Surely Hoban won't be risked on a plastic pitch? I think we will be more cautious and go 4 at the back. So Logan to replace Hoban, Consi to left back and probably Taylor in for one of the midfielders. I'd guess at Kennedy but if not him then Wright, with Watkins left to his own devices up top. 

7 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Maybe but will be the same starting 11, I think. Appears they are shite defensively so let’s have a go at them. We seem to be more of a counter attacking side now anyway which should suit us on Thursday.

IF we get thru this one, then I’d expect to see McGeouch come in for Wright for the Lisbon game: 

I disagree on same XI. I think we'll play 4231

59 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

Why not? We've played the same formation in the last 3 games. Hernandez hasn't featured in the last 4 games, and wasn't even on the bench against Killie. 

If its correct that Viking play 433/451 with 2 quick, tricky wingers I think its highly unlikely we will play a back 3. I don't think we would want our central defenders getting pulled out there where they may get exposed or alternatively our wing backs are faced with a 2 on 1 with a full back and a winger both possibly running at Kennedy and Hayes. Also the 3 central defenders could be left to pick up one central striker.

In the last games we have played teams who were also playing 3 at the back and McInnes likes to match up with that system. 

I think we will see a 451 and it will depend on how highly McInnes rates Viking as to whether he goes more attacking by playing Hayes at left back with Hedges ahead or if he is more apprehensive he will play Considine at left back with Hayes ahead of him.  

Lewis

Logan, Hoban, McKenna, Considine or Hayes.

McCrorie, Ferguson,

Kennedy,       Wright ,    Hayes or Hedges

Wright

Watkins

6 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Surely Hoban won't be risked on a plastic pitch? I think we will be more cautious and go 4 at the back. So Logan to replace Hoban, Consi to left back and probably Taylor in for one of the midfielders. I'd guess at Kennedy but if not him then Wright, with Watkins left to his own devices up top. 

Will be interesting to see phit the manager does on thursday. But whereas we used to think "GAAAADS" whenever a back 3 was deployed, now I'd be thinking similiarly if we went to a back 4, which included Taylor at CB and Consi at LB

Hoban won't start on the plastic pitch. Can see McCrorie dropping back and McGeouch coming in to the midfield. Wouldn't surprise me to see Logan or Taylor start either though. Viking been on a good run of form recently so will be a tough match. Sporting Lisbon going to be without 7 first team players for the next game and will have only played one competitive game since the end of July.

7 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

What's the difference this season with a back 3, previously it had been a Fucking shambles. 

Don't get me wrong I've always been an advocate of a back 3 I've always maintained if the opposition play 1 striker then a back 3 should suffice as long as you have hard workinf wing backs 

Because in the past, we have played Logan and Considine as wing backs , who prove no threat at all going forward. Kennedy and Hayes in there make a huge difference. 

• Upvote 1

I don't see McInnes playing a different formation.

If Viking are 4-3-3- / 4-5-1, he'll not want to be outnumbered in midfield, so reckon he will keep our 3-4-2-1 formation.

Both Hedges and Wright did well defensively when called upon last game, despite them being our main players behind Watkins.

his plan should be that we force them back with our strength of player quality (Hayes / Wright down the left, Kennedy / Hedges down the right). That should be enough to keep their wide men / full backs on their toes.

My team lineup (considering protecting Hoban on the plastic pitch) 

.......................Lewis

........Taylor McKenna Considine

Kennedy ................................Hayes

..............Ferguson McCrorie

Hedges .................................Wright

....................Watkins

Given McCrorie also took a couple of knocks, I'd even consider putting him on the bench for McGeouch to save him for Sunday. Depends on how confident DM is for beating Viking

Having the interchangeability and movement from the midfield / strikers should be able to open up opportunities on Thursday.

I feel an early COME ON YOU REDS! coming on

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Quick question for those who might know better.

For the VirtualST logon, I cannot view through my smartTV, so have to watch it on a tablet / computer. I tried screen mirroring it but then seemed to get some lag issues.

So the question is, Can the Red TV be viewed on SmartTV's?

Same for me. I just hard wire the ipad to smart tv and no issues.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Quick question for those who might know better.

For the VirtualST logon, I cannot view through my smartTV, so have to watch it on a tablet / computer. I tried screen mirroring it but then seemed to get some lag issues.

So the question is, Can the Red TV be viewed on SmartTV's?

I've watched RedTV through smart TVs.

Just through internet browser, chrome, firefox or IE.

Though normally much less hassle just to extend via HDMI cable from laptop.

Or mirror from tablet.

50 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

If its correct that Viking play 433/451 with 2 quick, tricky wingers I think its highly unlikely we will play a back 3. I don't think we would want our central defenders getting pulled out there where they may get exposed or alternatively our wing backs are faced with a 2 on 1 with a full back and a winger both possibly running at Kennedy and Hayes. Also the 3 central defenders could be left to pick up one central striker.

In the last games we have played teams who were also playing 3 at the back and McInnes likes to match up with that system. 

I think we will see a 451 and it will depend on how highly McInnes rates Viking as to whether he goes more attacking by playing Hayes at left back with Hedges ahead or if he is more apprehensive he will play Considine at left back with Hayes ahead of him.  

Lewis

McCrorie, Ferguson,

Wright

Watkins

Bad enough when our manager shits his pants and starts "matching up to the opposition" never mind fans joining in.

Let the tinpot Noggie cunts worry about us.  we've been playing well the past few weeks, why change it?

• Upvote 5
1 hour ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Lewis

McCrorie, Ferguson,

Wright

Watkins

I can't see us playing with 12 men and using Wright in two positions. 

• Downvote 1
5 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

I can't see us playing with 10 men and using Wright in two positions. 

I can’t see us playing somebody you claimed to play for us either, fucking mcrorie? Who the fuck is that stand free?, you support the club but can’t spell our most in form player.

• Downvote 4

Derek might out think himself here.

Perceived wisdom in football is if you’re up against a 4-3-3 with two wide men, you play a back 4.

We’ve been successful with a 3-4-2-1.

He might, as Supportmeanssupport suggested, play a 4-2-3-1

if so;

Lewis

Logan Hoban McKenna Considine

Ferguson McCrorie

Kennedy Wright Hayes

Watkins

Personally I’d stick with the 3-4-2-1 as it’s not as if Hoban or Considine aren’t used to getting dragged wide into full back positions if absolutely necessary although that should be Kennedy & Hayes first of all. 

Lewis

Hoban McKenna Considine

Kennedy Ferguson McCrorie Hayes

Hedges Wright

Watkins  

• Downvote 1
43 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Derek might out think himself here.

Perceived wisdom in football is if you’re up against a 4-3-3 with two wide men, you play a back 4.

We’ve been successful with a 3-4-2-1.

He might, as Supportmeanssupport suggested, play a 4-2-3-1

if so;

Lewis

Logan Hoban McKenna Considine

Ferguson McCrorie

Kennedy Wright Hayes

Watkins

Personally I’d stick with the 3-4-2-1 as it’s not as if Hoban or Considine aren’t used to getting dragged wide into full back positions if absolutely necessary although that should be Kennedy & Hayes first of all. 

Lewis

Hoban McKenna Considine

Kennedy Ferguson McCrorie Hayes

Hedges Wright

Watkins  

Your first team is just a bit more solid. I think it's more likely to be close to that.

2 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

This should be most peoples concern.

Keep the team as is and try to take the game to them. If we can’t beat a team like Viking playing to our strengths, then we’re dreaming if we think we can make the groups. 

Agree totally. 
It’s the toughest draw we could’ve got but failure here would be another black mark in McInnes European record