Maradona

20 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The GOAT debate should only revolve around achievements ON the pitch & the ability of the player & how they influenced the teams they played with. 

We all know about the drugs, the alcohol, the infidelities, associations with Neapolitan Mafia etc etc... why does that make him a lesser footballer than Pele as you said? 

Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has them.

We have a differing opinion, that’s fine

Pele was a naughty boy off the pitch as well.  It was just he was protected more and played in Brazil in a time when news didn't really travel from South America to Europe. Maradona played in Europe in the days when the paparazzi were becoming more common. 

In any case, you should never expect footballers to be role models. Something they generally didn't ask for anyway. 

Goat should be measured by on pitch stuff only. 

3 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

The GOAT debate should only revolve around achievements ON the pitch & the ability of the player & how they influenced the teams they played with. 

We all know about the drugs, the alcohol, the infidelities, associations with Neapolitan Mafia etc etc... why does that make him a lesser footballer than Pele as you said? 

Aye, he was a football player, not a BB leader.

Interesting debate about the GOAT. I grew up watching Pele videos with my old man, as well as Mexico '86 videos. To my mind, one thing that has to be taken into account is that of his 3 World Cup victories, Pele was in Brazil sides so good, they would have arguably won without him. Certainly the 1958 and 1970 tournaments, anyway, such was their brilliance.

Conversely, Napoli were a very unfancied side who massively overachieved due to Maradona. While I think it's harsh to say the Argentina side in 1986 were ordinary, I think the excellent German side would have bested them in the final if not for Maradona. Undeniably the 1990 incarnation of Argentina were very poor by comparison and there's little doubt that Maradona and Caniggia were responsible for taking them to the final.

1 minute ago, rocket_scientist said:

What does this mean?

Who are women we are "supposed to" shag compared to those we aren't "supposed to"?

Agree with the conclusion but an unfortunate way with words. 

Women who aren't his wife, RS. You know exactly what I meant but because I said it, you want to have a fight about it. 

Bore off. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Why did you start with the insults again?

Why didn't you stop and think that there might be something significant to be learned here? You did acknowledge that you're "not the smartest in the room" and yet you act like you've got fuck all to learn because you know it all.

I don't want the "fight" that you've wrongly assumed I'm after but it's not going to be possible to have the adult exchanges you say you want when you keep on insulting me. Can we start again?

You wouldn't turn up anyway!! ??

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
20 hours ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

It’s not really.

They’d have got nowhere near the final without Maradona. 

Correct. Watched the quarter final they played against England at Mexico '86 again on Friday and if it wasn't for Diego Maradona England would have progressed. 

Argentina were a very average team of cynicism that was countered with Maradona's undoubted class.