Sign in to follow this  
Grays Babylon 1875

Jim Leighton

Scottish footie legend talks about having prostate cancer.

Loved him at Hibs.  One of my favourites growing up. 

Vaseline those eyebrows up and hit the park.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/2482078/gothenburg-great-jim-leighton-talks-about-his-cancer-battle-and-why-men-need-to-wise-up/

Edited by Grays Babylon 1875

All us older generation were lucky to witness him playing for us in the good years. Brilliant goalkeeper. Get well soon Jim.

I’ve said this before on here.  On the VERY rare occasion a striker broke through Miller and Mcleish you genuinely thought ok Jim over to you now and still considered your chances better than 50/50.

Easily the bravest keeper I ever saw.

5 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I’ve said this before on here.  On the VERY rare occasion a striker broke through Miller and Mcleish you genuinely thought ok Jim over to you now and still considered your chances better than 50/50.

Easily the bravest keeper I ever saw.

Second most capped Scotland player ever.

He was our goalkeeper for all 3 games at our last tournament in France 1998.

I remember swelling up with pride seeing the camera pan along at him for that great first game against Brazil - like, THIS FUCKING GUY, hero.

Look how brave and unlucky he is here for Brazils winner.  Just fucking stands there, solid - You shall not pass.....

2 minutes ago, Grays Babylon 1875 said:

Second most capped Scotland player ever.

He was our goalkeeper for all 3 games at our last tournament in France 1998.

I remember swelling up with pride seeing the camera pan along at him for that great first game against Brazil - like, THIS FUCKING GUY, hero.

Look how brave and unlucky he is here for Brazils winner.  Just fucking stands there, solid - You shall not pass.....

Would have had many more caps if it wasn't for the English Hun

11 minutes ago, Sheepo said:

Would have had many more caps if it wasn't for the English Hun

Goram was decent tbf. 

Leighton had a couple of high profile fuck ups but still the best keeper in Jocko history. 

Hope he gets well and finds something that makes him happy. Miserable looking sod. 

Just now, Fridge said:

Yeah get well soon Jim. Stayed in a flat next to me for a while. 

Makes you think why he never mentioned it in his autobiography. 

Doesnt get the credit he deserves from a lot of folk. In his prime he was exceptional for club and country, at the very highest level. 

Agile, smart, and brave as a lion. (Not including the infamous contact lenses disaster at man utd)

The golden triangle, him/miller/mcleish for AFC and Scotland - unstoppable. 

Edit: It has to be said also, He was cool as a cucumber in massive games which as we know is a massive attribute for a keeper. 

A rolls royce goalkeeper.

Edited by Simply Red

1 hour ago, Simply Red said:

Doesnt get the credit he deserves from a lot of folk. In his prime he was exceptional for club and country, at the very highest level. 

Agile, smart, and brave as a lion. (Not including the infamous contact lenses disaster at man utd)

The golden triangle, him/miller/mcleish for AFC and Scotland - unstoppable. 

Edit: It has to be said also, He was cool as a cucumber in massive games which as we know is a massive attribute for a keeper. 

A rolls royce goalkeeper.

Nice one fatty. 

Without doubt the best goalkeeper Scotland ever had, he took over from a joke figure Alan Rough , who was allowed to amass an extraordinary amount of caps for the poor keeper he was. 

I recall some epic Leighton displays  for Scotland. 

Home to France on a wet night in italia 90 qualifying, we won 2-0.

The play off game for Mexico 86 in Australia. 

The west Germany group game in 86.

And no doubt many I forget. 

He was as brave a keeper as I've ever seen, and he was one of the old guard, old fashioned goalkeepers who used to do something that will be alien to you younger cunts. 

HE WOULD CATCH THE BALL,  be it a shot,  or cross there would be no flapping, slapping, punching, parrying, beating, fisting, palming, or any other fucking shite that keepers nowadays see fit to class as a save, 

Old fashioned catching of the ball, and immediately taking pressure off the defence. 

He maybe blotted his copy book by backing Clangers as a coach. 

Best goalkeeper AFC ever had. Between him and Goram for best Scotland ever had. One game at Pittodrie in Leighton's second spell finished 1-1 v. the club that went bust and 6-6 would've been a fairer scoreline but for the two greatest gk performances in the same game I've ever seen and probably ever was. Gatuso came on in the second half and ran the show.

I'm reminded of the newly-deceased and how history gets airbrushed to focus only on strengths and pretending there were no weaknesses. Not dead obviously in this case but it happens to the ill too. So I guess we shouldn't mention his monumental fuck ups which were very few and far between but were sufficient for the best ever manager in football history to get rid (having wanted him in the first place) and also cost Scotland the chance of getting out the World Cup group stages for the first time in football history.

Nice guy. Nice wife. One landlord wouldn't agree. 

If you asked at Old Trafford who was their best keeper ever, the old and sentimental might say Stepney but there is no question that is was Peter Schmeichel, the best ever of all time by some margin in my book.

If you asked them to compare De Gea v. Leighton they would say the former but I disagree. Never seen De Gea in the flesh personally but having seen the vast majority of Leighton's games at Pittodrie plus scores of away games, I would always pick Jim. They share the same weakness but the Spaniard's shows itself more often. They never saw the best of Leighton down there. He was a fish out of water, stretched beyond his comfort zone.