January 2021

39 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

Right Backs

One of Chris Cadden, Stephen O'Donnell or Danny McNamara

Left Backs

Ideally Stephen Kingsley (think we've missed the boat with that one). I'm just not convinced by Greg Leigh.

Centre Backs

One of Stuart Findlay and/or Declan Gallagher.

Midfielders

Both Allan Campbell (pre-season contract) and GMS. 

Jake Doyle-Hayes (out of contract at the end of the season) and Jamie McGrath (scored twice against us in the past month/would require a fee) both look like they'd make good additions to our current squad.

Strikers

Watkins (preseason contract). It seems inevitable that Ross Stewart will be signed. We need to sign 2 strikers this window IMO.

Out:

Devlin, Logan, Hernandez, Leigh, Cosgrove, Edmundson, Main, McGinn and Ojo. Undecided about McLennan - Jake Doyle-Hayes looks more promising and is available at the end of the season.

The Canadian Dons must play a lot of Championship manager!

However, agree with the list of OUTs... if we clear these guys out, it should provide plenty of scope for the rebuild.  Not sure I want McInnes in charge for that!

I don't know how good some of the youngsters are, that've been highlighted above, but I think signing the best, young hungry Scottish players, from around the country, is a good strategy for us.  A few more McCrorie's and Ferguson's would be nice!

Stewart is a player I've kept an eye on since we were first linked.  I actually like him... goal scoring record is a concern though.  I think he's got more to his game than our current options.  Looks capable of creating chances for himself - which is a big positive in our system/style of play.

6 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

Right Backs

One of Chris Cadden, Stephen O'Donnell or Danny McNamara

Left Backs

Ideally Stephen Kingsley (think we've missed the boat with that one). I'm just not convinced by Greg Leigh.

Centre Backs

One of Stuart Findlay and/or Declan Gallagher.

Midfielders

Both Allan Campbell (pre-season contract) and GMS. 

Jake Doyle-Hayes (out of contract at the end of the season) and Jamie McGrath (scored twice against us in the past month/would require a fee) both look like they'd make good additions to our current squad.

Strikers

Watkins (preseason contract). It seems inevitable that Ross Stewart will be signed. We need to sign 2 strikers this window IMO.

Out:

Devlin, Logan, Hernandez, Leigh, Cosgrove, Edmundson, Main, McGinn and Ojo. Undecided about McLennan - Jake Doyle-Hayes looks more promising and is available at the end of the season.

I presume as his name isn't on the list that you are giving Taylor a new contract?

How do you propose we punt Ojo given that he will still have a year on his contract left in the summer?

As for Kingsley....you aren't convinced by Leigh. But you are convinced by a guy who is as slow as Considine and has the same turning circle as a cross channel ferry? Still he can take a decent free kick so perhaps that would atone for him getting ripped a new one every time he faced guys like Forrest, Kunt and Boyle?

6 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

The Canadian Dons must play a lot of Championship manager!

However, agree with the list of OUTs... if we clear these guys out, it should provide plenty of scope for the rebuild.  Not sure I want McInnes in charge for that!

I don't know how good some of the youngsters are, that've been highlighted above, but I think signing the best, young hungry Scottish players, from around the country, is a good strategy for us.  A few more McCrorie's and Ferguson's would be nice!

Stewart is a player I've kept an eye on since we were first linked.  I actually like him... goal scoring record is a concern though.  I think he's got more to his game than our current options.  Looks capable of creating chances for himself - which is a big positive in our system/style of play.

Stephen O'Donnell must be good in champ manager, as he's garbage in real life. As is Kingsley. 

Bruce Anderson is definitely going to be coming back up the road. Unfortunately it hasn't work out for him at Ayr. If he had been playing for them in previous season when they played 2 up top I think he would have thrived but has landed up there at a time when they have had to go more defensive and play one up top with Moffat as they need someone with more physicality than Bruce.

