Sign in to follow this  
Sooper-hanz

Works of Art

I started one of these but it's been wiped thanks to the big cull of earlier this year. Anyways, not sure if this has legs but ..., what's your fav artworks, what stuff have you got up on the walls, pottery etc...,

Eh love this . Stood in Edinburgh once looking at it for ages. 

il-1588x-N-1507121117-9l3y.jpg

Screenshot-2020-12-31-at-00-29-01.png

Goya's Collosus. The one that took my breath away more than any other when I saw it in the Prado.

Edited by rocket_scientist

I used to go to Aberdeen Art Gallery numerous times in the 70's just to see this: -

Screenshot-2020-12-31-at-00-43-02.png

Titian's first essay in colour.

Bizzarely, they weren't hanging it in the first few months it reopened in the last year or so.

My other favourite from Aberdeen Art Gallery;

Screenshot-2020-12-31-at-00-48-01.png

Note to self; max 5 a day. I could flood this thread with hunners n thoosans.

Klee, Cezanne, Matisse, Miro, Kandinsky amongst many I will post.

Paul Klee possibly my favourite of all time. Even before I couldn't believe my luck a few years ago and tripped across a Klee exhibition at Tate Modern which did contain his Goldfish.

aye its a stunner..wid love tae see it in eh flesh..eh want fish magic tae hing alangside it..goat a coupla big rothko prints ehm ganna git reframed innaw

I first saw Mark Rothko at the Abstract Expressionism at the RA. My daughter was more teen with him than I was at the time as I was in a hurry to get to see Jackson Pollock etc., who I had never seen in the flesh. Saw a BBC4 documentary on Rothko 3/4 years ago and liked it and quite soon after came across the Rothko room at Tate Modern. Now a big fan and going to his Chapel in Texas is on the list, my only reason for ever going to Texas.

Forgot to say, Fish Magic was also in that exhibition. Pretty certain you will get to see it one day. Dunno where it hangs most of the time but Klee exhibitions will be regular things and those two will always be in them.

Christ of St John of the Cross by Salvador Dalí is captivating and one of my all time favourites.

Glasgow City Council sitting on a fortune having purchased it in 1952 for £8,200.

It's been attacked and ripped by the usual looney brigade.

_102030357_christ-of-st-john-of-the-cr.j

Edited by For Fecks Sake
adding more information
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mine too. The way they positioned it at the end of a cloistered walkway at the Kelvingrove was a spectacular visual introduction when I first saw it 30+ years ago. 

I'm in no way knowledgeable about art so I can offer no critical opinion on n anything posted. 

All I can say is what catches my eye, and that Goya piece, Colossus, is stunning. 

The one FFS has posted is also pretty powerful. 

B32-FE2-F8-FD7-A-4-C89-9-EE5-545-C2-CD7-

Aboriginal art, famous for its "dot paintings" is one of my favourite "styles". Never missed an exhibition when it came to town. Huge variety of colours and images within the "genre".

Does anybody have anything painted/taken by their own hand hung on a wall in their house?

I quite liking capturing photos but I do it on my phone in a point and click style. There's no skill or great technology being put to use. I just like to capture things and sometimes think it's be as well displayed!

David Hockney probably my favourite living U.K. artist. This chair is the first thing we see when entering the first great hall at Salts Mill (Saltaire, nr. Bradford - the biggest collection of Hockneys worldwide) and is about 8 feet tall: -

5-B60-C268-32-B4-43-A8-94-E4-F419-F5-D98

Not aware of other "sculptures" he's done but he was recently commissioned to do a huge stained glass window in Westminster Abbey. Not seen it yet as we bailed from the queue to get in at the start of 2020, too many fucking idiots gaan aboot.

Pearblossom Highway one of my favs: -

7737-E884-4-D33-4524-82-C5-306-F18106768

9 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

Who is the artist SH? Dutch?

Valaquez. Spanish fellow. 

18 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Valaquez. Spanish fellow. 

So it is. Velasquez. Never seen that one. Saw this by him - Meninas - a few years ago and stood in front of it longer than any other that day.

F8-B15-E01-D31-E-4974-96-D7-1-B4-D037-CD

I love that . The folk reflecting in the mirror being the conventional subjects  but the actual painting being their point of view . Ace

Edited by Sooper-hanz
  • Downvote 1

I read some blurb about that painting and they reckon that's the artist, Diego himself being depicted at the back. Some boy and would've been very innovative at the time, the 1600's. 

I've enjoyed a couple of treks through New York Metropolitan Museum of Art at the wife's behest. Impressed by the Dutch Masters section and French Impressionists. I just didnae get the modern art section downstairs though - I freely admit cos its probably above my head.

Guggenheim was a pile of pish in my heathen opinion - more modern type art / installations stuff rather than traditional paintings.