January 2021

Scott Wright blows far too hot and cold for me. Had plenty of chances. Get rid, along with Taylor, Leigh, main, devlin and ojo (if someone will take him off our hands - doubt it). Considine should drop to back up. Not got the legs. 

has Leigh signed a contract extension to the summer, or is he still out of contract in January?

Guest findlay_1903

Harsh on Wright to get rid now. Personally think it’s a bit wild to be brave in transfer window this January during current climate. Spending cash we don’t have to come 2nd doesn’t seem a clever idea. I know we get champions league, but it’ll be 2 games. Is that worth the gamble? No fans, no income. Nothing. Rather sell Ferguson, cosgrove and save the future of our club for our grand kids! 
 Even if we were brave, high chance Celtic would be closer to rangers than Aberdeen, they am enormous squad littered with better players than Aberdeen. 

7 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Scott Wright blows far too hot and cold for me. Had plenty of chances. Get rid, along with Taylor, Leigh, main, devlin and ojo (if someone will take him off our hands - doubt it). Considine should drop to back up. Not got the legs. 

has Leigh signed a contract extension to the summer, or is he still out of contract in January?

If you had asked me in the summer I'd have said that Wright was finished with us and it was for the best all round if he went on loan for the season to put himself in the shop window fpr next summer. So I was astonished that he was in the side from the start of the season (although with both Main and Cosgrove crocked in pre-season....it was probably more a forced decision). But him, Hedges and Watkins just seem to work together. He still has the odd game where he is totally ineffective but if our plan is to bring in Watkins permanently, I think we have to give Wright an extension alongside.

As for Leigh....there seems to be a load of hate for him on here that I just don't get. He's not a world-beater but he's a handy player to have (and now a full international for Jamaica) and will make a decent contribution.... I think all the "punt Leigh" brigade are going to be disappointed when he signs permanently in January

3 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

If you had asked me in the summer I'd have said that Wright was finished with us and it was for the best all round if he went on loan for the season to put himself in the shop window fpr next summer. So I was astonished that he was in the side from the start of the season (although with both Main and Cosgrove crocked in pre-season....it was probably more a forced decision). But him, Hedges and Watkins just seem to work together. He still has the odd game where he is totally ineffective but if our plan is to bring in Watkins permanently, I think we have to give Wright an extension alongside.

As for Leigh....there seems to be a load of hate for him on here that I just don't get. He's not a world-beater but he's a handy player to have (and now a full international for Jamaica) and will make a decent contribution.... I think all the "punt Leigh" brigade are going to be disappointed when he signs permanently in January

Wright is too hot and cold and injury prone for me.

Being a Jamaican international is really a selling point for me. Leigh is limited as a player. We need better if we want to improve 

16 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Agree on Leigh , keep 

1 hour ago, Woody21 said:

Saved me a lot of typing that.

Always been a fan of Stewart. County's best player on Saturday and can only get better and more prolific. Remember Cosgrove's scoring record pre-Dons.

Would retain Taylor for now but would ensure that recruitment for defensive area in general is made. Devlin and Leigh have to go though.

Would punt Ojo and put Campbell out on loan. Midfield, in general, is fine but would attempt to secure services of Wadkins again to fill the attacking midfielder roll.

Finally we need to be brave in the January window. Tims are there for the taking this year and second place and higher up the Euro pecking order is up for grabs.

To do what?  We'll win nothing with that cart horse in the team

34 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Wright has been offered a new contract and rejected it...

40 minutes ago, findlay_1903 said:

Harsh on Wright to get rid now. Personally think it’s a bit wild to be brave in transfer window this January during current climate. Spending cash we don’t have to come 2nd doesn’t seem a clever idea. I know we get champions league, but it’ll be 2 games. Is that worth the gamble? No fans, no income. Nothing. Rather sell Ferguson, cosgrove and save the future of our club for our grand kids! 
 Even if we were brave, high chance Celtic would be closer to rangers than Aberdeen, they am enormous squad littered with better players than Aberdeen. 

If I were to take the reigns I'd be looking for a war chest to grasp that second spot.

• Upvote 1
Guest findlay_1903
7 minutes ago, Pat_Nevin said:

If I were to take the reigns I'd be looking for a war chest to grasp that second spot.

You sound like you’d cripple my club, need to rethink my devoted campaign to get you in the hot seat! 

