Dundee United 0 - 0 Aberdeem

7 hours ago, perthshirered said:

So if it wasn't for Lewis it could've been a disgraceful result you say, surely then if it wasn't for their keeper United would've been on the end of a tanking.

No idea other than hope? The set up was spot on, if cunts lack the composure to stroke home one of the few sitters we had then there isn't much McInnes can do about that. We essentially controlled the game from start to finish, how you are able to equate that into Mellon schooling McInnes is beyond me, unless you think relying on sheer luck is a tactic. I don't. 

Mellon easily kept Mcinnes’s side out with a lesser class of player. His tactics were to park bus & try & sneak a winner which very nearly worked but for Lewis in one v one.

tactically Mellons worked better than Mcinnes’s. That is simple conclusion to come to, especially as Utd were more than happy to take a point.

Mcinnes’s subs were also shite.

He was bettered on day by a lesser quality & valued side because one managers tactics worked better than the others.

You can try all you might to say different but you’d be desperately clutching at the need to back Mcinnes regardless 

don’t think I said he schooled him but you can exaggerate if you like to try & better your POV  He bettered him tho. Like it or not. He played his game & it worked & almost even snatched a win

In fact I only said that tactically Mellon’s faired better than Mcinnes’s.

I know it butt hurts but it’s true

• Downvote 2

Mellon bettered him? It finished 0-0 mate, that's a point each. 

They kept McInnes side out easily? If this was the case then we wouldn't have been in the position to spurn a series of regulation chances, that's the sole reason United got something, absolutely nothing to do with Mellon. Ever considered the possibility that United were forced back due to the pressing put onto them by a fairly aggressive and attacking set up? They got lucky, very lucky and it's as simple as that. 

38 minutes ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Mellon easily kept Mcinnes’s side out with a lesser class of player. His tactics were to park bus & try & sneak a winner which very nearly worked but for Lewis in one v one.

tactically Mellons worked better than Mcinnes’s. That is simple conclusion to come to, especially as Utd were more than happy to take a point.

Mcinnes’s subs were also shite.

He was bettered on day by a lesser quality & valued side because one managers tactics worked better than the others.

You can try all you might to say different but you’d be desperately clutching at the need to back Mcinnes regardless 

don’t think I said he schooled him but you can exaggerate if you like to try & better your POV  He bettered him tho. Like it or not. He played his game & it worked & almost even snatched a win

In fact I only said that tactically Mellon’s faired better than Mcinnes’s.

I know it butt hurts but it’s true

I’m not the biggest McInnes fan, but I think that’s a load of nonsense.

He can’t legislate for shite finishing or a blatant penalty not being given.

3-0 us would’ve been about right on the run of play & have meant your post was not needed. 

3 hours ago, daytripping said:

Wright in his head believes he's made it, doesn't think he has to try now, he's a player but needs brought down to earth. He's his own worst enemy, doesn't buck up will be a jobber in the championship and skint at 30.

In fairness he kind of has made it.  He doesn’t appear to have  any fear of what happens when he’s ineffective though.  A fine line I know.  

47 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Mellon getting the better of McInnes yesterday is a bit of a stretch. 

I think a big stretch, Mellon played on the break and defended deep, McIness should have thrown on Edmonson, we needed a proper centre forward on the park to get in the box, will be glad to see big Sam back as long as long as we do not go direct all the time. We are playing better football this season however need to start scoring more goals playing a centre forward would help.

Just watched the game, not read a lot of coments but I thought we played well, we have played a lot worse than that and won this year. 

Their keeper kept them in it and it was a pen for me. 

if wright could score he would go far but he’s missing to many one on ones for it to be good goal keeping every time 

6 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I’m not the biggest McInnes fan, but I think that’s a load of nonsense.

He can’t legislate for shite finishing or a blatant penalty not being given.

3-0 us would’ve been about right on the run of play & have meant your post was not needed. 

Folk may not like it but it is the case. Mellon was happier manager after game so he had better day. Rest is just semantics.

only one manager will have come away from the game wondering what he could/should have done differently.

McInnes for sure must question the changes he made.

That simple

Leaving Watkins in after HT his biggest blunder. He maybe had half a dozen touches of the ball. He was nonexistent for pretty much whole first half & shouldn’t have come on second half. 

1 hour ago, fine-n-dandy said:

Folk may not like it but it is the case. Mellon was happier manager after game so he had better day. Rest is just semantics.

only one manager will have come away from the game wondering what he could/should have done differently.

McInnes for sure must question the changes he made.

That simple

Leaving Watkins in after HT his biggest blunder. He maybe had half a dozen touches of the ball. He was nonexistent for pretty much whole first half & shouldn’t have come on second half. 

Mellon will not have been happy about the way United played.  They were awful.  The worst team I've seen this season.  On another day, we'd have taken 5 or 6 off them.

3 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Mellon will not have been happy about the way United played.  They were awful.  The worst team I've seen this season.  On another day, we'd have taken 5 or 6 off them.

