Dundee United 0 - 0 Aberdeem

Unbelievable that we had to rely on Lewis to rescue us from losing the game. Afraid I've seen enough of Wright now. Dreadful miss and with a chance before that he might also have buried. McLennan did some good things but still has an annoying habit of falling over his own feet. Ferguson's passing often massively overhit and Hayes' final ball was woeful all day. 

United are piss poor. That's 2 points dropped, only consolation today is that Hibs also drew so no ground lost on them.

• Downvote 1

I thought Hayes was absolutely dreadful. Watkins was very quiet. A very typical Scott Wright performance and miss.

McGinn made a difference and should have come on much earlier. Hedges was ok.

McLennan was excellent in the first half.

Taylor and Hoban were very good. McCrorie did well as did Ferguson (his decision making could have been better). 

Shankland is massively overhyped. He's not good enough for us. He's currently getting found out in this league. And Dundee Utd want 3 million for him.

Thats the worst side we've played this season. They are the standard of a Championship side.

Thankfully Hibs dropped points in Dingwall.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
1 minute ago, KingswellsRed said:

We play right into the hands of teams like that. Slow the game down, allow them to get set up at every throw or goal kick and then end up passing it between centre backs before a long punt or flat cross from Hayes. 

Not to mention playing with no striker.

Of course McInnes waits until 60 minutes to bring on the striker, which happens to be the exact moment that united change their shape to deal with us. 

The 60 minute window of opportunity was gone.  Too fucking late. 

Start the game with a striker. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The criticism of the performance is a bit OTT.

If we’d come off 3-0 up at half time not even the most biased Dundee Utd fan would’ve complained. Game over.

Poor finishing & an incredible refereeing decision cost us first half.

The second half performance was poor though & deserves criticism. 
Dundee Utd are a poor lot & will be bottom 3-4. 

Agree. Incredibly frustrating but not worth as much anger. Played better in this match than against St.Mirren. I would like to see Edmonson start up top at some point. Accies on Wednesday be a good place to start.

Just now, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

Agree. Incredibly frustrating but not worth as much anger. Played better in this match than against St.Mirren. I would like to see Edmonson start up top at some point. Accies on Wednesday be a good place to start.

We’ll never know how good Edmondson is until he gets a fair crack at it.

I agree, I’d start him at home to Hamilton.

39 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye rest Wright and play Edmondson up front next game.  Let's see what the boy has got. 

I'd start Watkins against Hamilton. He's been very good this season. Cosgrove would have been ideal for todays match.

I'd drop Wright and start McGinn alongside Hedges in the attacking mid role.

We miss Kennedy. It would have been great if we were able to play Kennedy from the start and then bring McLennan on for the final 20-30 mins.

On a side note, the Dundee Utd defender Connolly is arguably the worst Centre back I've seen in the SPL.

1 hour ago, perthshirered said:

Settle down. 

End of the day Mellons tactics worked & Mcinnes had no answer to them. 
If not for Lewis that could have been an utter disgrace of a result.

Watkins should never have seen the second half. 

Took off two of our more creative players in Wright & McLennan. Both of which were pretty decent other than Wrights shite it on goal yet again. 
Edmundson on for a totally non existent Watkins was first sub that should have been made for second half. Then if that failed to make breakthrough then maybe consider the other changes. 

That was brutal stuff. We could have played all day & not scored. 

penalty would have transformed game & Utd would have had to come out but we had nothing to scare them whilst they protected the clean sheet. 
Mcinnes had no idea other than wishful thinking/hope that something would happen & he had no idea how to best manufacture any change.

Mellon played for draw & hope for smash n grab win tactically & his tactics faired better than Mcinnes’s did.

For all our decent play we are fkn dire in front of goal.

how many games is that now that had it not been for penalties we’d be left scratching our heads? 
Only a penalty would have changed things again today.

We desperately need Cosgrove back as for all credit Watkins gets (like some did for Goodwillie, May etc.) what fkn good is it really without any end product?

Any lesser team can follow Utd’s bus parking tactics there & we’re shown up for the huff n puff we are without a finisher.

Just now, fine-n-dandy said:

For all our decent play we are fkn dire in front of goal.

how many games is that now that had it not been for penalties we’d be left scratching our heads? 
Only a penalty would have changed things again today.

We desperately need Cosgrove back as for all credit Watkins gets (like some did for Goodwillie, May etc.) what fkn good is it really without any end product?

Any lesser team can follow Utd’s bus parking tactics there & we’re shown up for the huff n puff we are without a finisher.

We drew a game we should have won.  

Disappointing but not the end of the world. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

As an isolated game it isn’t & Hibs drawing eases the frustrations (just a bit) but the lack of a finisher & reliance on penalties to get results isn’t an isolated thing.

Hibs, St Johnstone & even a couple in the ‘emphatic’ 3-0 to County. May be others but I can’t remember.

we really are pish in the box for all the positivity surrounding us of late.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

We are having a tremendous season for third.

However it would be nice to cling on to hopes of being 1st or 2nd as long as possible. Frustrating because if the referee does job its back up the road with a win by 2 or 3 goals

Half time was when Wright should have been hooked for  Edmondson. The longer the game went on the first half misses and denial of a clear pen was going to hurt. We let Utd into the game and Lewis saves the day but we should have had it won at half time.

The sooner Cosgrove is back the better as long as we keep the same style of play as it’s only the absence of a goal scorer that’s holding us back.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

We are having a tremendous season for third.

However it would be nice to cling on to hopes of being 1st or 2nd as long as possible. Frustrating because if the referee does job its back up the road with a win by 2 or 3 goals

We can only assume the referee couldn’t or didn’t see the handball.

If he did see it & decided it wasn’t a penalty, he should be retired.