Guest findlay_1903
16 minutes ago, Pat_Nevin said:

In all seriousness, if Mcinnes moved on, I'd only take the job if we could get the gang back together, I'd likely look at bringing back some old fans favourites and give the Aberdeen community what they want.  A four pronged attack on the title.

Why haven’t you been on MOTD? #gabbylogan

Guest findlay_1903
3 minutes ago, Pat_Nevin said:

I actually lost my favourite pen, ever since then it's not been the same.

Stinks of weak mentality. Out of interest, how would you set up against the old firm away from home? 

21 minutes ago, findlay_1903 said:

Stinks of weak mentality. Out of interest, how would you set up against the old firm away from home? 

Well for a start, I'd instil a belief that we could actually beat the cunts and not to talk up the opposing team pre match.  As for tactics I wouldn't want to disclose them on a forum.

Guest findlay_1903
2 minutes ago, Pat_Nevin said:

Well for a start, I'd instil a belief that we could actually beat the cunts and not to talk up the opposing team pre match.  As for tactics I wouldn't want to disclose them on a forum.

Professional. I like it. Will annabel be keen to move from the borders? Did she forgive you re gabby and the Xmas drinkies. 

29 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I'm in agreement that Stewart is not good enough but on a free and as a project i'll agree to it. Assumes Cosgrove and Main both leave and we also sign another striker plus Watkins (and an Edmondson/Anderson/other on the periphery ) 

He’s not scored from open play in 15 league games.

He’s also 24... hardly a youngster.

I’ve always said he’d be decent as a replacement for Main (ie back up), but not as our first choice centre forward.

But he’s ideal for McInnes... a 6’3” striker that can play wide left too. 

5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

He’s not scored from open play in 15 league games.

He’s also 24... hardly a youngster.

I’ve always said he’d be decent as a replacement for Main (ie back up), but not as our first choice centre forward.

But he’s ideal for McInnes... a 6’3” striker that can play wide left too. 

If mcinnes can’t see the improvement in our style of play with a Watkins type instead of cosgrove type I think the writing is on the wall. A style of play that actually got us points more often than not too. 

12 minutes ago, Pat_Nevin said:

Apparently you are a cousin of Terry Butcher. How did that happen and will you be bringing him in as one of your assistants?

As for tactics....I definitely think this is the place to disclose them. Slippy, Popcorn teeth et al are never off here looking for snippets of info as to our possible team selections/formations/tactics. Rather than keep them secret I think you ought to show your complete confidence in them and put them out there for the world to see. Let the opposition sweat buckets knowing what is going to happen to them. It matters not a jot. 5-0 victories are going to become the norm.

Oh...and what will your half time playlist be at your first home game in charge?

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, slippers said:

If mcinnes can’t see the improvement in our style of play with a Watkins type instead of cosgrove type I think the writing is on the wall. A style of play that actually got us points more often than not too. 

McInnes knows he’s safe and has 18 months left.

We’ll be 4th at worst & that’ll probably see us in Europe (for a QR3 exit to “insert club here”). 

That seems to be the clubs level of ambition so he’s achieving his goals, so why would he change?

Besides, he is what he is. A pragmatist, & that’s never going to change. 

34 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

McInnes knows he’s safe and has 18 months left.

We’ll be 4th at worst & that’ll probably see us in Europe (for a QR3 exit to “insert club here”). 

That seems to be the clubs level of ambition so he’s achieving his goals, so why would he change?

Besides, he is what he is. A pragmatist, & that’s never going to change. 

We need to be third so we can enjoy being knocked out of europe twice instead of once. 

2 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Twice?

Isn't the co-efficient thing kicking in the season after next? 

No its this season.

1st champs league round 3

2nd champs league round 2

Cup winner : Europa Qr3

3rd and 4th: Europa Conf Qr2

Obviously if the cup is won by top 3 then its third in Europa.

*Potential for the Scottish Europa team to be pushed to PO round which would guarantee european football until mid december

1 minute ago, Tord31 said:

No its this season.

1st champs league round 3

2nd champs league round 2

Cup winner : Europa Qr3

3rd and 4th: Europa Conf Qr2

Obviously if the cup is won by top 3 then its third in Europa.

*Potential for the Scottish Europa team to be pushed to PO round which would guarantee european football until mid december

Failure to get 3rd (for the third season in a row) & missing out on that SHOULD see him punted then.