January 2021

2 minutes ago, CalgaryDon said:

Please be true. 

On the basis he’s been horse shit all year, I doubt it will be.

And he was allegedly watched against the filth at Pittodrie. That left footed attempt in the first half, when he had plenty time to control it, or get it on to his preferred right foot, was something you’d see on Sheddocksley Playing Fields from a pub team. 

3 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

On the basis he’s been horse shit all year, I doubt it will be.

And he was allegedly watched against the filth at Pittodrie. That left footed attempt in the first half, when he had plenty time to control it, or get it on to his preferred right foot, was something you’d see on Sheddocksley Playing Fields from a pub team. 

We need some good luck. Its been all downhill this past few weeks. The sale of Cosgrove and Wright could change our fortunes for the better.

4 hours ago, super_al said:

What I find surprising is that our normal so call ITK posters have been very quiet recently. Yes we have announced there will be no new signings but even on the Derek ooot posts....nothing.

Shit to read I know but I hear Aberdeen have zero money and very unlikely to sign anybody this window. Generally across all teams there'll be little movement anyway. And even sacking managers and backroom teams costs money. 

9 minutes ago, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Shit to read I know but I hear Aberdeen have zero money and very unlikely to sign anybody this window. Generally across all teams there'll be little movement anyway. And even sacking managers and backroom teams costs money. 

"i hear" translates as "read on kickback" I would guess

Actually no forget that. You read it here

12 minutes ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Sad to see how low the opinion is on Cosgrove now. Best striker we have had in a long time. Heads been turned this season and missed a lot injured but the two previous were very good imo.

I think much of the reaction is to his lack of effort at times, we all agree DMs tactics don’t help any striker but have a go, make an effort and a lot is forgiven. They have to remember how we laud them when they perform. Not big Sam, but less rhetoric in the paper and more effort on the pitch!

That’s the crux of it. We’ve seen the two sides of his game. When he gets on a roll he can be a huge asset but when his form dips the work-rate we get from him isn’t enough, hence why he’s been in and out of the team this season. It’s also possible he’s been promised a move which could explain why we’re trying to persevere with Main. I think we all felt we’d made a good investment in Cosgrove which could earn the club a decent wedge when he moved on but that seems less and less likely now.

33 minutes ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Sad to see how low the opinion is on Cosgrove now. Best striker we have had in a long time. Heads been turned this season and missed a lot injured but the two previous were very good imo.

When he's focused and confident he's an absolute handful. Similar to Edouard in that transfer speculation has made them look nothing like what they're capable of.

1 hour ago, ThomohawkKid said:

Best striker we've had in a long time?

No chance. Can't argue on his goal record once he got going, but technically and his intelligence left a lot to be desired. I never took to him when he first arrived and now that he's giving off an air of disinterest he's reverted back to the useless lump we punt balls up to.

1 hour ago, King Street Loon said:

Best striker we've had in a long time?

No chance. Can't argue on his goal record once he got going, but technically and his intelligence left a lot to be desired. I never took to him when he first arrived and now that he's giving off an air of disinterest he's reverted back to the useless lump we punt balls up to.

Other than Rooney name a better striker. Cosgrove and Rooney are not the greatest technically but scored goals. Goodwillie is probably our best technical striker from the McInnes era and everyone thought he was shite because he didn't score enough.

• Upvote 1

Sort of quiet first 22 days.

Watkins loan expired -1 headcount. Probably a significant cash saving per week.

Woods loan extended. No change to cash or headcount.. But we've committed money that could have been spent elsewhere or saved

Leigh contract extended. No change to cash or headcount. But we've committed money that could have been spent elsewhere or saved

Edmondson recalled by Leeds. -1 headocunt. Cost saving of something per week.

Anderson sent back by Ayr. + 1 headcount. No choice in the matter. Small additional cost per week.

Virtanen recalled by Aberdeen. +1 headcount. Small additional cost per week.

Cerny retirement announcement. -1 headcount. It would likely be a very very minor cost saving for second half of the season .

So squad count is down by 1. The costs are probably down by a couple of grand per week at least. We've chosen to spend money on Woods, Leigh and Virtanen which we could have avoided some or all of.

Edit: Squad is bigger if Duncan, Ngwenya and Ramsay (out injured for 6 months) are all added as first team players.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 6:08 PM, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

McNamara was recalled by Millwall as there was interest in him from several Scottish clubs who were aware that his contract at Millwall would run out in the summer. They are hoping to get him to sign a new contract with them and have him cover for right wing back Mahlon Romeo. But he will only be 2nd possibly, 3rd choice for that role so having been playing every week he might not be keen to just sit on the bench every week. I guess it will all depend on the money he is offered and what compensation costs there would be for clubs to sign as he is only 22.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2021 at 6:10 PM, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Aren’t the cross border compensation amounts fairly small?

Joe Aribo went to the huns for a fraction of what Charlton would’ve got had he gone to an English club as one example I can think of. 

My hopes that we might manage to get Danny McNamara on a pre-contract as he would only be a back up option at Millwall looks like they are in tatters.

He came into the team in the last round of the FA cup and won man of the match and played so well it was impossible to drop him. Has then started next 3 championship games and has been man of the match in a couple of those too and their fans are saying he is now their player of the season after just playing 4 games for them.

One thing I think it points out that a player shouldn't be written off and dismissed as not going to make it just because he is not a top first team first choice player by the time they are out their teens and just because some loan spells didn't work out.

He will be 23 later this year and has only just made his debut this month having not had very illustrious loan spells at Welling United, Dover Athletic, Havant and Waterlooville and then Newport before joining St J in the summer. A year ago it would probably have been almost a certainty that he would be released this summer but he has suddenly made huge strides forward.

Some players are ready much earlier but some will make a big stride forward much later and its not always obvious that they were going to make that leap.

1 minute ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

My hopes that we might manage to get Danny McNamara on a pre-contract as he would only be a back up option at Millwall looks like they are in tatters.

He came into the team in the last round of the FA cup and won man of the match and played so well it was impossible to drop him. Has then started next 3 championship games and has been man of the match in a couple of those too and their fans are saying he is now their player of the season after just playing 4 games for them.

One thing I think it points out that a player shouldn't be written off and dismissed as not going to make it just because he is not a top first team first choice player by the time they are out their teens and just because some loan spells didn't work out.

He will be 23 later this year and has only just made his debut this month having not had very illustrious loan spells at Welling United, Dover Athletic, Havant and Waterlooville and then Newport before joining St J in the summer. A year ago it would probably have been almost a certainty that he would be released this summer but he has suddenly made huge strides forward.

Some players are ready much earlier but some will make a big stride forward much later and its not always obvious that they were going to make that leap.

If he’s still their player of the season at the end of the season that’s a better judge of his quality rather than after 4 matches. 

7 minutes ago, Matt Armstrong's Dog said:

The bingo company may be worth that but nae oor Funso.

Aye but Funso isn't part of an organisation that fleeces large numbers of punters out of their hard earned cash to watch a ball going round in circles and ending up in a random position, usually not where the majority want it to finish

Oh hang on...

• Upvote 1