Dundee United 0 - 0 Aberdeem

29 minutes ago, shooftahmooftah said:

You couldn’t make this shit up, how many times have Aberdeen come back from a break and failed to deliver.   Sign a striker. Or a manager who can run the show.   0-0 against a shit team,  hamilton at home anther .shit show then Celtic. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At home .  

It is true that we seem to be slow starters after a break. 

4 minutes ago, V for Vendetta said:

Wright is player of the match on the BBC ratings?!

He was our biggest threat, and a lot of the best work came through him, especially in the first half. Just a shame his finishing lets him down so often. I would persist with him, as I think he could come good. I think we'll see against accies on Tuesday how good we really are. Playing a stuffy United team who had no interest in winning the game, as well as the fact the players are just back from the international break possibly contributed to the lack of cohesion in the final third at crucial moments. I expect us to get better with an extended run of games again.

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

SAF had given numerous 18 year olds more starts than McInnes has given Wright aged 23. That is how badly developed he's been but it appears he might not be good enough anyway. Very poor management, added to a tome of a list of shit management. 

He does have a horrendous track record of putting faith in youth (lol) but then again if the quality isn't there consistently he's probably right. 

paton, smith, pawlett (maybe harsh), Wright, Anderson

all young slight attacking players who have never achieved beyond some starts for the dons.

9 minutes ago, Poodler said:

He's 23

how much longer do we wait? 

We’ll find out soon enough.

His contract is up in the summer & he can sign for someone else in less than 3 months if we don’t offer him a new contract.

I can’t make my mind up on him.

He has talent, but do we trust him week in, week out? He’s getting the longest run in the team he’s ever had, & I’m still not sure.

Misses too many chances I think. 

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

Half time was when Wright should have been hooked for  Edmondson. The longer the game went on the first half misses and denial of a clear pen was going to hurt. We let Utd into the game and Lewis saves the day but we should have had it won at half time.

The sooner Cosgrove is back the better as long as we keep the same style of play as it’s only the absence of a goal scorer that’s holding us back.

Disagree. The half time sub should have been Watkins for Edmondson. Watkins was completely ineffective the whole game. At least Wright had been involved in some ways. Watkins was a completely wasted shirt today. Yes he should have started & hindsight is a wonderful thing but it was blatantly clear Watkins should have been first subbed off on first half Gary McDonald levels of invisibility 

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

He was our biggest threat, and a lot of the best work came through him, especially in the first half. Just a shame his finishing lets him down so often. I would persist with him, as I think he could come good. I think we'll see against accies on Tuesday how good we really are. Playing a stuffy United team who had no interest in winning the game, as well as the fact the players are just back from the international break possibly contributed to the lack of cohesion in the final third at crucial moments. I expect us to get better with an extended run of games again.

Cheers Consi.

I didn't watch any of it so can't comment but saw a few on here slating Wright then saw the mom award.

17 minutes ago, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

I have never ever rated Wright.

No breakthrew or impact at the club whatsoever 

Seen enough let's just try and punt him at the next transfer  window

Not sure anyone would would take him and there  is the problem 

He's got good technique but he doesn't push himself enough.  It's all a bit lackadaisical most of the time. 

1 hour ago, King Street Loon said:

Was a stonewall from what I saw on Sportscene, but Pawlett was obstructing the refs line of sight on Slabheid.

Aye, I saw that later.

I’ll give the ref the benefit of the doubt.

We were just very unlucky the referee was blocked at that split second.

We had enough chances to not need to be worrying about it & only be discussing whether it meant we win by 3 or 4 goals. 

I cant believe how hot and cold people on here blow with regards to Wright. He played well enough today against a stuffy packed defence. Certainly contributed more to the game than most. Linked up well with little give and goes. If Hedges return ball to him had slightly less pace on it he was scoring that chance early on in the first half. He passed up one he should have scored but at least made the keeper save. If anything he needs to be a bit more selfish and look to take players and shots on.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, super_al said:

I thought Taylor had a great game. I am sure I witnessed him making some excellent cross field passes and through balls. 

He sometimes stands out against utter shite sides did he have any other positives/negatives  from a defensive POV or basically fk all from Utd to make any assessment of this?

Things are pretty dire when we are clutching at trying to heap praise on Taylor against that shite for a couple of semi decent balls forward.

Guess this is one of those games that he gets credit for as a counter argument for when he has one of his more Taylor games where he has to defend & fks up.

Great game? Gold star for being present award maybe. Stick the match report on his fridge 

Hopefully that clicks soon enough, the boys young and has plenty of potential he just needs a run of games without the start stop international breaks and confidence which a think hedges will help bring that out on him. Also thought hedges was magnificent yesterday showing heart and bottle to drive at the defence to try and unlock them, really pleased with his desire and energy and running off the ball was excellent. We should have won but one of those days you don’t get the break off the ball or penalty decisions, play like that all season we will be fine

48 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Hopefully that clicks soon enough, the boys young and has plenty of potential he just needs a run of games without the start stop international breaks and confidence which a think hedges will help bring that out on him. Also thought hedges was magnificent yesterday showing heart and bottle to drive at the defence to try and unlock them, really pleased with his desire and energy and running off the ball was excellent. We should have won but one of those days you don’t get the break off the ball or penalty decisions, play like that all season we will be fine

Whats the benchmark for we will be fine? Is that challenging, comfortable in third or what?

14 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

only consolation today is that Hibs also drew so no ground lost on them.

14 hours ago, Kincardine_Mearns_Red said:

Two points dropped. Anyway at least Hibs didnt profit from our wastefulness.

14 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

Thankfully Hibs dropped points in Dingwall.

Personally would prefer if we had ambitions beyond "keeping up with Hibs". Gads.

I'd expect us to gradually move clear of them over the course of the next few months.

That's if we can find our shooting boots to compliment what has been generally accepted as decent build up play.

Chance / open goal / sitter ? missed to put pressure on the Tims prior to their visit to Pittodrie.
Barely surprising though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Whats the benchmark for we will be fine? Is that challenging, comfortable in third or what?

Huns and cellick are not great shakes this year and when we have a full squad I would expect to be challenging. Worst case scenario is comfortable 3rd 10-15 points clear of Hibs, celtic and huns have the worst squads in years quality wise, euro groups hopefully fuck up their confidence and a few well placed Covid outbreaks when facing us can see us close the gap on our them this year as I don’t see them have the squads to compete at all levels without dropping points this year

it wasn’t a surprise that it was a defender double that won the points for Der hun as Morelos is finished and Celtic are shite upfront without Forrest,Christie and Edouard