I wouldn't write him off just yet as some seem to have done. The likes of Shankland and Kevin Nisbet before them have had the same issues where things didn't work out and have come back stronger. Ended up at the wrong club, at the wrong time, playing the wrong system to suit him.  

He is however definitely not suited to playing as a single striker on his own and needs to play in a front pairing.  

I would assume that this will also mean Edmondson will probably return to Leeds...………... unless big Sam has a club come in for him in Jan and we cant get Stewart here until the summer.

1 minute ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Bruce Anderson is definitely going to be coming back up the road. Unfortunately it hasn't work out for him at Ayr. If he had been playing for them in previous season when they played 2 up top I think he would have thrived but has landed up there at a time when they have had to go more defensive and play one up top with Moffat as they need someone with more physicality than Bruce.

I wouldn't write him off just yet as some seem to have done. The likes of Shankland and Kevin Nisbet before them have had the same issues where things didn't work out and have come back stronger. Ended up at the wrong club, at the wrong time, playing the wrong system to suit him.  

He is however definitely not suited to playing as a single striker on his own and needs to play in a front pairing.  

I would assume that this will also mean Edmondson will probably return to Leeds...………... unless big Sam has a club come in for him in Jan and we cant get Stewart here until the summer.

Bruce Anderson is not good enough.

End of.

Will end up at Cove SEVCO 

1 hour ago, Millertime said:

Shankland went down a level and excelled 

Bruce the midget went down a level and was an embarrassment 

Maybe, just maybe, it vindicates mcinnes thinking he is dung

Shankland scored 0 goes in 17 games for St Mirren followed by 4 goals in 16 games for Morton in the 2016-2017 season. I don't think that is excelling. He then couldn't get a club in the championship when we released him and he had to drop down to league 1 where Ayr took a chance on him. It was only then that he got his career on track when a combination of him sorting his fitness out and where a manager found a system which really suited him.

Bruce hasn't done what was hoped of him at Ayr, of that there is no doubt but he did well when he played for Dunfermline in championship. unfortunately the wrong club was chosen for him this time.

I know when he was banging in the goals for the development team and he scored a couple for the first team, people were calling for him to be thrown in and I was in total agreement with you then when you said he wasn't at that level and I agree that McInnes was right to put him out on loan. But I do think that in the right team with the right formation he will score goals definitely at championship level.

And you are right in that his physicality is an issue and that's why he will only fit in when playing in a team which plays in a formation that will suit him.

For once this is almost the only time its more worthwhile for us to have him on the bench (for bringing on in the last five mins of the games we are losing/drawing) than trying to develop him with more minutes elsewhere.

There are 9 subs so its no hassle to not use him in the other 10 games.

He has no future at the club beyond April/May (so we can be selfish with putting points ahead of his development)

I'd back him to get us 1-2 points this season by bringing him on to look for an injury time goal.

The only time he suits playing for us is when we are piling bodies forward (like the last minute fergie winner v st mirren - he was in there sniffing the rebound and had a snap shot a minute earlier).

17 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye but even then he's only got 3 goals on about 40 appearances for us so he's not even in the super sub category 

He's more likely to score in a 3 minute appearance than a hellava lot of other players. It makes sense.

I'm happy to have him involved if we plan to go with four strikers for the second half of the season which would be the same as the first half of the season

1 minute ago, Jackp said:

I live in ayr and can confirm after hyping Bruce up to my Ayr pals and saying he’ll score for fun for them I’m left looking like a prick as one of them is well itk and says he’s getting sent back as they want to try get someone else in 

Although he did say the manager is to blame for form because of his style of play, they had hoped for the next shankland after his first game for them but since then it’s Been a shit show 

11 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

We were in for O'Donnell this time last year. He told us categorically that he and his wife had no interest in moving to Aberdeen. 

Is this true or is it one of those rumours that just floats about without any substance? 

What i was told at the time is he would consider it. Could also be absolute nonsense like