Maradona

10 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Who was better?

Ridiculous. 

definitely one of.

not old enough to remember his pre napoli times. doubt many on here would know either given obscure foreign football then wasn’t on tv much

and when I was old enough he was a shadow of his former self(shell o a man etc) and no longer the best in the world

4 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

We will need to disagree. I am vehemently opposed to your view. 

well as I said above I don’t remember the majority of maradonas best stuff.

so given my age if I say he’s the best it’s based on guesswork and\or regurgitating what other folk say 
and then that’s obvs the same with previous greats like pele, best, cruyff etc.

7 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

No but we have television, books, data and stats available to us in order to examine the GOAT question.

Eusebio was before my time but I wouldn't put him anywhere near the same class as Maradona. The really tough question is who was the second best of all time. The greatest is a closed book. Maradona closed it 30 years ago. Nobody came close before him like nobody's come close after. Your Messi and Ronaldo in the current era are contenders for 2nd GOAT but it's highly disputable between those two even before including Pele and Best etc. 

given the esteem he is held in by argies and Neapolitans, and the little of what I have seen of him, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was a better player than Messi or anyone else.

His highs were higher than Messi. 

The candle didn't burn as long though. 

The period that Maradona was at his peak he was better than Messi imo. 

Difficult to prove this as football has changed so much but my feeling is that had Maradona played in today's era he would have scored goals at the level of Ronaldo and Messi in their peak years. 

Sadly wasn't old enough to remember '86 World Cup but seen plenty of footage through the years but do remember watching 1990 World Cup and Maradona was still running the show and was so close to inspiring his country to a 2nd consecutive trophy. As Rocket says not even up for discussion, Diego was the GOAT

1 hour ago, OddJob said:

Sadly wasn't old enough to remember '86 World Cup but seen plenty of footage through the years but do remember watching 1990 World Cup and Maradona was still running the show and was so close to inspiring his country to a 2nd consecutive trophy. As Rocket says not even up for discussion, Diego was the GOAT

ah come on now son.

you’re talking to the world’s foremost expert on italia 90.

by his high standards he was very poor. as dissspointing as the Dutch side. his peak had finished.

mattheus obviously had a better World Cup, goes without saying. even breakthrough players like baggio and gazza had better tournaments than him.

1 minute ago, Simply Red said:

I am indeed. Nae struggles tho other than keeping my bevvying to a family functional level. After 3.5 months on the dole ive finally got a job, not my line of work but a job.

I reiterate - Maradona is the best ever. @Bluto10

Fuck you Terry Butcher.

you’re younger than me min :laughing:

enough football geeks place him at or very near the top. Some say pele, others messi.  

pointless argument. especially when you’ve never seen him or pele play much

1 minute ago, Bluto10 said:

you’re younger than me min :laughing:

enough football geeks place him at or very near the top. Some say pele, others messi.  

pointless argument. especially when you’ve never seen him or pele play much

Watched enough to know he’s the best ever.

Watched messi do fuckall for Argentina in 4 world cups.

Great player but he’s no Maradona.

The gbh he got every time he played and the shitey pitches and he still produced magic. 

Are you saying cos youve watched messi on the box more than maradona, he’s better?

I’ll lend you my Maradona dvd collection, get you up to speed. You’d soon come round to the correct way of thinking. 

16 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

No but we have television, books, data and stats available to us in order to examine the GOAT question.

Eusebio was before my time but I wouldn't put him anywhere near the same class as Maradona. The really tough question is who was the second best of all time. The greatest is a closed book. Maradona closed it 30 years ago. Nobody came close before him like nobody's come close after. Your Messi and Ronaldo in the current era are contenders for 2nd GOAT but it's highly disputable between those two even before including Pele and Best etc. 

Willie Miller.