Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Coronavirus (Football Thread)

Adam Miller is that "Old Firm Facts" guy who does spoof articles for Glasgow Live and the Daily Record etc, his angle being making tenuous Rangers/Celtic links to big news stories - he recently did a "man who nearly bought Rangers tests positive for COVID" article about Donald Trump that had Celtic fans howling at the moon for days. He also did one recently about a Steve Clarke Scotland squad which linked each and every player to either Rangers or Celtic.

12 hours ago, starryfish said:

If we don’t get fans into Pittodrie before the seasons end will we have a club left? Commercial income must have fallen off a cliff. Extremely concerning times.

Didn't Cormack say that the sale of McKenna has reduced the potential losses for this season to somewhere around the £2million mark? Not ideal but we existed with far higher debt than  that for years.

2 minutes ago, Bamber said:

Calculations were based on starting to get fans in for the 19/20 semi finals at the end of this month rather than the 20/21 semi finals in April next year 

Punt Cosgrove for £2-3 million and add ons and we're fine.

His goal scoring record is fantastic but the football has been better to watch with him out of the team.

They mentioned a £10m shortfall ages ago and they seemed to have reduced that right down, and the McKenna sale has certainly helped that too. However, the 10m thing was back when they were still expecting fans back partially this year and full crowds at the start of 2021. It's been obvious for a while that that won't happen. Think every club is probably planning for no fans this season. Hopefully that's not going to be the case but would seem prudent to plan for it to be the case. 

However, we've been quite busy over the summer and even made a few signings (and a contract extension given to Hoban) just this month so persumably the financial situation isn't dire. I worry for Scottish football as a whole though. Who knows? I'm making a huge assumption on very limited information there. 

49 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I'm surprised by the lack of doomsday chat.

I can't see crowds of 5000 at pittodrie until March and thats being very optimistic.

I'd remain hopeful pay at the gate will return in August but you dont know anything with the ridiculous over reaction to this bloody virus.

Fixed it for you

There'll be no football clubs left if Sturgeon gets her way.  No football, no music, no alcohol, no enjoying yourself unless its watching her daily TV show.

If you did follow the rules to the letter , it would be akin to living in a closed Islamic state , luckily not a lot of people are and we are getting some freedoms. Come the week before Christmas people will revolt and gradually we will return to living like before except for pubs and football  who are fucked basically with this government.

35 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Getting daft now. 

Just let folk back in.  I'll never moan about a 0-0 shitfest ever again. We're all missing the whole real match day experience. 

Leitch will kibosh it forever nae doot

There's absolutely no sane reason we can't have limited crowds at Pittodrie.  

All very well us having limited crowds at Pittodrie but no great new income coming from that, sooner we get commercial match day activities up and running again the better. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more match day content that may have delivered some more digital match day income, other than the half time raffle and the programme as well as PPV.

The virus is here to stay. I don't think the penny will drop until a few weeks in to 2021.

Any idea to eradicate the virus requires full lockdown and borders closed and to remain closed. if they've no intention to do that then it's just going to by lockdown cycles for 2 years or so.

10 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

The virus is here to stay. I don't think the penny will drop until a few weeks in to 2021.

Any idea to eradicate the virus requires full lockdown and borders closed and to remain closed. if they've no intention to do that then it's just going to by lockdown cycles for 2 years or so.

What's happening in 2 years?  An overdue outbreak of common sense?

The blanket approach to the football shutdown is stupid. I can see the argument for not wanting thousands descending on Pittodrie, Ibrox, Tannadice etc but drop down a division or two and you have clubs like Airdrie who pull in 800 fans to a 10,000 seater stadium, Arbroath with wide open expanses and the North Sea breeze to blow through the ground and clear the air.. Fort William who get 50 fans at the foot of Ben Nevis, it's utterly mental that they think 3 men and a dog going to watch Buchanhaven Hearts or Newmachar United is more of a COVID risk than getting a fucking haircut.

5 minutes ago, Yorston Vasey said:

The blanket approach to the football shutdown is stupid. I can see the argument for not wanting thousands descending on Pittodrie, Ibrox, Tannadice etc but drop down a division or two and you have clubs like Airdrie who pull in 800 fans to a 10,000 seater stadium, Arbroath with wide open expanses and the North Sea breeze to blow through the ground and clear the air.. Fort William who get 50 fans at the foot of Ben Nevis, it's utterly mental that they think 3 men and a dog going to watch Buchanhaven Hearts or Newmachar United is more of a COVID risk than getting a fucking haircut.

Cant even get a fucking haircut in Belfast at the moment....but you can attend a match if you want. They've had games with limited no. of fans since summer.

42 minutes ago, alscotoz said:

Maybe the government's there aren't as inept?

That's the thing.

Covid-19 is being treated different in every country.

Why ?

All countries should take the same approach then maybe it would make more sense.

Experts are now saying that the second wave is spreading faster than the first one.

Just now, Lencarl said:

That's the thing.

Covid-19 is being treated different in every country.

Why ?

All countries should take the same approach then maybe it would make more sense.

Experts are now saying that the second wave is spreading faster than the first one.

As there isn't a proven method. It's still a guessing game. That and which ever party is in charge will have their own motivations. 

Letting fans into the games in the bottom two divisions in Scotland would be a good start, perfect test case environment and a shot in the arm for these clubs with small followings of a couple of hundred people. 

Arranging 200 people around a football pitch is a fucking doddle. And doesn't cause any additional 'pressure' on public transport, pubs or any other pish they want to use as an excuse.