Lockdown Skills

Ke1t

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

How are you defining "success"?

My definition of success will differ from everyone else's definition - for some it may be wealth, knowledge, awards, recognition while for others it may be as simple as making it through the day.

I am happy with my lot in life thank you for asking.

What is your definition of success then?

2 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Where you are now? :hysterical:

Getting abusive at night time, pouring out jealousy and envy one month, then accusing me of doing the same the next, despite zero evidence of the latter?

Wanking off about a shit baker and an average butcher, traditional Sunday's with the family, "well-deserved" holidays?

You're a fucking beaut min. You should get to know the town you live in, the right way, the only way, instead of hiding in the hipster faggot rugger bugger craft wankery shithole. 

Boom there we have it - cannot hold down a conversation without eventually resorting to insults, venom and hate! 

We could all see it coming and you never fail to deliver!

5 minutes ago, Jocky Balboa said:

Dazzy, people like you who write off university educated people are just as bad as the intellectual snobs who deride those without degrees. Being "big in oil" doesn't impress those who are right through this attitude. You are correct that some great Engineers don't have degrees, but a great many do.

Jeezo didnt think it would be you who took the bait. 

I dont actually care whether folk have degrees or not. Point still stands that in my discipline the best engineers are the ones who came off the tools rather than through any sort of graduate scheme. 

3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

No, the best are those who have both years of drill floor experience AND did Mech Eng. A rig pig doesn't even have the basic intellect to work with spreadsheets, the most important skill for the guys in charge of numerous rigs. 

My discipline is nothing to do with mechanical engineering. Nor anything to do with drilling. And since i specifically mentioned the discipline i work in, I dont know why you are referencing these. 

Im a whizz on excel and dont have a degree to prove it. 

Next...

16 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

I dont actually care whether folk have degrees or not. Point still stands that in my discipline the best engineers are the ones who came off the tools rather than through any sort of graduate scheme. 

Fair play. It varies across sub-disciplines, as the industry recognises; for instance, in having both standard and alternative routes to Chartership, the latter path allowing those who worked their way up in industry and gained equivalent competencies through work-based experience to gain equal recognition.

16 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Uni was great for getting smashed on the governments money. 

That may be true for those who studied pre-1999, but those of us who came after were mostly self-funded. While I think university is vastly overpriced, it will in the longer term sort the wheat from the chaff, as only those who are driven and doing it for the right reasons will take on such a long-term financial commitment.

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

If you "specifically mentioned the discipline", I didn't see it.

If it was a coded reference, that's not "specifically mentioning" at all.

Communication isn't saying, it's being heard. 

If you "specifically mentioned the discipline", I didn't see it.

If it was a coded reference, that's not "specifically mentioning" at all.

Communication isn't saying, it's being heard. 

27 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Cheers

Are you retarded?

Where was the specific discipline mentioning you mentioned?

I used the term "my discipline". Therefore referencing the discipline I work in. Which is related to neither mechanical engineering, or drilling. Are you some sort of mongol that cannot understand that?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

The thickos love to call themselves "engineer" when they're trained up grease monkeys who sucked cock to get an office job.

The grant system was a false security. First day we got our money through, I burned a fiver in the Aberdeen Students Union at a table with my mates. They thought I was mad, you could have got very pissed on a fiver in 1979. They were probably right because I had no idea why I did it. In hindsight it was a good move. 

Love the KLF

You're the one who said you "specifically mentioned" the discipline you were in.

It appears your communication skills are as poor as your thinking capacity.

Retard.

You're only getting a bite because you were in the ignore bin for a month but I had to let you out to make room for another mutant I needed to put in there. Thick cunt. 

LOL. Can you please put me back in the ignore bin? It was much better when i didnt have you engaging with me. 

MONGOL CHOPS. 

As you know, having ignored you for a month - very easily done as you never post anything worth reading - it was you who got bold the last couple of days, little snidey digs, seeing how far you can push it. Simple rule, don't be an arse and we won't talk. I only react. I never start. Stupid bastard. 

Lol. Mongo chops. 

3 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

The thickos love to call themselves "engineer" when they're trained up grease monkeys who sucked cock to get an office job.

The grant system was a false security. First day we got our money through, I burned a fiver in the Aberdeen Students Union at a table with my mates. They thought I was mad, you could have got very pissed on a fiver in 1979. They were probably right because I had no idea why I did it. In hindsight it was a good move. 

It's endemic across the UK and Ireland, where all sorts of handymen and satellite dish fitters are abusing the title of Engineer (we've even got former used car salesmen turned buyers calling themselves "Sales Engineer"!)

It is a protected title in many developed countries and rightly so. This gives it parity with Architects, Lawyers, Scientists and even Doctors in the Germanic and Nordic countries. Until we follow suit, the chancers will continue to con the public and bring the profession down.

1 hour ago, Jocky Balboa said:

It's endemic across the UK and Ireland, where all sorts of handymen and satellite dish fitters are abusing the title of Engineer (we've even got former used car salesmen turned buyers calling themselves "Sales Engineer"!)

It is a protected title in many developed countries and rightly so. This gives it parity with Architects, Lawyers, Scientists and even Doctors in the Germanic and Nordic countries. Until we follow suit, the chancers will continue to con the public and bring the profession down.

Contracts engineer is my personal favourite. What the fuck is that?

• Upvote 1