Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Hamilton 1 - 1 Aberdeen

8 hours ago, alscotoz said:

What calibre of player, in 2020, is 'good enough for Aberdeen'?

For starters, players that have been playing above English League 1 and 2 level. 

Last night, and at Ibrox, we had several players who had previously played at that level;

Taylor - Northampton Town. 

Ojo - Scunthorpe United (finished in 21st in League 2 last season)

Leigh - Crewe Alexandra, Bradford City, Bury 

Cosgrove - Carlisle United

Kennedy - Portsmouth

(Fuck me, Inverness did most of their recruiting from these levels and the English National League and look what happened to them.)

Factor in the likes of Ryan Edmondson who has hardly played for Leeds United, Tommie Hoban, who has come back from arguably three potentially career-ending injuries, Curtis Main (English League Two level at best), and Shay Logan, who has one eye on retiring, you can start to understand why we have performed well below standard in the last two games. 

Our recruitment overall, apart from a couple of gems, has been very much flawed and errant. 

• Downvote 1
2 hours ago, sooth_stander said:

I’d give Kennedy SOME slack in that he’s no wing back, he’s an old fashioned winger in the Johnny Hayes mould of old, but the latter has been able to reinvent himself.

McInnes seems hell bent on a back 3 this season so Kennedy has a problem.

3 centre halves last night and 2 sitting midfielders against the worst team in the league. It just makes no sense at all. 

I don't cut him any. I was perplexed at the time as why we signed him....he was hardly setting the heather alight at Kilmarnock. Now having seen him for the best part of a year, I fail to see what he brings to us. He's not particularly quick, he's certainly not particularly brave and his crossing and finishing are underwhelming to say the least. 

As for last nights team.....McInnes may not be everyone's cup of tea but I trust him enough to know if the youngsters we have are reliable enough to do a job. Clearly McInnes thinks not. Who else could we have given a start to? Well Hernandez and Logan were on the bench. Clearly Hernandez isn't rated at all and Logan is clearly winding down his career, although still think he should be serviceable enough for this season against the bottom 6 sides at least if required. But a back 3 is clearly our go to formation so game time is likely to be minimal. Devlin I guess could have played in place of Taylor but given his lack of football for the past 18 months I'd say he is almost as far out of DM's thoughts as Hernandez. 

So the only real difference is that we maybe could have started Mcginn in place of Main. What we don't know is what advice the medical/physio team gave McInnes about him having just returned from injury...it could be they said he was only fit for 30 minutes or so max.  What is patently obvious is that we need Ferguson, McCrorie and Hayes all back asap, or else we will struggle to beat anyone. And McGeouch too probably.

Another way of looking at last night in light of the "so many players unavailable" argument...

How many of our team last night would have improved Hamilton ? Would Ojo, Taylor, Main and the like improve Accies ? If they would then why didn't we win ? If the wouldn't improve an Accies team then why do we have them on contract ? Sure, our strongest team wasn't on the pitch last night but that's football. If we've got squad players that aren't good enough to beat Accies why are they signed to us ? And whose fault is that ?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
37 minutes ago, dj_bollocks said:

Another way of looking at last night in light of the "so many players unavailable" argument...

How many of our team last night would have improved Hamilton ? Would Ojo, Taylor, Main and the like improve Accies ? If they would then why didn't we win ? If the wouldn't improve an Accies team then why do we have them on contract ? Sure, our strongest team wasn't on the pitch last night but that's football. If we've got squad players that aren't good enough to beat Accies why are they signed to us ? And whose fault is that ?

Snow White and his 11 dwarfes 

4 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I don't cut him any. I was perplexed at the time as why we signed him....he was hardly setting the heather alight at Kilmarnock. Now having seen him for the best part of a year, I fail to see what he brings to us. He's not particularly quick, he's certainly not particularly brave and his crossing and finishing are underwhelming to say the least. 

We signed him from St Johnstone but interesting that he started at Killie nine years ago, has been with eleven clubs including loan spells. He’s not consistent enough for my liking and needs to up his game soon.

10 hours ago, dj_bollocks said:

Good post

• Downvote 1
19 hours ago, dj_bollocks said:

An extension of that - since we're not going to carry 24 instant game winners in our squad.  Those decent if not first team pics on the bench should be getting fairly frequent time on the pitch once we're home hosed and cruising in games against dross.  The injury position I get.  But this 3 minutes to go for the fit ones nonsense is just that.  But of course we cant change them because we're invariably (not) hanging on for grim death. 

As I said before. Pretty much every one of those players have been deemed good enough as first 11 by McInnes in not too distant past & even in present time in some cases.

All will be earning more than highest earners at Accies but plenty are not worth half their wage & should never be Dons players, first team or squad.

• Downvote 1

The problem the other night was we had no control of the middle of the park in the second half, we had Campbell trying to get on the ball but not do much with it and a statue beside him. 
kennedy I think is decent after we first went 343 and he was on the right with hayes on the left when he got injured people were gutted saying we were going to miss him in there