Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Very good result. I'd say Viking are a similar level to St Johnstone or Livingston.

Motherwell having to play an additional 30 mins of extra time . Benefits us as they will have some tired legs for this weekend - plus they are a man down.

McCrorie scored a great goal but I thought he wasn't at his best at right back (not his natural position). Agree with Cowan - he seemed out of sorts at times. 

McGeough played very well again. Fergie was quieter than usual. We missed Kennedy tonight IMO.

Hedges was once again brilliant. I personally don't think he meant the the goal from the corner kick. My MOTM.

Wright can be frustrating at times to watch. He has moments where he will create something out of nothing but other times he's anonymous. He needs to get stuck in more - backs out of challenges far too often. He maybe should have done better with his miss.

Viking had their chances to score. We seemed nervous at times at the back. McCrorie back into midfield with Kennedy at right wing back for the weekend.

A good team performance and win.

Just now, Sheepo said:

Good solid performance, missed a few chances though. Thought Wright and Hedges were superb and Jonny had another good game. Watkins worked hard but could be done with a goal. A good night and hopefully we go to Lisbon with an other win on Sunday 

Having Jonny back has made a huge difference.  McCrorie rightfully getting the plaudits but Hayes is a big boost for us as well. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Zeus said:

We were excellent Imo. Again some nice football being played. No way does Cosgrove walk straight back into the team. 

Nobody had a bad game but Hedges and Hayes were pick of the bunch. 

Don’t see why Cosgrove wouldn’t deserve chance to limp back into the side if Watkins cannot find a finished product.

he can do all the work he likes but ‘strikers’ are in teams to score goals.

Cosgrove has proven capable of this. Watkins hasn’t as yet.

if for no other reason by time Cosgrove is fit & strikers still not scoring. McInnes wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t give Cosgrove chance. If for no other reason than to show Watkins he’s here to score goals.

actually think Leeds fkr will be in before Cosgrove anyway

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2
1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Don’t see why Cosgrove wouldn’t deserve chance to limp back into the side if Watkins cannot find a finished product.

Cosgrove has proven capable of this. Watkins hasn’t as yet

Wouldn't like to change a winning side too much, but I'd be interested to see a up front pairing of Watkins and Cosgrove, think they would complement each other.

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

I know it feels like a lifetime ago but Cosgrove was benched the last few games before the season was cut short. 

Watkins is getting a hard time for not scoring but his work up front is making space for Hedges and Wright to play which also allows the wing backs to get forward to join in. 

1 minute ago, fine-n-dandy said:

They aren't really nowadays though. Not in these modern formations.

At our level we need a guy who can make it work for everyone else first, score goals second imo.

Cosgrove will get a chance but I don't think it's as easy a choice as it might have been.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I know it feels like a lifetime ago but Cosgrove was benched the last few games before the season was cut short. 

Watkins is getting a hard time for not scoring but his work up front is making space for Hedges and Wright to play which also allows the wing backs to get forward to join in. 

I don’t think he’s getting a hard time at all. I think he’s getting plenty deserved credit for his work rate & efforts for team.

end product is still missing tho & that can be spoken about without taking the rest away from him. 

1 minute ago, Simply Red said:

Del loves Cosgrove. As soon as he’s fit he’ll be back in. I like to think with this team, even an under-par Cosgrove can create enough space in a defence for the likes of Hayes/Hedges to exploit. 

It'll change the way the whole team plays though, Cosgrove not as mobile or hard working up top. Albeit he'll score more.

It's good to have both options tbh.

And we have Main.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Del loves Cosgrove. As soon as he’s fit he’ll be back in. I like to think with this team, even an under-par Cosgrove can create enough space in a defence for the likes of Hayes/Hedges to exploit. 

Am curious to see what Sam can do in this change of style.Remember that purple patch he was on,last year was it? despite the turgidity of the football,and before the enthusiasm was drained out of him with the hoofball. New style might spark him to life again

• Upvote 1

I don’t think he’s getting a hard time at all. I think he’s getting plenty deserved credit for his work rate & efforts for team.

end product is still missing tho & that can be spoken about without taking the rest away from him. 

Last season we relied on Cosgrove to score and if he didn't we were pretty fucked. 

This year others are scoring and getting chances. 

Personally i don't think this team will be as effective with Cosgrove up front as he can't do the work Watkins is doing.  His work rate is very impressive. 

But, if Cosgrove comes back and the team kicks on with him in it, I'll be happy to be proved wrong. 

Don’t see why a striker like Cosgrove cannot fit into this ‘new look’ exciting Aberdeen side.

he’s good with both feet & his head. Can score all types of goals & has proven as such. Other than direct free kicks

It's not that he can't fit in but so far Marley is going ok and Cosgrove probably wouldn't work as hard for the rest of the team, albeit he would score more.

2 different options.

I think Watkins is better than Main. That's the important thing tbh.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Last season we relied on Cosgrove to score and if he didn't we were pretty fucked. 

This year others are scoring and getting chances. 

Personally i don't think this team will be as effective with Cosgrove up front as he can't do the work Watkins is doing.  His work rate is very impressive. 

But, if Cosgrove comes back and the team kicks on with him in it, I'll be happy to be proved wrong. 

Hmmmm, we’re not exactly prolific as far as goals go. We’re getting results yes but still missing a real danger man up front & Cosgrove does actually put in great work (on form) & cause defenders all sorts of problems, not least with his strength & height 

• Upvote 1

Hmmmm, we’re not exactly prolific as far as goals go. We’re getting results yes but still missing a real danger man up front & Cosgrove does actually put in great work (on form) & cause defenders all sorts of problems, not least with his strength & height 

As V says its good to have options. 

I'm just not keen to go back to the lump it up to big Cosgrove stuff again as the primary tactic. 

• Downvote 2

I think with the form of Hedges/Wright right now & added boost of McCrorie plus (never to be discounted) threat of Hayes. Ferguson also. Gives us a lot of threat & shit for opposition to worry about. Throw in Cosgrove into this current mix & I think we can give sides even more headaches. 

Harsh on Cosgrove to say he ‘possibly’ would suit this new style/formation when he’s never had chance to put to test.

End of day he’s a 20+ striker & can add plenty to this side also

• Upvote 2