Niall McGinn

2 hours ago, StandFree1982 said:

McGinn, despite that free kick in the video somewhere above, is still the only player in our squad that seems to be able to hit a decent dead ball or a cross.  Just a shame his legs are gone. 

Does seem to be a common theme at Pittodrie recently (ish) with bringing in players and their legs going.

• Hartley
  • Robson
  • McGinn
  • Folly
  • May
  • Devlin?

Big difference between bringing in experienced older heads who you know will only last a season or 2, and bringing in previously injured / injury prone players and hoping they’ll stay fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Deserves a bump for that goal last night - not quite Van Basten geometry (if you look at both goals they are from similar positions but Van Basten is a bit further forward - level with the 6 yard box - making his angle that little bit tighter) but bloody good stuff nevertheless - and a well-timed rejoinder to the 'he's past it' plebs

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12259530/outrageous-mcginn-goal

48 minutes ago, RedRichard said:

Deserves a bump for that goal last night - not quite Van Basten geometry (if you look at both goals they are from similar positions but Van Basten is a bit further forward - level with the 6 yard box - making his angle that little bit tighter) but bloody good stuff nevertheless - and a well-timed rejoinder to the 'he's past it' plebs

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12259530/outrageous-mcginn-goal

Wi mcuseless gone the team will be practising the art of attacking football and passing forward to a player from their own team after the summer break. Bring on next season....

• 2 months later...
26 minutes ago, 1903Fitba said:

Should be sacked for his hairline. 

Bottom 6 for us next season I fear. 

FFS if we sacked players for dodgy hairlines what punishment would you have given Drew Jarvie? Shot at dawn by a firing squad?

McGinn still has the skills but his legs have gone. Will be a useful 20-30 minute sub for one more season

• Upvote 1

Invaluable coming off the bench in tight games?  Based on what exactly?  And I mean both how common the scenario of a "tight game" whereby taking on Mcginn will help is since we've been shite at managing 1-0 leads out recently and secondly what specifically it is he offers in such a scenario.  Obviously not pace for a breakaway.  Its not clear to me who his dead balls are supposed to be reaching (unless its their first man's napper in which case he's fucking brilliant).  And this "International" reputation about if we want our chance to fall to someone who is it I also struggle with given the number of said last chances Ive watched sail into row S of the RDS.

He has qualities.  I get it.  Do feel we could have done better with younger though.  And yes very heavily dependent on where and how we play him and who we play around him.

• Upvote 1
  • Dildo 1
56 minutes ago, Andy_123 said:

If we sign some wingers so he can play more centrally it probably won’t be the worst business we do this summer.

If the plan is for him to play out wide when he’s on the pitch, then it’s probably a waste of money.

Would agree with this - and also get someone else to take the corners as his occasional good one far outweighed by the failing to get past first defender (or pratting around the corner flag before losing possession/ passing back to Lewis)

55 minutes ago, 4n4LprObE666 said:

Not quite the same player since his short Asian jaunt but I didn't grudge him trying something different at that stage in his career.

On his day he can still change a game so a 1 year extension sounds about right and I imagine he won't start many games.

Short is an understatement really. What did he miss, 4 months? 

We've offered Devlin a contract and he's been missing about 60 months

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Invaluable coming off the bench in tight games?  Based on what exactly?  And I mean both how common the scenario of a "tight game" whereby taking on Mcginn will help is since we've been shite at managing 1-0 leads out recently and secondly what specifically it is he offers in such a scenario.  Obviously not pace for a breakaway.  Its not clear to me who his dead balls are supposed to be reaching (unless its their first man's napper in which case he's fucking brilliant).  And this "International" reputation about if we want our chance to fall to someone who is it I also struggle with given the number of said last chances Ive watched sail into row S of the RDS.

He has qualities.  I get it.  Do feel we could have done better with younger though.  And yes very heavily dependent on where and how we play him and who we play around him.

Livi at home in the cup immediately springs to mind 

Decent option to come off the bench if he’s taken a hefty wage cut which it’s sounds like he has