5 hours ago, DelMonte said:

A few years ago there was an on going debate on here about Rooney and how he scored a lot but a few of us argued the team was better without him. Similar topic going to emerge with Watkins. 

If the team is winning every week, not many will care who’s at centre forward.

I’d just like Watkins to get some goals as a reward for his team play.

Works his backside off harassing defenders & his hold up play brings the likes of Wright, Hedges & others in to play. 

• Upvote 1

Have to say when Joe played that risky pass to centre mid I realised how much has changed. For me a big factor in our ugly football in recent years has been Lewis refusing to play it short or smashing it long. 

That said when you see other keepers, like vikings, you also realise how fortunate we are to have such a solid keeper.

Fuck knows where viking found that boy. 

3 minutes ago, RUL said:

Have to say when Joe played that risky pass to centre mid I realised how much has changed. For me a big factor in our ugly football in recent years has been Lewis refusing to play it short or smashing it long. 

That said when you see other keepers, like vikings, you also realise how fortunate we are to have such a solid keeper.

Fuck knows where viking found that boy. 

Yeah I recall Joe getting a assist some time back and regularly passing to players , I reckon D.M told him to stop that pish and start punting it up field

On Watkins needing a goal I disagree, what he offers is so much more than just getting goals, due to him being more of a natural winger than a striker he seems to have adapted his game as the lone striker really well.  His movement is pivotal to how we now set up and play, he can hold the ball up which brings the midfielders in to the equation, making us way more of a threat, when that's not needed his movement helps drag defenders out in to positions they don't want to be in, again that allows the attacking players in midfield to get involved.

Overall the change in this team is frightening but really encouraging and I just hope it continues because things are starting to look a little more exciting. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, minijc said:

On Watkins needing a goal I disagree, what he offers is so much more than just getting goals, due to him being more of a natural winger than a striker he seems to have adapted his game as the lone striker really well.  His movement is pivotal to how we now set up and play, he can hold the ball up which brings the midfielders in to the equation, making us way more of a threat, when that's not needed his movement helps drag defenders out in to positions they don't want to be in, again that allows the attacking players in midfield to get involved.

Overall the change in this team is frightening but really encouraging and I just hope it continues because things are starting to look a little more exciting. 

Totally agree. He could score 0 goals until Cosgrove is fit again and I'd play him ahead of Sam every time. Holds the ball up well, links the play well and as you say, is a huge reason why guys like Hedges and Wright have managed to have an influence on games. 

Hopefully keep him for another 6 month. 

Just now, Reed or deed said:

Cosgrove may well come back in and his goals on top of what the team is doing would be very welcome.

Every team benefits from a prolific striker and Cosgroves hold up play isn’t too bad. His link up play can also be decent.

I don't think we can play like we are just now if we start him, with him he's a target man and McInnes is a long ball merchant at heart.

5 hours ago, maryhilldon said:

Watkins is a great team player,  works his socks off.  I wouldn't drop him for Cosgrove. 

Prior to last night  I wouldnt have, but his decision making was terrible  in key areas of attack. 

Game could have been killed off earlier. At the end of the day football is about scoring goals, and it doesn't matter how well you otherwise play if you always end up killing the attack at the crucial point. 

Hopefully just an off night. 

7 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Prior to last night  I wouldnt have, but his decision making was terrible  in key areas of attack. 

Game could have been killed off earlier. At the end of the day football is about scoring goals, and it doesn't matter how well you otherwise play if you always end up killing the attack at the crucial point. 

Hopefully just an off night. 

Decision making was poor. Messed up the through ball from Hoban, and failed to play in to an unmarked Hayes on the left  Both should have resulted in a goal. 

15 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

I suspect it'll be one of Hedges or Wright who drops out to accommodate either Edmondson or Cosgrove once fit.

If that is the case then theres a tough decision for the manager given how they are playing.

Cosgrove up top and Watkins taking Wright role...

4 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Wright was very influential. Not least for first goal. Hope he gets his 1on1’s v keeper confidence sooner than later as he’s blown a few now. He adds that to his current form & there will be clubs sniffing about wanting to take a gamble on him.

note. I’m not accusing him of smoking keepers cocks

I think Wright is playing well and he adds something different to our game. He's probably influencing the change in style as well as he's always looking for the ball to feet and playing it quick.

He really has to start taking these chances though as against top opposition it'll hurt us.