Jim McLean

3 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Best fitba I'd ever seen from AFC, the 90/91 season. Was lucky enough to see all but one game that season (St J away, lost 5) but unluckily was at Ibrox for the Smiffy capitulation. Hated that cunt. 

Aye, we bottled it that day.  We were the team in better form and went down there and played for the draw when we should have ripped them a new one. 

21 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye, we bottled it that day.  We were the team in better form and went down there and played for the draw when we should have ripped them a new one. 

Every player interviewed, and Jocky Scott have always said that the playing for a draw that day was a falacy, it was never discussed or suggested, 

7 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Every player interviewed, and Jocky Scott have always said that the playing for a draw that day was a falacy, it was never discussed or suggested, 

Maybe not, but subconsciously it looked like it when we brought in a defensive midfielder in Van de Ven, for a centre forward in Van der Ark.

Ironic that it was Van de Ven who was the one who missed the one on one with Woods. An attempted lob that Woods never had to jump to save. 

50 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

On the most trophies decides who is better. 

Well Alex Smith won more trophies than hun DMC, does that make Smith better than the sleekit cunt

Far too simplistic to compare managers based on trophies won.

The Tims have won more trophies under Lennon than Dundee United did under McLean. Does anyone think Lennon’s a better manager than McLean ?

5 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Pretty sure the Van de Ven miss was earlyish in the first half as I think it was 0-0 at the time 

It was. But I reckon the free header Gilhaus had in the first half was just as bad a miss as Van de Ven’s effort. Can’t remember offhand which came first.

Guest milne_afc

Dons shat it that day, McLeish was a disgrace at the second goal.

Never heard an atmosphere like it and the Dons never really recovered, became an also ran. Unfortunately coincided with the end of a purple patch.

1 minute ago, redone said:

It was. But I reckon the free header Gilhaus had in the first half was just as bad a miss as Van de Ven’s effort. Can’t remember offhand which came first.

Gillhaus near post header 

Van de Ven one on one.

FFS - the worst day of my footballing days coming flooding back.

Our one & only chance to win the league at the Bastard garden. Blown

FTH 

6 minutes ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Gillhaus near post header 

Van de Ven one on one.

FFS - the worst day of my footballing days coming flooding back.

Our one & only chance to win the league at the Bastard garden. Blown

FTH 

Wasn’t a near post header. My recollection is he was at the back post. 

Guest milne_afc
Just now, redone said:

Correct. He had too long to think about it and made a right balls up. Headed about 20ft over the bar

Just now, milne_afc said:

Correct. He had too long to think about it and made a right balls up. Headed about 20ft over the bar

That was more  the problem with Van de Ven....he had loads of time and a few options to finish, but never fully committed to anything and just poked it tamely straight at the keeper.

5 minutes ago, redone said:

Aye maybe.

The cross was a bit high though? 

Just now, redone said:

That was more  the problem with Van de Ven....he had loads of time and a few options to finish, but never fully committed to anything and just poked it tamely straight at the keeper.

The ball broke to him after a brilliant McKimmie 50/50 tackle was won.

It was a horrendous miss. 

If we’d scored first the scum would’ve crumbled. 

Darkest day of my life. Had Snelders nae been fucked we would have won. Scumbags were on there knees, they had just got beat 3-0 from Motherwell.

Nae sure about the draw thing if it was an actual tactic or not, but we did seem to sit back more than we did in fantastic performances in the run before that.

1 hour ago, rocket_scientist said:

Dunno how you guys can remember the details of that game. I was there and canna mind as it was a blur, the most horrible day ever experienced in fitba, by absolute miles. Was in a daze for hours afterwards, horrible, horrible day. 

Smith's team selection was the ultimate defeatist statement in footballing history.

1 hour ago, milne_afc said:

Dons shat it that day, McLeish was a disgrace at the second goal.

Never heard an atmosphere like it and the Dons never really recovered, became an also ran. Unfortunately coincided with the end of a purple patch.

McLeish didn’t shite it, he had a dodgy ankle at the end of that season and probably shouldn’t have played but as captain, felt he had no option 

4 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Hateley doing Watt early was a bad sign for the bad day that unfolded. 

Correct. Fucking assault and that was it. Guys confidence was totally shattered after that. As been said that effort from Van Der Ven was horrific, sure he had Gillhaus to the left of him too for a tap in