St Mirren 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Getting Ferguson, McCrorie and McLennan back for this one should help tremendously. But has anyone any idea why McGinn and Cosgrove were subbed off at half time? Injured? Precautionary?? Or just because they were plain shite???

Don't expect it to be pretty but I'll go for a reverse of Saturday's scoreline…..1-2 ( Hayes, Ferguson)

25 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Getting Ferguson, McCrorie and McLennan back for this one should help tremendously. But has anyone any idea why McGinn and Cosgrove were subbed off at half time? Injured? Precautionary?? Or just because they were plain shite???

Don't expect it to be pretty but I'll go for a reverse of Saturday's scoreline…..1-2 ( Hayes, Ferguson)

Mcinnes comments on Cosgrove substitution:

“There were no injuries at half time. The changes were just to change the dynamic of the game. We were restricted with what we could do but I felt we needed to get a hold of the ball more. Curtis is maybe better than Sam doing at doing that, and we wanted Jonny to stretch them and we wanted ball carriers on the side.

22 minutes ago, Millertime said:

The stuff about our depth not being as good as we thought is harsh, as its all well and good having depth when you have a few players out but we had 9 and 8 missing respectively from our last few matches 

Our entire midfield missing, for one, nobody can legislate for

Agree with the above.

Really frustrating though that we came into the matches prior to the injury and covid issues with real hope due to some of our performances.

A total bastard.

Hacking tim cunts have a lot to answer for. Well, at least a wee bit. Pricks

Theres no doubt we have missed Ferguson and McCrorie in the centre.

I think we've also missed the ball carriers as DM put it on the wings.

Hedges has been our outstanding player, but we had been reliant on him the last few games and it's always easier for attacking players if there are a few options instead of just one.

We'll still miss Wright and Watkins, but hopefully with Ferguson, McCrorie and McLennan potentially dropping in, we will give St Mirren a far better game than last week

Arguably missed Watkins McLennan and Wright as much as we missed Ferguson and Mcrorie.  Given those names I accept the point re the numbers missing.

That said, I could defend against McGinn and Cosgrove, more or less confirmed by Derek hooking them both at half time.  The pattern of the game against both Sides (I’ll give him the latitude of accepting the hun result in the circumstances) was utterly predictable.  Seemingly back to the Smiffy model of trying to see out 1-0s with no apparent model of where the 1 is coming from.  Rice, Goodwin, previously Wright they’ve all got him completely sussed on that front, that’s the problem.

6 hours ago, Millerdon said:

“There were no injuries at half time. The changes were just to change the dynamic of the game. We were restricted with what we could do but I felt we needed to get a hold of the ball more. Curtis is maybe better than Sam doing at doing that, and we wanted Jonny to stretch them and we wanted ball carriers on the side.

Worked wonders as well didn’t it.

He noticed St Mirren filled their own defensive 3rd every time we got possession. Literally put 10/11 men behind ball,  so his tactical genius to this was to take off one attacking mid for a CH & swap strikers to lessen the congestion in St Mirrens half. 

7 hours ago, Millerdon said:

lol glowing praise for Cosgrove that is!  

Just now, WesthillWanderersFC said:

I just don’t see what Kennedy brings.

Has he scored? 
Hardly any assists.

Barely gets past a man 

Not particularly quick

Wasn’t convinced when he signed & he’s done little to change my opinion. 

I know but we're short of players so he's good enough to get in the side with Watkins and Wright out. It's either him or McGinn for that role and I think McGinn is best used off the bench just now. 

2 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

I know but we're short of players so he's good enough to get in the side with Watkins and Wright out. It's either him or McGinn for that role and I think McGinn is best used off the bench just now. 

Maybe.

Or the alternative is Hedges at no 10 behind two strikers... then again I hate Main & I don’t think Edmondson is very good either.

So much for having the best squad for years.

The biggest maybe. 

27 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Maybe.

Or the alternative is Hedges at no 10 behind two strikers... then again I hate Main & I don’t think Edmondson is very good either.

So much for having the best squad for years.

The biggest maybe. 

Definitely the biggest. 

But there's a fair few who we are waiting to leave next summer. And a few duds. 

As well as what seems like a wee void in the young players ready to come through. 

3 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Good question.

With Watkins and Wright out there's a space in the two behind the striker. 

I just think Kennedy would benefit from the extra space in there and McLennan has the legs to get up and down the wing. 

But there's not a lot in it. 

I think I feel about Kennedy what you feel about Leigh. Not the worst but just bang average. Definitely a bit of a shirker when it comes to the physical side of the game.

McLennan is rough around the edges and when he has a bad game it's usually a stinker but I just feel he will cause St Mirren more problems than Kennedy. Whilst Wright is out, I'd be starting McGinn in his position. This will be his last season with us and we may as well squeeze as much out of him as we can. 60-70 minutes then bring on Kennedy in his place, hopefully his fresh legs might cause St Mirren problems late on.

Fuck knows who we start up front. Cosgrove struggling for form and clearly working his ticket?.Main...….well he's just Main. Will have an occasional flash of brilliance but generally just a lot of hustle and bustle and at times is a walking red card. Or Edmondson who I really can't make my mind up about. I'm going to go with Edmondson....Cosgrove needs benching to hopefully get him to buck his ideas up sharpish. If things are going well, bring Main on late and leave Cosgrove to stew. If going badly, bring Cosgrove on and pray for a miracle.