Maradona

6 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I did say in dire emergency. It hasn't happened because...….well it hasn't happened. 

I also doubt Messi could play right back...….although I'm sure he'd be ok at left back. In an emergency

Your sounding like Derek. Wanting to convert one of the greatest players ever to play the game into a right back ?

6 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

I saw Pele in the 1970 World Cup on TV and like you TC, Ronaldo the only one I've seen in action.

My opinion of his greatness wasn't based on the one game I saw him play, which he won single-handedly, but on thousands of hours of football over many decades.

Anybody spitting "seen much of them aye?" or similar in a debate such as this is a mutant, best ignored.

Listen to the resident biff. That meltdown can't be far off you slavering wreck. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I'm old enough to remember Pele at the end of his career at New York Cosmos. All on Tv of course. The only one I have seen play in the flesh is Ronaldo. 

And of course....my opinion is one I respect. Unlike yours.....

Seriously though, what kind of Mongol would even mention about Ronaldo being able to do a job in defence if needs be, what relevance is that? In that case can I put forward Matt Elliot as potentially one of the greatest players ever, perhaps Callum Patterson or Dion Dublin too. 

Messi is easily the best ever because his maw makes a fine plate of mince and tatties. 

Just now, rocket_scientist said:

You keep to being an antagonistic arsehole and keep us entertained with "hilarious" jokes about mince and tatties.

Imagine anyone admitting to coming from Perthshire? Mutant.

You don't like Perthshire. A pish stained frothing at the mouth jaikball like yourself would be even more noticeable here than up there., Im not surprised. 

1 hour ago, perthshirered said:

Seriously though, what kind of Mongol would even mention about Ronaldo being able to do a job in defence if needs be, what relevance is that? In that case can I put forward Matt Elliot as potentially one of the greatest players ever, perhaps Callum Patterson or Dion Dublin too. 

Messi is easily the best ever because his maw makes a fine plate of mince and tatties. 

The minute I think your opinion is of any relevance is the minute I take a loup off the Forth bridge.

You keep judging mince and tatties. Everyone has to have one talent in life....

12 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Don't agree. Both Maradona and now Messi are both horrendously one footed. Undoubtedly still way beyond the level of other mere mortals but I just cannot put them above Ronaldo or even Pele. 

Ronaldo can play anywhere along the front line or in midfield. If push came to shove, he also has the physicality that in a dire emergency, he could even fill in as a central defender. 

Ive also never understood why opposing managers never chose to man mark Maradona or Messi using a smallish but quick player who has a similar low centre of gravity to them.

Normally I'd agree with you about being two footed. Drummed into me from an early age and I did same with my kids. But when my son turned around and said Messi only uses his left, what do you say? Messi and maradona, their left foot and body movement is/was SO good, their other foot was almost irrelevant. They were extremely rare exceptions to the rule because they were so good.

Maradona and Messi easily the best I've seen but maradona carried teams, he inspired teams, he won trophies for teams they shouldn't have even got close to. Maradona was a freak. 

So if those 2 were taken out of the equation, your opinion about two footedness stands and definitely gives players an advantage.

Respect your opinion, of course, BUT in this case...

4 hours ago, ericblack4boss said:

That Argentina side of 86 was an ordinary side, made world beaters by one player,  he single handedly carried them to the trophy, 

Pele was in a Brazil side with many good players. 

And why there is no comparison between him and Messi.

Lionel has had 4 world cups to try and take Argentina to glory.He's undoubtedly world class, and up there in terms of best ever, but at Barca he's had Spain's golden generation to help him-Iniesta, Xavi etc.

1 hour ago, YorkDon said:

And why there is no comparison between him and Messi.

Lionel has had 4 world cups to try and take Argentina to glory.He's undoubtedly world class, and up there in terms of best ever, but at Barca he's had Spain's golden generation to help him-Iniesta, Xavi etc.

And in an era where players get more protection 

You have to factor in Maradona's cocaine consumption, partying until 3am, and being in the pocket of the Camorra mafia, when considering GOAT.  Messi and Ronaldo should both get fucked up before their next match, in tribute,  and see how they get on, with free passes to defenders to kick the shit out of them.

Not surprised his life turned to shit, his life looked hellish in the Diego film, when he wasn't playing football. 

10 hours ago, G31DON said:

You have to factor in Maradona's cocaine consumption, partying until 3am, and being in the pocket of the Camorra mafia, when considering GOAT.  Messi and Ronaldo should both get fucked up before their next match, in tribute,  and see how they get on, with free passes to defenders to kick the shit out of them.

Not surprised his life turned to shit, his life looked hellish in the Diego film, when he wasn't playing football. 

His off field habits for me is a huge tarnish to his reputation and why he was never considered as an Ambassador for football.

An absolutely immense player but I’d pick Pele ahead of Maradona for those reasons

2 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Off field stuff should have zero to do with his reputation on it. 

Hey, everyone has an opinion and mines is swayed by being involved in grassroots football. You’re fine to have your own thought process.

‘We have pointed to Maradona occasionally I.e. the rainbow kewpie up pie skill challenge, but to be considered for the GOAT accolade, the whole package I has to be considered.

21 minutes ago, afc1903mad said:

Hey, everyone has an opinion and mines is swayed by being involved in grassroots football. You’re fine to have your own thought process.

‘We have pointed to Maradona occasionally I.e. the rainbow kewpie up pie skill challenge, but to be considered for the GOAT accolade, the whole package I has to be considered.

The GOAT debate should only revolve around achievements ON the pitch & the ability of the player & how they influenced the teams they played with. 

We all know about the drugs, the alcohol, the infidelities, associations with Neapolitan Mafia etc etc... why does that make him a lesser footballer than Pele as you said?