They played the way he set them out to play. He knew we were by far the better side & told them to park bus, if he hadn’t he would have changed things up. 

he was happy with result, especially with how game played out. He wanted a smash n grab later in second half but not at cost of too many players risked forward.

He also knew that for all our ‘attacking flare’ we are still pretty toothless.

It was the biggest stonewall penalty that we'll see in this run of games in October. That's the main talking point. It's after 29 minutes. It has a bigger bearing on the result than anything else. 

Ten times more shocking than anything between Pickford and Lyndon Dykes this weekend.

1 hour ago, Tord31 said:

It was the biggest stonewall penalty that we'll see in this run of games in October. That's the main talking point. It's after 29 minutes. It has a bigger bearing on the result than anything else. 

Ten times more shocking than anything between Pickford and Lyndon Dykes this weekend.

What was the dykes incident?

Pickfords was a shocker. Deserved a kick in the face imo.

5 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Disappointing result at the weekend. These are the games the mid /early McInnes sides would have put away to keep us in the title race till at least March / April anyway. 

Scott Wright needs to stop taking shots straight at goalkeepers

If we have ambitions to keep up with the top two we needed to win.

we never want to accept defeat but if we'd beaten United, Hamilton and Hibs we could have 'afforded' to lose to Celtic and still be really in amongst it.

I think Celtic will lose to Milan on Thursday so it will be an interesting game with them coming off the back off two comfortable defeats.

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

If we have ambitions to keep up with the top two we needed to win.

we never want to accept defeat but if we'd beaten United, Hamilton and Hibs we could have 'afforded' to lose to Celtic and still be really in amongst it.

I think Celtic will lose to Milan on Thursday so it will be an interesting game with them coming off the back off two comfortable defeats.

Ideal opportunity to get in among Celtic on Sunday and try to take the game to them.... but we've seen this too many times. Can guarantee we will sit back, try to contain them and get fucking beat without laying a glove. 

1 minute ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Ideal opportunity to get in among Celtic on Sunday and try to take the game to them.... but we've seen this too many times. Can guarantee we will sit back, try to contain them and get fucking beat without laying a glove. 

I can see an arguement to play for a 0-0 at the start of the game.

You'd expect Celtic to get leave lots of spaces at the back.

Playing Celtic twice in a week is a strange situation so I want to see us play the games completely differently. I'll be very disappointed if we employ the 9 man markers thing in both games.

I'm happy with the long ball game in one of them - I think it has a place.

12 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Agree on all points but would you agree that his first one-on-one was a shocking pass by Hedges, and if it hadn't been put too far in front it would've been his best chance yet, the one at the RDS being his worst miss to date?

He still managed to get there first and it was a good save, as was his second, also on target. 

First one I agree but second was a pathetic attempt. Weak effort at a perfect height. 

8 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I can see an arguement to play for a 0-0 at the start of the game.

You'd expect Celtic to get leave lots of spaces at the back.

Playing Celtic twice in a week is a strange situation so I want to see us play the games completely differently. I'll be very disappointed if we employ the 9 man markers thing in both games.

I'm happy with the long ball game in one of them - I think it has a place.

If we had a choice of winning one of the two games against Celtic what would it be ?

Would imagine  the Cup match.

Let's go for two out of two.

• Downvote 1
Just now, Lencarl said:

If we had a choice of winning one of the two games against Celtic what would it be ?

Would imagine  the Cup match.

Let's go for two out of two.

Cup match has to be the bigger game.

It's a huge chance for a trophy and straight away defaulting to a very successful season. I'd even say its likely to be lower league opposition in the final.

I want to see us get a result this weekend though. When is the last time we took something off Celtic?

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

They've got Milan a couple of days before the first game then away to Lille a couple of days before the Cup game. 

There's absolutely no excuse for us not getting in about them.  Sitting back in either game would be a disgraceful approach under the circumstances. 

and importantly they cant afford to rotate the squad at any point in this run of games. They are on the ropes

Their new Irish defender can't defend (but we need to watch him at set pieces in our own box). Their Greek keeper looks dodgy af. 

Sadly sevco got the benefit of them having so many players out self-isolating due to covid rules. The good news is that the Honey Monster is out long term...other sides seem to cope with him pretty comfortably but we always seem to struggle with his fairly moderate talents.

I'd trade a loss in the league on Sunday for a win at Hampden the following week happily.

53 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Their new Irish defender can't defend (but we need to watch him at set pieces in our own box). Their Greek keeper looks dodgy af. 

Sadly sevco got the benefit of them having so many players out self-isolating due to covid rules. The good news is that the Honey Monster is out long term...other sides seem to cope with him pretty comfortably but we always seem to struggle with his fairly moderate talents.

I'd trade a loss in the league on Sunday for a win at Hampden the following week happily.

Am I being daft who is the honey monster?

31 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

James Forrest. No neck....and watch the way he walks. Then compare to the Honey Monster from the Sugar Puffs ads. 

Another pair who have never been seen in the same room together....

Haha. I was forgetting they had anyone out injured. With their current 3-5-2 formation I'd fear Pingpong just as much as Forrest.