January 2021

1 hour ago, sooth_stander said:

Yeah, and they’ve been a raging success with the rest of the Motherwell squad too. No wins since Oct 31st and only about 5 in the entire calendar year.

Isnt that part of being a good manager/coach? Identify talent and bringing it out?

Just cos someone is shit at club A and club B does not necessarily mean he will be shit at Club C

Ok. I’ll flip it over. 

Do you think McInnes can do that? 

I don’t rate the lad & I doubt McInnes would get the best out of him. 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Ok. I’ll flip it over. 

Do you think McInnes can do that? 

I don’t rate the lad & I doubt McInnes would get the best out of him. 

McInnes inability or not is a separate conversation:

Having seen Hastie in his first spell at Motherwell, he was electric, and a far better option than GMS now, or McGinn.

Whether having his pockets lined with gold has dulled his ambitions since moving to Sevco, who knows.

But I’d like to give him the chance at AFC, and also think it would be worth giving McInnes what’s left of his time here to work with the lad.

Moot point, won’t be happening ??

5 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

We are due a development fee even if he doesn’t move till June, although how that fee differs from what we’d get now, no one seems to know for sure.

We aren't

The proof was posted in his thread last week

No development fee is payable if a player joins a club after the end of the season in which that player turns 23

I notice in the Scott Burns article about Sheffield Wed being scared off by the price for Sam Cosgrove that he also says there is interest from both sides of the border for Funso Ojo

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sam-cosgrove-transfer-news-sheffield-23382154

"There is also interest in Aberdeen midfielder Funso Ojo from both sides of the border that could materialise before Monday."

I'm sure you would all be gutted to lose Funso.

5 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I presume a permanent one would involve us paying him off which doesn't sound like a good idea.

I assume, correctly of course, that no other club want to pay Ojo £3k/week.

Why? If someone puts a bid in that suits is all, why would we need to pay him off? It's not like we're freeing him . 

will we need to pay off cosgrove if we transfer him ?! 

Deary me.

Interest in Ojo is bizarre.

On both sides of the border too. 

I think we can safely say that in England it's going to be from EFL1 or lower. But the EFL1 wage cap sits at an average of £1700 per player. I can't see him wanting to take a pay cut anytime soon.....nor can I envisage a club there wanting to cough up close to twice what they "should" be paying a player.

As for Scotland......who could afford the £3k/week? Outwith the cheeks who obvs won't be interested.......the Edinburgh clubs, Kilmarnock and maybe Motherwell on an individual case basis. St Mirren supposedly are paying Brophy an equivalent wage but I think they view him as a "star" striker and as such are paying him a commensurate salary. Ojo is just a bog standard midfielder. And anyway these clubs have all seen first hand that he's really done nothing in his time with us that suggests he's worth a contract on such terms anywhere else.

On balance, I think I'll believe this story about purported interest when I see the club stating that they've accepted an offer

34 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

I presume a permanent one would involve us paying him off which doesn't sound like a good idea.

I assume, correctly of course, that no other club want to pay Ojo £3k/week.

But they will want to pay him £3k a week on loan?

Either way we'll be paying some of his wages you'd guess.

1 hour ago, DD1903 said:

Why? If someone puts a bid in that suits is all, why would we need to pay him off? It's not like we're freeing him . 

will we need to pay off cosgrove if we transfer him ?! 

Deary me.

I don't see us paying off Cosgrove this month but I agree he also carries a negative transfer value based on his performances since Dubai trip.

Given that fans will not be allowed in stadiums any time soon + the season will most likely be completed, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that we will be aiming to shift a number of players off the books sooner rather than later.

Reckon that Cosgrove will be sold this window, hopefully for a reasonable fee + add ons. Another example would be we cannot afford to retain both Ojo and McGeouch therefore stories about Ojo potentially moving make sense.

Given the current financial climate can see others going too with squad places being taken up by the younger development players (no bad thing in my book)?

2 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Tord. 3k a week. 

I see two issues here

lolz

Hopefully it's wrong, Yes.

Even say it's £1.5k a week then the Scottish clubs would still be ruled out in terms of taking him on permanently

edit- and this is from someone who believes mcinnes is on £900k per year before bonuses? 

6 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Hopefully it's wrong, Yes.

Even say it's £1.5k a week then the Scottish clubs would still be ruled out in terms of taking him on permanently

edit- and this is from someone who believes mcinnes is on £900k per year before bonuses? 

The people who informed me of derek's wage are far more informed than you are, tordy ?

Ps it's more than that ?

Ojo was quite highly rated in League 1 when he played with Scunthorpe and there was championship interest in him away back then. I think interest from there will be based on his form for them as opposed to how he has played since moving up to Scotland.

I would assume the interest north of the border is from Motherwell. I posted a few weeks back when Graham Alexander took the well job that he was the manager who took him to England and was a big fan. Would assume that any move there would be likely to be a loan though.

38 minutes ago, SupportmeansSUPPORT said:

Ojo was quite highly rated in League 1 when he played with Scunthorpe and there was championship interest in him away back then. I think interest from there will be based on his form for them as opposed to how he has played since moving up to Scotland.

I would assume the interest north of the border is from Motherwell. I posted a few weeks back when Graham Alexander took the well job that he was the manager who took him to England and was a big fan. Would assume that any move there would be likely to be a loan though.

Ojo in part exchange for Campbell would suit both parties 

• Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Ojo in part exchange for Campbell would suit both parties 

If that happens, would we be preparing to cash in on selling Ferguson to assist the financial situation ?