rest of the time.

Edited by Fridge

Louis Theroux's retrospective tonight included a piece on Las Vegas. What a terribly tragic place. My instinct was right not to want to go. Different folks, different jokes. He is such a good film maker. Someone who continually teaches us about ourselves. Also on iPlayer. 

7 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Louis Theroux's retrospective tonight included a piece on Las Vegas. What a terribly tragic place. My instinct was right not to want to go. Different folks, different jokes. He is such a good film maker. Someone who continually teaches us about ourselves. Also on iPlayer. 

Quite interesting that, for some that documentary is what kicked off the Vegas bug for them, as you say though rocket, different folks for different jokes.

Theroux is brilliant. His shows are definitely my most watched on Netflix. 

will catch up with tonight's on iPlayer through the week. 

1 minute ago, Laichomoray said:

Just back myself from the West coast,in 20oC all weekend.Heading down to Lismore island to a wee cottage this w/e

On the Achnasheen hills looking over to Torridon

50371027908_e3cd6df848_b.jpgDSC02188 (2) by , on Flickr

There's a fantastic chipper in Oban that gets fish from Peterhead, great standard, fine boy. Always been interested in lismore.

was great weather like, I was up Glas Tulaichean yesterday and it was great. Start of deer stalking season though, now that the tories have finished shooting local birds 

57 minutes ago, Poodler said:

There's a fantastic chipper in Oban that gets fish from Peterhead, great standard, fine boy. Always been interested in lismore.

was great weather like, I was up Glas Tulaichean yesterday and it was great. Start of deer stalking season though, now that the tories have finished shooting local birds 

Will give that chipper a go.  Those Invery hills feel pretty remote compared to the Glenshee's.I enjoyed them.Tough going like,tried to do the 5 in a day,but too knack'd to do An Socach

Lismores great,good for low level walks/cycling,lots of history,but theres no pub,though theres a wee cafe with a licence,and a pretty well stocked shoppie. We turned up at Port Appin ferry thinking it was a car ferry.Had to walk an hour to our cottage.Car ferry at Oban

Edited by Laichomoray

I might bugger off somewhere when home (got some Radisson points to use up)

see where’s available without this quarantine pish - Portugal might be a shout 

tear up Cairo first