Niall McGinn

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Granite95 said:

Absolutely honking attempt at a free-kick, metnal he's been banging on about getting a new deal, barely worth half of what he's currently on

Terrible free kick but the cross he put in seconds later was decent, actually thought he was our most threatening attacking player at Parkhead.

9 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Is Big Tam even that good? Is he as good as peak Anderson or Reynolds? Not for me. 

He's much loved on here.

I'd like him to stay but no way should we pay through the nose for someone that's played like 70 games in their career. I supported not offering Wright top dollar on same basis.

27 years old. 103 starts. Heading for the EPL soon.

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Terrible free kick but the cross he put in seconds later was decent, actually thought he was our most threatening attacking player at Parkhead.

Yip had a good game at Girodome. Been fucking shite up until then. Id let him go. That level of consistency, or lack of it, isnt good enough from an experienced top earner in our squad. Hes gone stale/complacent imo. And his legs are gone.  

3 hours ago, Granite95 said:

Absolutely honking attempt at a free-kick, metnal he's been banging on about getting a new deal, barely worth half of what he's currently on

He should be sacked for that. 

It’s like an office worker being unable to send an email. Pathetic. 

5 hours ago, Tord31 said:

I'll be sad the day McGinn goes.

I'm not sure i'd be bothered about any others on the out of contract list including the much afc-chat loved Tam Hoban.

And so will I.

He was the first player in a long time to have a good first season and then not move on for the first offer that came his way.  A player of the year nominee, double figure goals, scoring 8 consecutive games; and he signs an extension rather than leaving. In the back of the dreadful teams prior to that, this was unheard of. He helped to make me feel good about the seasons ahead.  I’ve always liked Niall.

Despite his obvious drop in fitness and form, I think he is worthy of a 1 year extension on reduced terms to be used as a sub. His legs are not what they used to be, but he’s still the best crosser of the ball at the club (free kick aside). 

1 minute ago, OnceFaeMintlaw said:

And so will I.

He was the first player in a long time to have a good first season and then not move on for the first offer that came his way.  A player of the year nominee, double figure goals, scoring 8 consecutive games; and he signs an extension rather than leaving. In the back of the dreadful teams prior to that, this was unheard of. He helped to make me feel good about the seasons ahead.  I’ve always liked Niall.

Despite his obvious drop in fitness and form, I think he is worthy of a 1 year extension on reduced terms to be used as a sub. His legs are not what they used to be, but he’s still the best crosser of the ball at the club (free kick aside). 

That's worth another thread all together.

If McGinn's value drops to £800/week, If Logan's value drops to £500/week, if Devlin's value drops to £400/week, if Leigh's value drops to £300/week then should we hold on to any of them.

In reality it doesn't work like that. They demand similar terms for next season and they end up leaving. They only get realistic by the middle of the summer at which point we've moved on.

31 minutes ago, Betty Swallicks said:

I doubt it.

He was one of the Soul lot all of which except I think Hayes and Devin have gone now. Hayes is virtually unsackable as a player and Devlin is the union rep so McInnes will be scared to try and dunt him.

Bryson, Anderson, McKenna, Devlin, McGeouch, Cosgrove, Hayes, Kennedy

25 minutes ago, Roberto said:

The rumours were him and McInnes fell out.. 

Yup I remember being told at the time of the soul episode that Bryson and Devlin had taken a major huff about being fined for it. Was told that the 2 of them were going to be shipped out on the back of the falling out.

Certainly rang true with Bryson, there was probably nobody willing to take on Devlin. Would certainly make sense why we've never seen him since.

12 hours ago, Andy_123 said:

Yup I remember being told at the time of the soul episode that Bryson and Devlin had taken a major huff about being fined for it. Was told that the 2 of them were going to be shipped out on the back of the falling out.

Certainly rang true with Bryson, there was probably nobody willing to take on Devlin. Would certainly make sense why we've never seen him since.

Aye heard that. Devlin injured so will no doubt not have his deal renewed which is up this summer is it not?

McGinn, despite that free kick in the video somewhere above, is still the only player in our squad that seems to be able to hit a decent dead ball or a cross.  Just a shame his legs are gone. 

Does seem to be a common theme at Pittodrie recently (ish) with bringing in players and their legs going.

• Hartley
  • Robson
  • McGinn
  • Folly
  • May
  • Devlin?

8 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

McGinn, despite that free kick in the video somewhere above, is still the only player in our squad that seems to be able to hit a decent dead ball or a cross.  Just a shame his legs are gone. 

Does seem to be a common theme at Pittodrie recently (ish) with bringing in players and their legs going.

• Hartley
  • Robson
  • McGinn
  • Folly
  • May
  • Devlin?

Aye he's practically done.  But he's still the most creative player we've got available unfortunately.  Even a finished Niall McGinn offers more than the likes of Kennedy in that position. 

And if we'd given him more game time up front previously then at least then we would have a player who was match fit despite his pace having gone.  We coukd have used him better over the last few months rather than throwing him in now and expecting him to be at 100%