St Mirren 2 - 1 Aberdeen

6 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't think Cosgrove is the problem. If we're completely incapable of playing the ball through midfield and resort to 60 yard punts to Cosgrove, I don't think we can blame him for that. 

Especially when, even when he wins the ball from them, there's not another red shirt within 15 yards of him. 

Bringing Watkins in allowed us to play a more effective style of football that not only brought us better results, but was also much more pleasing to the eye. 

When Cosgrove plays, he just cannot fulfil the same role. He is the problem therefore. Foreby that, his disinterest is now obvious to everyone. It is for the best for all parties if he is sold in January

Just now, Ten Caat said:

Bringing Watkins in allowed us to play a more effective style of football that not only brought us better results, but was also much more pleasing to the eye. 

When Cosgrove plays, he just cannot fulfil the same role. He is the problem therefore.

I don't agree. The difference to me isn't Watkins/Cosgrove, it's the complete absence of a midfield. Watkins would've looked just as poor the last couple of games as Cosgrove has IMO  

• Upvote 1

He's definitely a problem. 

Watkins was able to hold the ball up and keep possession in the same formation as Cosgrove is playing in allowing us to get up the pitch. Which also involved going wide and coming deep to get involved with the play.  As well as creating space for others to exploit. 

He did it in a different way through his movement.  Cosgrove stands dead centre and its easy to predict if you're a defender. 

32 minutes ago, Parklife said:

I don't agree. The difference to me isn't Watkins/Cosgrove, it's the complete absence of a midfield. Watkins would've looked just as poor the last couple of games as Cosgrove has IMO  

Think the lack of support is an issue. There was several times against Hamilton when cosgrove ended up running with the ball down the channels before trying to put in a cross ball! 

He should be the one in the middle waiting for that ball. 

That said, I don't think his performances have been up to par. 

Said this to the loon last night.  Fully expected us to be worse because those struggling for confidence/ struggling to be arsed/ being generally shite would look to Hayes to cross for Cosgrove to score.

That didn’t happen for a host of reasons Already discussed but The symptom, the return to the aimless punt, was there for all to see.

jesus, even I could have done the Smurren team talk last night.  Whilst drunk.

Main, Ojo or Campbell are not good enough for us and never will be. Squad depth counts for little when the depth is poor quality. 

I'm not being opportunistic after Lewis' mistake - he's obviously been great for us, but we need to switch the captaincy to an outfield player, I'd give it to Ferguson. 

36 minutes ago, RedRichard said:

Main, Ojo or Campbell are not good enough for us and never will be. Squad depth counts for little when the depth is poor quality. 

I'm not being opportunistic after Lewis' mistake - he's obviously been great for us, but we need to switch the captaincy to an outfield player, I'd give it to Ferguson. 

Lewis has played in 9 domestic Cup competitions since he signed, and he has been responsible for us exiting 3 of those.  That is clearly not good enough regardless of what level of ability you have. 

1 hour ago, RedRichard said:

Disagree on Campbell.  As long as Joe doesn’t take it badly I’d Shift captain to Ferguson or one of the back 3

2 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Motherwell in the semi final. Maybe a bit harsh as Dom Ball played his part too. But Joe watched the saw second goal trundle by and that killed off any chance we had. 

The “Curtis Main 3-0” game?

if so that is harsh.

Arnason was a total bombscare that day.

Ditto Dom Ball at right back if I remember right. 

Also we had one of the worst ever midfielders playing for us that day... the wee black lad whose name I can’t remember... Nwakali or whatever.

8 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He's definitely a problem. 

Watkins was able to hold the ball up and keep possession in the same formation as Cosgrove is playing in allowing us to get up the pitch. Which also involved going wide and coming deep to get involved with the play.  As well as creating space for others to exploit. 

He did it in a different way through his movement.  Cosgrove stands dead centre and its easy to predict if you're a defender. 

St Mirren basically filled their last third of the pitch every time they allowed Aberdeen to have some possession.

watkins would have made zero difference in there either.

That is exactly the sort of thing that McInnes is supposed to find a solution for but failed to find a way of doing so, his best effort to ease that congestion for second half was to take off McGinn & Cosgrove for another defender & striker to have less bodies in St’s half.

It was tactical genius really. 

In my many years of following Aberdeen, there have been numerous examples of games like this, where the team fails to deliver on fairly modest expectations. I used to think that it was the hype that gave the supporters and players a deluded sense of their inherent superiority. These days its more down to low abilty and complacency from the players, dreadful tactics and an apparent total lack of motivation. We are told that its because so many players are out. OK, some might make a difference, but it shows that once again a big clearout is essential, and not just the players.

21 hours ago, RedRichard said:

I agree entirely. Ferguson is young, but so was Martin Buchan.

• Upvote 1